Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH can roast his own, and does, not regularly, but he does it. So I thought I'd try and get green coffee instead of roasted, as it is much more shelf-stable. I know where to get it, but I'm interested what the rest of you do, buy commercial cans of coffee?

I may do that for our "worst case" stockpile. I'll never get DH to go along with it otherwise.

The last can coffee I got was was cheap and I got it for the giveaways I do regularly to the food pantry, out of work friends, etc.

But I'm married to a coffee snob. Any suggestions other than buying green coffee beans? Please ignore the coffee snob bit and tell me how you stockpile coffee or do you figure it's a luxury? :coffee:

Judi

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well, I am also a coffee snob. :)
My favorite is Newman's Own Organic Vanilla Caramel.
http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/Coffee/Newmans-Own-Vanilla-Caramel-Coffee
At my store, it is usually about $9 a bag. It is on sale now for $2.50 off per bag. So, basically when I find a sale like that....I buy as many as I can. We have tried cheaper brands, but they just don't taste as good. Even at $9 a bag, it is still cheaper than buying a cup at Dunkin Donuts or Tim Hortons. :)

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I have 7 cans but I have a keurig K cup system that I use the k cups in. I also bought the filter so i can use my own coffee.

One thing I try to do is not buy too much canned coffee when it is on sale because I am the only one who drinks coffee here and it will go out of date(although I have since learned that on most non dairy foods the expiration date isn't set in stone).

I just gave away 2 cans to my MIL because they were dated Sept and Oct 2010 and I have too much to use it in time. It was a great price but chalk it up to a lesson learned there.

·
Registered
639 Posts
We stockpile coffee as cheaply as possible...no brand loyalties. A few small or large can of whatever is on sale...it does have to be lite ( half caffeine0 though.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I have 7 cans but I have a keurig K cup system that I use the k cups in. I also bought the filter so i can use my own coffee.

One thing I try to do is not buy too much canned coffee when it is on sale because I am the only one who drinks coffee here and it will go out of date(although I have since learned that on most non dairy foods the expiration date isn't set in stone).

I just gave away 2 cans to my MIL because they were dated Sept and Oct 2010 and I have too much to use it in time. It was a great price but chalk it up to a lesson learned there.
Typo--that should read 2009. Somehow I lost a year:abduct:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
DH can roast his own, and does, not regularly, but he does it. So I thought I'd try and get green coffee instead of roasted, as it is much more shelf-stable. I know where to get it, but I'm interested what the rest of you do, buy commercial cans of coffee?

I may do that for our "worst case" stockpile. I'll never get DH to go along with it otherwise.

The last can coffee I got was was cheap and I got it for the giveaways I do regularly to the food pantry, out of work friends, etc.

But I'm married to a coffee snob. Any suggestions other than buying green coffee beans? Please ignore the coffee snob bit and tell me how you stockpile coffee or do you figure it's a luxury? :coffee:

Judi
We roast our own also. It tastes heavenly. I love doing it actually. In between though I have a couple different organic brands that I love and stock the whole bean as it lasts longer and grind myself. It is cheaper per pound with the whole bean and you aren't getting the fillers that they use in canned already ground.

·
Banned
952 Posts
coffe is coffee in our house. I buy the beans already roasted and grind them here at home. I use a fairly fine grind and it seems to last longer that way. However, I also buy canned coffee when it's a good buy at the grocery store. I figure it's vacuumed sealed and in a can so it should last awhile as long as it's not in high heat area of storage. I also have a number of boxes of teas stored. I'm thinking I may have combined like boxes and vacuum seal them on my own.

I wonder if you could do that too. Roast your beans and then vacuum seal them and store them for later use?

·
Registered
130 Posts
We buy instant coffee here, usually a stores own brand. I bought a large can of it today, but will also buy the usual jars too as I want to use those for storing dehydrated food.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The general rule for ALL foods for optimum storage is oxygen-free and as cold as possible. If the food can be frozen, it will store longer at 0°F or colder much longer. You can use a FoodSaver for vacuum-sealing coffee or in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers in them to remove the oxygen.

You might get some helpful information from this link:

http://www.survivalblog.com/2006/08/letter_re_canned_coffee_beans_1.html

·
Registered
841 Posts
I put mine in the freezer in air tight bags.....works like a charm and doesn't affect taste at all. Its roasted, ground, and stored.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I buy starbucks at our salvage store for $2.99 a bag (whole bean). I store it in the freezer and have never had trouble. Alot of the time I will mix it w/folgers in the can to stretch the starbucks. Alot of the time I don't.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I don't stockpile more than about a month's worth of coffee at a time. I buy it on-line from Java City, and when I have about half of a pound left, I know it is time to re-order. I guess I consider it more of a luxury than something I want to give up a lot of storage space to have, even though I drink it daily.

I've thought about trying to roast my own, as I have a catalogue from Williams Brewing Company that has all the necessary equipment, but I like my one particular brand (Vienna Roast) so much, I'm concerned that I'd invest all the money in a roaster and then not like "homemade" as much.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I am not loyal to any brand. I have my preferences of course but if its on sale and I have the extra money I buy it. Dh and I both like it and drink it everyday so it goes fast here. I have a grinder and can buy it whole bean if its cheap enough and grind it here. I know my grandma always said if you put it in the freezer it would last a good long time.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dad used to buy 10 or more pounds of beans at a time and freeze them, but then he was "crazy" because he was fussy about his coffee in the 50's and 60's (before Starbucks, etc.) The whole bottom basket of the freezer was always full of coffee. Of course, he had to go into downtown L.A. or Beverly Hills to buy it, not the corner store....

Judi

·
Registered
651 Posts
Were not fussy here coffee is coffee last spring I stocked piled 6 months ahead I bought Maxwell and Folgers we are now using the last plastic tub .Here coffee is 6.00 to 12.99 last spring it was 5.00 this is for the big plastic containers . I did have to give away 1 container. I had no problems with the taste and the containers store nicely under the bed lol.

·
4,028 Posts
Greebo and I enjoy our local coffee roaster (20 min drive) and used to purchase a wide variety of flavors (1/2 to 1 pound of whole beans) twice a year that I would need to find a home for. I really looked forward to this trip and considered it a date as we always went together.

In my desire to eliminate things from my dining room I decided I would purchase coffee monthly and just get 2 pounds which I can easily store in the basket with the grinder. We make this our coffee date and usually each get a free cup of coffee since we buy 2 pounds. I really look forward to this date more than any of the other errands we do together.

So no more stockpiling coffee for us and woohoo to a monthly coffee date with my man.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I buy alot of coffee when it goes on sale, or if I have a coupon. Right now, we are buying Merlita brand, at Walmart it is $2.68/can and I have 3 $1 off coupons.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I buy coffee when it is on sale......the kinds I like only.....and keep it in my freezer. The bags in current use stay in the cupboard.

I don't like Starbucks or Folgers among others. (tried a BUNCH of them) I do like Java, Java Time, Whitecloud (it is out of Boise), Dunkin Donuts is 'okay', Kona, and couple others. I buy beans or ground....whatever is on sale. I don't prefer a fine grind so if I grind it at home I would call it a medium grind. I mix my coffee and have 1/2 regular flavor and 1/2 vanilla.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts