Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Bumping this thread..I don't yet have a vacuum sealer or oxygen absorbers. Can I store food in regular freezer bags, in the freezer, until I a. Have enough to fill a jar, and b. I can order oxygen absorbers? It was all I could swing this time to buy the dehydrator..

· Registered
86 Posts
Dehydrated food doesn't need to go in the freezer. A freezer is an expensive way to store food so you want to conserve room for what really needs to go there.

I personally don't like to remove oxygen from dehydrated food. Mold and mildew won't grow in a vacuum but other nasty bugs will. I prefer to lose a food to mold instead of losing a loved one to Listeria. So, I store dehydrated food in canning jars or freezer bags but I don't worry about oxygen eliminators or vacuum packing. Properly dehydrated food is shelf-stable all on its own.
Glad to hear! I was getting a bit worried with all the talk of vacuum sealers and O2 packets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.