Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime we sit outside, or eat outside, we are bombarded with flies. How do you keep them away?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I have heard that fabric softener sheets will keep them away. I have never really tried it, but it would be worth a try.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
My step-mom fills plastic bags with water and hangs them. You can even add food coloring to the water. I think she adds blue. You have to use plastic bags for it to work though.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Mom23boys said:
My step-mom fills plastic bags with water and hangs them. You can even add food coloring to the water. I think she adds blue. You have to use plastic bags for it to work though.
We've done this for the past two summers and have noticed a SIGNIFICANT drop in flies. Even have one of those bug zappers hanging in the patio, and I've noticed we didn't have near the zaps with the bags of water. Never heard of the food coloring, but I did hear to put a penny in them. Just plain bags of water worked for us. Well worth the price of ziplocs.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I use the old fashioned stick fly tape that you hang. Works like a charm.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I don't get it...just ziplock bags of water? Zipped up?? huh? :brainy:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
My inlaws use the plastic bags of water also. They put the penny in the bottom of it but I don't know why. They take plain clear plastic bags and fill them with water and hang them around any area that they want to clear the flies out of. I think that they tie twine around the tops of them and hang them from the twine. I can vouch that it does work. :)

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I'm going to try the bags of water! I'll let you know how it works! DH will think that I'm nuts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts