Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can honestly say that I've never had a dumpling before, but I hear people rave about them all the time.

Do you have a good recipe to share? A tried and true one?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Here is mine. We like it in stew or as chicken and dumplings.

1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. milk
2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp. melted butter or margarine

Mix in order given. Drop by teaspoon into soup or with chicken. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, making sure you do not lift the lid.

Eat immediately!!

Here is another variation:

Mix together:

2 c. flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt

Bring just to a simmer in a small saucepan:
3 tbsp. butter
1 c. milk

Add to dry ingredients. Stir with a fork or knead by hand 2 to 3 times until the mixture just comes togther. Drop by tsp and simmer same as above recipe.

tip - make sure you only drop about 15 - 18 in a large pot otherwise it will turn out like a pie crust rather than dumplings!! (Ask me how I know.) :eek:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I recently read that you can cut up flour tortillas, drop them into soup, and eat as dumplings. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like an interesting variation on traditional dumplings.

A friend of mine uses premade biscuit dough, just cuts it into chunks straight out of the tube.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I have to admit I use refrigerator biscuits for mine-right out of the tube. I boil my chicken, add some boullion cubes and a couple of cans of cream of chicken to the cooked chicken and when it comes to a rolling boil drop your biscuits (I tear them into 1/4s) into the broth. Place a tight fitting lid on them for a few minutes and that is it. The will float to the top, the secret is that you have to leave the lid on it until you are ready to eat, if you take it off earlier, they tend to get tough. Just wait till right before you are ready to put it on the table to add your biscuits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts