Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continually bring junk food or candy over for the kids?

Because I have changed my eating habits, I've been slowly changing our families overall eating habits as well. They won't ever be vegetarian (well for now anyways), but I've quit bringing junk food or candy into our home. The kids haven't protested at all because I'm purchasing way more fruit which they love.

But our generous neighbour is always bringing junk food or candy over to them. How would you tell her not to?

Before you share your thoughts, this neighbour is a wonderful neighbour who loves to share, but is very strong willed in the way she thinks. She always asks the kids how did they like the chips or how did they like the candy? I don't want the kids lying and yet I'm not quite sure how to handle this I've never been in this type of situation before.

Thoughts....

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I would just be honest with her and tell her that you and the kids are on a healthier path ................

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I agree with Lori.:) If you feel comfortable with it, maybe you could give her some suggestions as to some healthy options that the kids would enjoy.:D

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
OK I KNOW this is bad but I'm not sure I could say it without lying!

I think I'd say I'd noticed that sweets etc are making them hyper and giving them headaches so although I REALLY appreciated the gifts I would appreciate it MORE if she could now give them fruit or something instead.

I'm really wimpy when it comes to other peoples feelings (unless I've lost my temper!)

Sorry - but I'd lie! :( (I shouldn't really have said that should I?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it a HUGE amount of sweets and snacks? How often does she bring it over? If it were me personally, wouldn't let it bother me too much unless it was VERY excessive.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roseanne - its not excessive, but a couple times a week. The thing that bothers me is she asks the kids if they liked it. I don't want the kids lying or telling her "mommy threw it in the garbage" and I don't want to hurt her feelings because in all other respects she is a wonderful and caring neighbour.

Lori, thats a great suggestion except that she is in another world (she is quite a different lady) and doesn't understand healthy eating!!! I've tried but I get a couple of words out and she is on another subject, kwim!!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I think I would just try and bring up the exciting new way you are eating and how much the kids love it. Tell it in a way that is so exciting that she will hopefully catch on. I would really brag on how they love fruit, etc. and how glad I am that they are giving up candy. Congrats on eating so healthy.

pat

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Perhaps save the snacks and serve them to her when she comes over.
I would just be plain and tell her I appreciate her thoughtfulness but we no longer allow the children those kids of foods.
If she continues to bring the junk, just be sure you are the one to greet her and kindly ask her to take it home.:D

·
Registered
325 Posts
You could save the snack stuffs for Friday night, let them have just a little (especially helpful if they have friends over for a movie) and toss the rest. Then, they could give a report without lying or having to eat more than you want them to. Just an idea in case she chooses not to hear you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts