Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have a really hard time with splurging. Usually there is not much left over in our tight budget /every dollar has a name. I do know, that little treats/rewards are a good thing, if done in moderation.
The other day, I wanted some fresh brussel sprouts. I found them at a country produce store but did not like the price. $ 3 a quart. I talked myself out of them that day. Well yesterday there I was again, looking at them and trying to say no. Well it didn't work this time, they came home with me. We had them for supper, done in the steamer. I told myself, it still was a cheap meal. The potatoes had been given to us from the cousin's garden, and the deer meat was given to us by my son. I think I am also feeling some quilt, because we should have used a veggie, that is in our freezer from this year. I guess my hubby liked them real well and felt no quilt, because the steamer was empty when I went back for a couple more. Note to self.......plant some next year :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I think that was a great splurge! its healthy and you got to share it with your family and everyone enjoyed it!

my veggie splurge is hot house cucumbers; at $2 a piece thats crazy!! Don't do it often but I do enjoy them when I do.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I agree that was a healthy splurge. My splurge was a chocolate chai yummy! Dh & I split a large at $3.75 was so worth it!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
That was healthy and cheap. My favorite frugal splurge is to go to the 'big' library in the next town over. They have a reading area for papers and magazines that is actually comfortable and homey. I get a latte at the coffee shop there ($3.00) and read all the magazines and papers ALONE! :coffee: I also sometimes beg dh to take the younger kids outside on Sunday and I nap. :sleepy:Luxurious. The other day we took the younger ones to the park and splurged on a $5 Little Caesar's Pizza and a $2 12 pack of Kroger pop. The kids thought they'd died and gone to heaven, LOL. :teddy2: It really is the little things.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I try not to feel guilty about healthy food. My daughter (11 now but younger at the time) was begging me for Asparagus one day at the grocery store and I said no because it was more expensive then I thought it should be . The more I thought about it the sillier it seemed to me to say no to 3.00 asparagus but yes to a 3.00 bag of doritos for a treat which I had done because thats how much they cost and they love them. That was my lightbulb duh moment. My kid is begging for a vegtable and I am saying no??? Thats insane. Needless to say she go the asparagus and I stopped obsessing about the extra 50cents or 1.00 a really healthy food costs when I know it will be eaten and enjoyed Glad you got your brussel sprouts and enjoyed them.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My big splurge is buying a bag of grapes. They are $3.98 a pound.But i love them and so do my grandsons.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
For me being frugal is not always about the price but more about not wasting things. So if I was going to buy expensive vegetables I'd make sure it all got eaten. I bought fresh raspberries last week, and I am eating a handful every day, because it would be a waste to have to toss them when they go bad.

When I see something on sale that I want, I have to ask myself "Will I use it?". Do I want it just because it is marked down? With food I know we will eat it, but it's not always wise to have a lot of cash tied up in groceries if you need it for other things.

I sew and quilt and have splurged a lot on fabric over the years. I feel sick sometimes looking at the THOUSANDS of $$$$ I have in fabric and knowing it has just been sitting for years and will sit for another decade before I get to use it. I've really really cut back on the splurges there. Now I only buy items that I have an immediate use for. Like yesterday, I bought embroidery floss for a project I am working on, and splurged on an ornament kit that I will put together for Christmas.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
as long as a splurge isnt everyday ( i think some people will rationalize a splurge daily if they really want to ) i see nothing wrong with it as long as you can pay cash for it whether it be a favorite veggie - or a cup of fancy coffee or a new videogame.
when i am going to splurge on something i usually take the money from somewhere else or work extra towards it if i am able to,

your veggies were healthy - tasty ( if you like them lol) - not real $$ and deprivation is the fastest way to make being frugal hard .

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
my splurge on a reg basis is # 1 magazines- i usually get subscriptions online cheap - - i read then while soaking in a hot tub ( a frequent thing in the cooler weather with my fibro ) and i often get coupons in them that when i use the coupoins makes the magazines free ( like the 5$ off any hallmark purchase in my family circle and oprah magzine this month - i will use towards holiday gifts )

peperidge farm raspberry turnovers - i will buy a few and stock up on on sale but i LOVE them

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't usually splurge on food (tight food budget), but if I feel like I want to spend some money, I go to the dollar store or thrift store.. No gilt..

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I find it funny that a lot of us being frugal consider buying a food item a luxury. Its true, we don't 'need' fancy coffees/chai lattes or overpriced/out of season produce but since we're going without it - it IS an indulgence.

My splurges are food items too. :blush: Usually a chai latte or a really good cup of coffee from the bigger named chains (non donut shop type variety) or that $5 chocolate bar (super dark ie 80% cocoa). If I'm going to splurge big: a meal out at a nice sit down type place but still far from a fancy high end place.

My latest splurge - I committed to buying a 1lb bag of organic coffee beans and a grinder and a lil latte whip. In the long run, it's more affordable for me to splurge more often this way (all paid for up front) and in the comfort of my own PJ's. :D

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I have health and beauty splurges. Most of the time they are from CVS. I can not just go and buy what I want when I want it, but I do follow their extra bucks and clearance racks. I clip coupons and try to combine the extra bucks & clearance rack sales. Most splurges I can walk away with a bagful of shampoos, makeup (mostly clearanced to 90% off and combined with coupon) body lotions, etc. for just a few dollars. I've even walked out of CVS paying absolutely nothing and have extra bucks to boot. Now those are good splurge days.

But, lately my splurges have been from the 25 cent soda machine at the food thrift store. I rarely drink soda and that machine just calls my name. They stock it with Fresca, my FAVORITE soda!

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I forgot to mention my other purchase when I bought the brussel sprouts. I bought a $ 1 bag of marked down produce. It had a head of lettuce, a cuke, tomato and a green pepper. So a couple of nice chef salads this week. It also had a butternut squash which I will steam and put in a couple of bags for part of my lunches in the freezer. Also 4 apples which went into a cake today. I was so focused on the price of the brussel sprouts, I felt guilty about spending over my comfort level for one item. But if I average that cost with the rest of my purchase, I really did okay :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Most of the time my splurges are food type items too.

I will buy whipping cream and make homemade butter. Not cheaper, by any means.........but so much better. And then I can enjoy the splurge for much longer.

This time of year my weakness is the 'seasonal creamers' for coffee. I usually don't drink cream in my coffee but I LOVE the peppermint mocha that Coffeemate has and it is only available this time of year. I will even watch for it to go on a 'good' sale and put one in the freezer!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
In the summer when shellfish are on sale I will splurge and buy what is on sale for that night. As long as it fits in the budget it is ok to purchase.

I get my hair done once a month.

If I feel like I need to buy something at the thriftstore I give myself two or three dollars ONLY and if I find something it is my lucky day.

I do really need to start shopping my closets and drawers again. I really do have a lot of stuff that I have forgotten about.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I like to splurge a little on candles. I love the foodie scents, they make the house smell like I have been baking! I like the carrot cake and banana bread ones.I stop by Dunkin Donuts and pick out one, just one, really yummy donut.I splurge and have a McDonald's frappachino. I never spend much, but I like little treats.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.