Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some issues getting my jewelry organized.....My grandmother passed away a few years ago, and I have some of her jewelry, also. I have lots of necklaces, pins, earrings and a few bracelets. Nothing really expensive----in case changes how you store them....currently, I have a jewelry box and the chains get knotted, hard time keeping two earrings together, etc....I would love some ideas.

thanks

Dawn

·
Registered
933 Posts
What I did for my daughter was take a cleaned out drawer and put in ice cube trays. They are stackable and you can get several in a drawer. Just pair up earrings and put individual chains in each ice cube spot and it keeps them from getting tangled. Its also inexpensive.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I am not crafty but my friend who is the earring queen made her 2 ear ring holders with small wire a pretty picture frame. It is beautiful way to display her ear rings. She made hers in white distressed wood very shabby chic. and CHEAP like 8 for both

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Dawn, I inherited a bunch of jewellery 4 years ago to go with my own. Thankfully it came with a variety of jewellery cases and pouches.

What I did initially was sort the good stuff from the obviously cheap and costume jewellery. The good stuff was put in a jewellery roll up velvet case.

I went through the cheap and costume jewellry to weed out anything that was of no use to me and had no sentimental value. That stuff was either given away or sold at a garage sale.

What remained of the cheap/costume necklaces I actually hung up on a jewellery rack I have that hangs behind my bedroom door, or put on display for frequent wear.

I just dumped the cheap earrings in a jewellery box that came specifically for earrings. Though I have heard about various ways to make earring trees, I've never tried making one. I'd need a whole forest!!!

I have taken cardboard egg cartons (the egg part) and spray painted them black to hold pendants, rings, and bracelets.

I also use wooden chocolate boxes (I don't know where these come from, but they're great!), line them with a bit of foam fabric from the fabric store, and store brooches in them. Regular flat boxes of any sort work well for this.

Also, don't overlook the local Dollar Store for small wooden boxes for the better jewellery. I have an antique pearl necklace and earrings right now that I am staining and sealing a small glass lidded box for. I will glue felt to the bottom of the box on the outside, and glue velvet on the inside. At least, that's the plan. Then I'll have a nice box to present to the young lady in question with Great Grammy's necklace and earrings.

My problem is I have so much jewellery in little boxes, etc., that I can never remember what I have or see it to decide what to wear. I tend to stick to the same 5 or so necklace/earring sets. It's just easier... My goal is to acquire a free standing jewellery storage case...one of the big ones. And get everything out where I can see it and make an informed decision.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Mine is all over the place. I have lots of little ornamental boxes that I keep stuff in.

I jewelery cabinet might be nice, but I don't know where I'd put one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
For necklaces, I have an over-the-door hanger (like this) on my closet door. That same hanger also holds me belts and scarves. No tangles.

Earrings and rings are all in a lidded plastic, compartmented box, like something sold for craft/fishing/hardware storage. This box lives on the back of my toilet for easy access.

Kara

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My dh bought me a really nice jewelry case a few years ago. It has glass doors on each end that open and I can hang my necklaces. There are 2 drawers for rings and 2 drawers for earrings. I have two that I wear often, they hang over the neck of a glass sitting hen that sits on top of the jewelry case...easy access for me.

A friend of mine displays hers on a bulletin board...she decorated cork tiles, attached them to her wall, put a fake frame around it and uses clear tack pins to hold the necklaces in place.

Reactions: dwnloom

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I have some metal tie hangers that were here when I moved in. They are meant to hang your ties over and to allow you to see what you have, and hold about 20 each. I put my necklaces on there, because they stay untangled and I can tell, at a glance, what is there, so it is easy to pick something out :)

My sister gave me a cute metal earring display rack, meant for commercial use, and it has two little curliques of metal, one on each end. I find those work well for bracelets and rings. :) (I don't have much of either of those, though.)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
RIBBONS...........have made all sorts of pierced earring holders out of ribbons........also for pins (but I don't have many of those).
Get grossgrain ribbon (one inch or wider works best)..........put it over a "hanging something"..........sew the top, and poke holes with post of earring.

Rings go on a ring holder (ceramic thing--this was a gift, but have seen them at thrift shops)...similar to this.
Lenox Dinnerware Opal Innocence Crystal Ring Holder

Necklaces are in either a jewelry holder---cloth one----or in jewelry box.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
You're supposed to organize that stuff? :toothy:

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
663 Posts
My sis who has MAJOR jewelry and a jewelry chest that's taller than me gave me some pointers. I keep the earrings in their original case, if possible. The rest go into ziplocks wrapped in a paper towel so they don't get scratched. I keep them in order as far as "work", "way to nice to even consider wearing to work" and stuff to wear everyday.

I don't have a lot of jewelry nor do I wear a lot of jewelry (when did bracelets get so big??) but I try and take care of what I have.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Cheryl, I think the organizing comes when you've got too much stuff scattered all over. I've got three generations of jewellery at my place from two sides of the family. Translates to 2 1/2 vanity drawers, the top of the vanity, part of a dresser drawer, a bunch on the dresser in a jewellery case (I have three of those) and necklaces hanging up behind the door. I'd like to get mine all in one place just to see what I have!

I was checking out jewellery armoires online and was amazed at how little space they had to hang necklaces. I'd be adding hooks like crazy for more necklaces! Don't know if that's the solution for me. Need to seriously look at the situation now it's been mentioned here.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
What I did for my daughter was take a cleaned out drawer and put in ice cube trays. They are stackable and you can get several in a drawer. Just pair up earrings and put individual chains in each ice cube spot and it keeps them from getting tangled. Its also inexpensive.
I am in love with the ice cube tray idea for earrings, rings, and small stuff. I have very little jewelry, and it's mostly stored in a mini plastic box, but I am going to try this ice cube tray idea. I think it would be awesome!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I have my necklaces on a jewlery hanger and some earrings on top then on the table by my bed I have the rest of my earrings in a jewelery heart shaped box. I have more in my jewelery box on my dresser.

Reactions: peanut
1 - 20 of 28 Posts