Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In college I used to make it with diced bell peppers, frozen (thawed) peas, a little onion and some diced salami or pepperoni (or sometimes hot dogs) and a dressing of mayo and mustard and herbs and maybe other stuff if I had it. I liked it, but almost nobody else does.

So I'm wondering, how do you like yours? I'm having a bbq this weekend, and would like to serve something that people want to eat. (and not leave me with a ton of leftovers)

·
Registered
719 Posts
My first thought was "on a plate, with some pepper." BUT...since you really want to know, I don't like in in a really heavy or overly sweet dressing and I honestly am not a fan of peas in mine. I usually do a mix regular mayonnaise and miracle whip or salad dressing, so that it's not too sweet. I do use the bell peppers and also a couple seeded coarsely chopped tomatoes, a couple chopped cucumbers, and some diced onion. Other than that, just seasonings. I don't use any herbs, but I'm sure they wouldn't ruin the salad.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
COLD- w/ tuna,black pepper,mayo and some thousand Is. If the kids don't have a say I like tiny bits of onion and celery chunks.
Never tried green pepper in it but have used black olives before.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Just plain salad dressing and mustard with relish. Sometimes I put a touch of vinegar in it...sure not fancy..I, myself would like peppers in it.

My ex-mother in law used to put in dill seed

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
You all seem to be describing what I would call pasta salad - in these parts, macaroni salad is macaroni, miracle whip-type salad dressing, itty-bitty pieces of carrot and celery, a little sugar and a little vinegar - sort of like a creamy cole slaw dressing.
I sometimes make a hybrid potato/macaroni salad if I've not got enough potatoes to feed the hungry mob - stretches the dressing and tightens the consistency up a bit.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You all seem to be describing what I would call pasta salad - in these parts, macaroni salad is macaroni, miracle whip-type salad dressing, itty-bitty pieces of carrot and celery, a little sugar and a little vinegar - sort of like a creamy cole slaw dressing.
I sometimes make a hybrid potato/macaroni salad if I've not got enough potatoes to feed the hungry mob - stretches the dressing and tightens the consistency up a bit.
Hehe, I didn't know there was a difference :eek: My mom always called it "macaroni salad" so that's what I figured it was lol. I guess that would explain why I never liked the GFS brand that our boss would buy for counter days (we would feed the plumbers, contractors, HVAC guys that came into our counter throughout the week) The GFS brands sounds exactly like what you described, and it was really really sweet, to me anyway. I just always thought it was too sweet and too boring compared to what I was used to lol.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Funny how things are called different names in different places! My late MIL was always taking about 'stuffed mangoes' - I thought it sounded revolting (as did a LOT of her cooking - but I digress) until she actually made it one night. Turns out what she called a 'mango' is actually a green bell pepper. It is common among older farm ladies around here to call it that, too, I've since discovered. :)

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I like mine simple....macaroni, peas, tuna, miracle whip, and hard boiled eggs.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I like it with an Italian twist: Italian dressing instead of mayo, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced pepperoni or cubed salami, and diced artichoke hearts.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I like mine with tomatoes, celery, green bell pepper, w/miracle whip, and a little mustard.

Reactions: fairydana

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Macaroni Salad 1/4 cup mayonnaise

1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pe
2-cups cooked macaroni(drained)
1/2 cupchopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
2-tablespoon chopped bell pepper

combine cooked macaroni,celery,onion,and bell pepper in a large bowl;toss to mix.In a small bowl mix mayonnaise add salt and pepper toss to mix well.Refrigerate several hours before serving.(you can add 1 Tablespoon vinegar with mayonnaise and mix until smooth if you like) I don't serves 4 when i am having lots company i just double or triple the recipe.This the best i have ate.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Hmm. I'm not fond of mayo in salads...so I do mine with italian dressing and whatever else seems good: a bit of minced onion, maybe peas, cherry tomatoes, whatever.

One of my favorite DINNERS now is what I call 4Ps: pasta, peas, parmesan, and pesto. We only get pesto in the summer, so it's a seasonal dish here.

Judi

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Yum, I love just Pesto on pasta.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
well, technically, macaroni salad is w/ mayo...pasta salad hasoil and vinegar (i use fresh lemon juice instead though)....

·
4,028 Posts
With canned tuna and green olive slices. I pour the olive juice/brine over the pasta so it can absorb the added flavor then I add the tuna and sliced olives. I then use mayo to keep it together. - Oh, since the pasta soaks up the brine it requires less mayo.

We love it here but not everyone likes green olives.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I just love it any way.......unless it has a 'sweet twang' to it........can't do 'sweet' for my macaroni salad.

Mine is.......mac, mayo, dill pickles, green onions, dill weed, white pepper, tad bit of mustard, sometimes some sliced olives, sometimes some radishes,.....mix, and if it needs more moisture (can't do 'dry' in my mac. salad either) I use pickle juice.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Ahhh! See now for us (from nyc), ~pasta~ salad is usually made using rotini twists and an oil and vinegar dressing, with italian herbs, and some fresh veggies and black olives.

~Macaroni~ salad is always elbow macaroni. I prefer mine using my father's old standby recipe, and it's pretty plain, but the bowl is always empty. But it's mayo, vinegar, olive oil, sugar, milk, go heavy on the black pepper, and parsley flakes. It must be made the night before to "work". Sometimes, it gets a little dry, but I just take a cup, throw in some mayo, sugar, vinegar, and milk, and pour it in and stir. Gets to where it needs to be. Whenever my niece comes down from NY, she always tells me to have some for her. My kids can't get enough of it, and I'm usually asked to bring it to BBQs.

Theresa :)

·
27,948 Posts
Lately my fav is Big Daddy's Megga Egga Macaroni Salad. This makes bunches so I halve or quarter it. Also use regular mayo, less salt & add some garlic. I do like putting the pasta in the fridge to get cold & dry out a bit before adding all ingredients and the worcestershire adds a nice flavor.

I almost always add a touch of mayo/dressing (depends on what salad I'm making) just before serving to freshen salads.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I love Macaroni salad but have never made it!! I am not a big fan of it having a sweet taste. I am going to try to make it using some of yalls recipes!! Thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. After thinking about it, I think the folks coming this weekend probably just don't like macaroni salad, as it seems to be a fairly bland dish and I don't believe making it sweeter will help.

I've decided to go with something I'm sure folks will eat, good old deviled eggs. Always the first thing gone at any picnic or BBQ we've had.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts