Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an Illinoisian, we almost look at the political situation going on here in IL as normal politics, as sad as that is.

Our second consecutive governor is most likely going to jail, and it pretty much is business as usual now. Politics here is so corrupt, it comes as no shock when he got arrested earlier this week. Here in Illinois, this is nothing new, from Chicago politics, to a state level, even here in a small town on a local level we have this type of politics (my current alderman was under investigation for taking kickbacks from construction companies for city contracts).

I'm just curious if this happens everywhere or if the world is looking down on us in Illinois? What are your thoughts? While we are disgusted by this here, we are not totally surprised? How does the rest of the world feel about it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
All politicians are liars and scum.

That being said;

Here in South Carolina we have a problem with laziness. The politicans are nowhere near as corrupt as the governor your state is inflicted with. Our politicians just never get anything accomplished. They grand stand a lot, and name bridges and intersections after themselves, but they don't do much.

I must admit, that most of the people I have talked to about the Illiniois situation feel that it is just status quo for the state. Sorry to say it, but it does not seem suprising that a political scandal came from there.

*insert snide comment regarding any future president from Illinois here*

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't live too far from Illinois, and my sister lives in Kenosha. She's about as unshocked as can be. I'm not shocked exactly either, but that's not because of Illinois exactly. It's because I have an inherent distrust of anyone who wants to hold public office, and figure they are all "no better than they should be". I'd like to believe better of certain specific individuals, and realize this is a serious flaw for a member of the voting public, but I've seen too much to root it out of my system forever.

However, hearing about his does make think about Chicago in the early part of the 20th century and how incredibly corrupt everything was back then.

I can't really look down on folks from that area. I mean, you've got to pick someone who actually runs and wants the job. If everyone who runs for office is either unethical or immoral (or frequently both) you are by default going to elect someone unethical or immoral (or both).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Ok....first off...no, I was not surprised. I believe the past several governors of Illinios has been in jail or convected of something. Oh well. I am from Pikeville, KY and being from a small town, I can most certainly tell you politics was/probably still is, dirty.

Just hold your head high knowing that your state is not the only corrupt government running amuck.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
BTW..I just heard on the news the Gov's approval rating is 8%.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I'm just across the river from IL, and your politics is BIG news here! The general consensus is that Illinois is controlled by a political machine that is corrupt through and through. This has been the picture for years. My grandmother told me that even in the '20s and '30s that her town was called "Little Chicago" because of corruption that mimicked Chicago. It's a shame because a lot of ethical people are tainted by association and place. They say that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. My feeling is that Chicago/Springfield politics have had absolute power for quite some time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
No state is perfect. Controversy can pop up anywhere. It does seem to me that Illinois has more than their share of bad politicians, and it seems to cross into so many areas. I don't mind when they get what's coming to them, but I feel bad for the citizens in Illinois that have to be getting the short end of the deal somewhere because of the corruption.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah, I don't think anyone is shocked. I know what it feels like though to have a high ranking political official from your state do something stupid/illegal/ I am from Idaho and we are the proud consituents of Larry Craig (remember him? the old guy that tried to solicit another guy for sex in the airport bathroom) yeah those were proud times for all Idahoans let me tell you. We all know it isn't a reflection of the citizens of the state.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Without turning this into a DEBATE, I think its sad for the people of Illinois. I also think this will affect the incoming president.
I was just going to say, this sounds like a potential DEBATE! All I will say is I was not shocked in the slightest that this happened though.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
All politicans are scum. I feel sorry for the people in the state where there is no accountability and assistance. It is the politicians fault, NOT the people of the states fault.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well, I'm just giggling that for once, the spotlight is off Detroit and our horrible corrupt politicians . . .
that being said, it's sad how this happens over and over again in our great country.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I seriously doubt he goes to jail. That said, in AZ we kicked out two governors and replaced them and now we're losing our current one to go to DC for Obama's cabinet.

What Blagovich (sic) did is not a reflection on IL, it is a reflection on himself.

·
Registered
229 Posts
All politicians are liars and scum.

That being said;

Here in South Carolina we have a problem with laziness. The politicans are nowhere near as corrupt as the governor your state is inflicted with. Our politicians just never get anything accomplished. They grand stand a lot, and name bridges and intersections after themselves, but they don't do much.

I must admit, that most of the people I have talked to about the Illiniois situation feel that it is just status quo for the state. Sorry to say it, but it does not seem suprising that a political scandal came from there.

*insert snide comment regarding any future president from Illinois here*
There are just as many every day people who are scum, not just politicians.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts