Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our green bean seeds rotted in the ground. I am thinking of buying some at farmers market if it is a frugal price. However, I have never frozen green beans, just used to can them, and I can't can anymore cuz of stovetop. If u freeze them, how do u do it, and do they really taste like good green beans when you freeze them and then cook them?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
The ball blue Book says to cut off ends, cut beans in 2-4 inch lenghts, or to fit the container,the beans in longer lenghts are of best quality, blanch for 3 minutes, cool, pack in freezer bags or containers or vacuum package.

I freeze beans and they are wonderful, as long as they dont freezer burn, The ball book has a whole section on freezing. Hope this helps

Thers also a website, pick your own, that helps with freezing, canning, dehydrating..its a good site.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
What Pinetree said. I haven't done it for a long long time but that's exactly what I did and my ex mother in law. Used Ziplock though and didn't cut cost on quality freezer bags. If you have a ton of them though I'd suggest using a foodsaver and their bags if you have access to one. Thicker bags and will stay good even longer.

Reactions: Buckeye5

·
Registered
131 Posts
I freeze green beans regularly and I don't actually blanch them. Personally, I think they are better than store bought frozen green beans and super easy to put up. You may prefer to blanch yours but even then its not difficult.

Reactions: Buckeye5

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I freeze them too.....I used to blanch but no longer do ( after reading several articles saying you do not need to blanch) maybe do some each way and see what you think. I do flash freeze them on a baking sheet then put in quality freezer bags, that way I can just grab out a few handfuls to throw in soups and such. We aren't big green bean eaters here.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I never blanch any of my veggies. Just like the texture of the un-blanched better! I will be freezing some packs of green beans this year, but I mainly can them as well. I'm sure they will taste better than store bought! My green peppers we froze, still was a bit crisp even!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I had always canned them until last year. I just took the ends off and snapped them and put in freezer bags. I didn't even wash them.. All winter when I wanted green beans I would take out that I wanted from the bag as they wasn't stuck together. I washed them under running water and put in soup or blanched them for a minute in boiling water and then fried the steamed them or how ever I wanted them fixed. We liked them better that store bought. They were like fresh any way I fixed them..

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you you all for the response, I believe I will be doing this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts