Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cat that will let me dress her up without any complaining.

The other day I purchased a pet carrier that you carry over your shoulder. Wanted one in case I needed to walk to the vet with my cat. So I picked up the large cat and put her in the carrier. I figured if she fits the other one will. So I plopped her in and proceeded to zip up the bag. She seemed to want to put her head out so I adjusted the bag so she could. Then I hear a really faint choking noise coming from her. I unzip the bag thinking oh she is going to be so mad. She walks out and proceeds to rub up against things and purrs. Later on when the bag was still out she walks by it. I then realize she is literally bigger then the bag. But she still let me stuff her into the too small pet carrier. It just reminded me how sweet she is. Plus I really need to get a larger carrier. lol

Anyone else have a really docile pet?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I had a cat that would ride around in my bookbag in college. I took her to the vet once and got a really dirty look from the doctor. I just said "Hey, I didn't force her into it, she seems to like it and isn't struggling to get out." After we were done with the visit I just held the open bag for her and she crawled in right in front of the vet.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
When Josie (my golden retriever that I love to death) graduated puppy class they put her in a sit and placed a graduation hat on her for pictures. She didn't move, she was the only dog that held still for three pictures without caring about the hat. I was so pleased!! She's very docile when she isn't eating the house.

·
Registered
719 Posts
So docile you'd wonder if he had a pulse. When he was a kitten and I was 8 or 9, he'd let us put a baby bonnet on him, wrap him in a blanket in stick him in one of those plastic shopping carts with wheels (you know the kind, they were stuffed with fake food boxes and such.) We then tied a jump rope to the handle of the shopping cart and pulled him around the kitchen island. He slept through it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
not docile at all, actually the complete exact opposite of docile. I get routinely attacked.

I envy you more than you could know.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Our Rottweiler is very docile. He always wears a Santa hat at Christmas and will let me put any other hat on him. The kitties now sleep with him and walk on him and he doesn't care at all. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Our English Staffie was very docile. We were walking her downtown once and she was sitting on lead while I was talking to someone. Someone stepped on her tail. She yellped stood up and all she wanted was a pat on the head. My daughter when she was a little followed her every where. When my daughter was about two she was asleep in the chair and Lily got up and went to sleep with her. I miss her so much. She passed away several years ago.

The dog we have now Cinnamon. He is not at all. Although he likes to wear sweaters and shirts, and will let my daughter put them on him.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Our Rottweiler is very docile. He always wears a Santa hat at Christmas and will let me put any other hat on him. The kitties now sleep with him and walk on him and he doesn't care at all. :)
:thud:

Wow, our Rotts are complete polar opposites...
My Nikko is just a very big baby with the family, but not really docile...
As far as anyone else, :yikes: he's a very large dose of extreme trouble, not social AT ALL.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Anyone else have a really docile pet?
I have one of each.

Although both of them love to put on coats, scarves, collars ---whatever. One is neurotic - hyper and one is laid back.

The one in my avatar fights with me constantly over alpha bitch, very demanding, her life revolves around food. Doesn't much like to even sit on your lap. I think she gets too hot. I think she is a neurotic, genetic mess!

My other - Oreo- is a couch potato. As long as he has a lap to sit on, he is happy. Loves to love. He goes with me to a nursing home that I visit. Loves to get up on the laps and give kisses.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Generally she is in the middle. She barks at the door, and she wont let strangers get too close to me without checking them out, but once she knows you, she is mellow. She loves to get into her bag, sit quietly and be taken places.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Dogs:
Hunter (border collie) is docile with us alone. With other people apart from ins "pack" he isn't in the teeniest bit docile. In fact he's rather aggressive. He's very very protective. But with us, he's a cuddlebug.
Emma (beagle) youd wonder if she had a pulse too. You can do anything with her. She'd DD's living shadow

Cats:
Frack is our male. He'll let DS1 do anything to hom. No one else.
Frick is our female. Not a docle bone in her body

Chickens
Black Beauty and Red Riding Hood (that's what I get for letting the kids name them) Love DD and will put up with anything she does.
Matilda is the gentlest thing ever. She'll flatten out and let you pet her for hours.
Thelma and Louise are spazzes and you can't touch them.

Ducks
Dumb and Dumber are spazzes and don't like anyone
Betty and Wilma Will enjoy being picked up and loved on.
All four though will follow me all over the yard.

Quail
Sneech Loves DD. She doesn't flip out when DD picks her up and puts barbie hats on her.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Our Suki Girl was either on one side of the fence or the other with you. If you were male and not part of her regular pack you better watch yourself in our home. She'd let you inside as long as we said it was okay but she'd watch you and just wait for you to make the wrong move. Once my nephew thought he'd have some teenage horseplay with DS1, he wrapped his arm around my son's neck and started pulling him backwards. Huge mistake, she made it really clear, really quick that he had seconds to release him or he was going to face her wrath. He let DS1 go, but she never trusted him EVER again and used to plant herself right in front of him when he sat on the sofa. If he even looked like he was thinking of horseplay she'd give him a really stern reminder. The mailman, the oil guy, or any stranger that dared knock on our door knew without any doubt that she was on guard. Women were not the exception to the rule, and she could not be bribed into accepting you.

On the other hand

The very last days of her life she was in so much pain and So, So Sick and yet so sweet. She allowed all kinds of poking, the vet pulling on her and twisting her to shave her fur for surgery. They repeatedly commented that she was just as sweet as they come, never snapping or being cross with them despite her obvious pain. The vet marveled at just how docile she was for a Chow. After a particularly rough go on the exam table, she hobbled out of the exam room in extreme pain. She spied a little girl about 7 or 8 and hobbled over to her and leaned up to her. She just wanted a pet from the little one, even in all that pain she displayed gentleness. With us, little kids and cats, she was as docile as a little lamb. She even let DS2 dress her up in crazy outfits even though she'd rather not.

She was extremely smart and knew when to be protective and when to be mellow. I once chided her for giving the UPS guy a hard time and not wanting him to reach towards me with that thing to sign. She obeyed and sat squarely in front of me in case he had any other ideas. After I signed for the package I looked down and saw that she had her teeth displayed, all silent and deadly, but true to her orders she did not move or do anything threatening. She just wanted him to be sure he understood that if I gave the okay she was more then willing to rip into him.

My shadow, boy do I miss her.

Thanks for this thread, I needed to her some dog stories!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Does this give you a clue?

Molly (above) is very laid back. My youngest son carries her around like a rag doll most of the time. She has her claws and never uses them.

Our big dog, Carmen, is the biggest baby ever. Ds stepped on her foot yesterday...she just yelped & moved her foot. Then went over to him for ear scratches :rolleyes: She is the sweetest dog ever, would never hurt a flea, lets me dress her in her sweater (that I knitted for her). I wub her :heartsm:

·
Registered
223 Posts
My yellow lab couldn't be more docile. She's a huge baby. I've stepped on her tail, tripped over her, fell on top of her...and she hardly even yelps. She has never shown any aggression to any human or animal (except frogs...she plays with frogs by throwing them in the air and catching them). She just loves everyone. She mothers the other two dogs, and is protective of her humans in a docile way, lol. If someone she doesn't know comes over, she plops herself beside the baby, and won't let that person near him until we tell her its okay. I spent most of my pregnancy on bedrest and when I wasn't in the hospital, she was my helper dog. The medicine to stop contractions lowered my blood pressure, so whenever I got up to use the bathroom, she'd walk up against me, so I could hold on.

The only area where she's NOT docile is when it comes to food. She knows how to open the cabinets and fridge...and she's big enough to get anything left on a counter. She's stolen food from the other dogs, and has even walked right up to a human and snatched food off their plate. If you try to take it away from her, she'll tug with all her might, and then run and hide.

The other two dogs are also fairly laid back. They're both mutts. The female is the alpha dog in the house, and has known to be aggressive to other animals. She was also severely abused before we adopted her, so if she feels threatened, like if you accidentally step on her, she will sometimes revert back and growl and bare her teeth. She hasn't bit anyone yet, though. The rest of the time, she just wants to be loved on, and is the perfect, sweet little girl.

The other mutt is a recent addition, also from the pound, and also previously abused. He's still technically a pup, so he likes to play rough, and is extremely hyper. He's learning though, and is also very well behaved around the baby.

My recently deceased cat...he was a completely different story. If he needed food or water, he'd attack you until he got it. People would come over and we'd tell them explicitly to NOT touch him. They'd pet him and play with him, and say "oh, he likes me," or "I'm a cat person, he won't do anything." Seconds later, they'd be pulling back a bloody stump of a hand. I loved my kitty, and was about the only person he wouldn't bite...but we sure did go through a lot of peroxide and Neosporin the 11 years he was in our lives.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My kitty is pretty good most of the time, and in the evening in particular she insists on snuggling up to me to sleep - nice in the winter. not so much in this heat. She does get into some naugty behavior, like just right now when she jumped into the drawer of mjy nightstand, almost tipping it over - chasing some little moth that got her attention.

Dressing up - no chance!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts