Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No fabric goes to the trash from my sewing room! I make 3 sorts for fabric scraps: 3 inch square, 1 1/2 inch strips, and tiny slivers.

The tiny slivers and other misshaped are used to fill up a pillow case, then I make a pillow. And my favorite is the string quilts from the strips.

What do you do with scraps?

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Sometimes I use them as appliques. If I have strips, I use them for string quilts. It really depends on the fabric & size/shape. Bigger "scraps" I use for undies for the kids, sleeves, bindings, collars, etc.

If I can't figure out what to do with it, I ask my sewing friends if they can use it and then give it to them.

Reactions: Debbie-cat

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:clap: I'm impressed making undies. Wish I had thought about that when my granddaughter was younger. Now, she is sewing quilts with me, but handmade undies would be a noo. About all the grands will go for is pj pants.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I don't buy store bought fabric, I reuse old clothing, blankets, etc. for all of my sewing, so I end up with some weird shaped scraps.

But here, nothing goes to waste either. I use them for various things; appliques, fabric beads, jewelry, decopage, just all kinds of stuff!

Hee hee hee, I make my own undies too. Just for myself though, Dh and the kids would never go for it! It's so much cheaper and I can make way cuter undies than I can buy!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Quilts, doll quilts (for the tiny scraps), and rag rugs.

·
19,119 Posts
What great ideas!! Vickilynn, I love how organized you are with your scraps!! I feel as if I have wasted soooo much fabric!! But never more!! Never thought about stuffing pillows with tiny scraps!!

Never knew what they were called, but the many pillows that I made last Christmas were string quilts!! Love that there is a name for them.

In the past, I used all of my scraps for patchwork quilts, cannot even recall how many I made - well over 50!!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I read that people were using fabric scraps for dog beds.....I thought and why not for people pillows....it makes a great stuffing for a large pillow that my grands use to lay around on the floor.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I forgot about my kids digging through my scraps to make clothes/blankets/beds for their stuffed animals & dolls.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Great ideas everyone! Thanks for sharing. I am going to have to try a few of these ideas out. :)

Reactions: mauimagic

·
19,119 Posts
Check out Peanut's quilt squares in "Quilt square a week" - she's got some great patterns that would work well with scrap squares too!!

Reactions: vlmurray

·
19,119 Posts
Canadamom - what size seams do you use and do you sew by hand or machine? Would love to see one of yours.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I use them for scrap quilting. But I often don't start with yardage. I often start with clothes too. I love men's cotton shirts for quilting...really nice sturdy fabric.

I also do string quilts. There's really very little that has to be thrown out by the time I'm done organizing my fabric. That always surprises me. Just cutting it and sorting it into bags or folding it to fit in a drawer saves a lot of space!

·
Registered
742 Posts
It is interesting that you stuff pillows with small scraps of fabric. I was recently going through some stuff at my parents' house and found an old embroider pillow that my grandmother had made. I was really dirty and lumpy. My mom wanted to toss it, but I was convinced that it was salvageable. In order to wash it we decided to unstuff it. It was stuffed with small fabric scraps. I had never seen anything like that.

Reactions: vlmurray

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been making a Christmas placemat using the crazy patch pattern. Wow did the little scrap box fill up. Should have enough to fill another pillow case soon, then I'll make a large floor pillow for one of the dgc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts