Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you made any preparations for the "change of life" once you've hit a specific age? Are you reading as much as you can to find out what will happen to your body, the changes that will come over it? Are you looking at alternative therapies at all?

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I hit my 'change of life' instantly 2 years ago after my hysterectomy! There was no preparing for that. :eek:

Last summer was the worst. I don't have 'hot flashes' mine are more like heat waves that could last up to 15 hours or more! :yikes:

This last winter with our temps outside in the minus category, I would be in shortsleeves most of the time. I don't sleep well, have night sweats and am tired all the time.

I am just now looking into alternative therapies as I cannot take anything with estrogen. I have a doctor's appt. on Wed., so hopefully I can get some more info.

Anyone have any ideas???

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
This is really scary to me!!! My Mom went through the change in her late 40's! I am 41 and I think I have had a hot flash or 2 in the last year or so. They were the most obnoxious and uncomfortable feelings I had ever had, it was awful!!!

I keep saying I am going to get lots of info so that I understand what will happen but I haven't!:( I think since my Mom was so young I really need to educate myself so I am ready when it happens!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I have been reading up on the different therapies available and I take calcium supplements to combat osteoporosis. I would prefer to use a natural herbal regime as opposed to medications when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I am smack dab in the middle of perimenopause and I was looking everywhere for some relief. I tried an OTC perimenopause pill but it made things worse, not better. Remifenin, or something like that, it was.

What I finally found help in was a book I recently bought called "Before the Change" - taking charge of your perimenopause - by Ann Louise Gittleman.

I saw this author on Dr Phil and decided to give her methods a try. I bought all the vitamins and minerals and supplements she listed in the book and have been taking them for over a week now. I think they are helping with hot flashes and tiredness.

I hope that helps anyone who is looking for some answers. I highly recommend this book. I read it for free from the library and thought it was worth buying.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Well Ladies hate to rain on everyones parade, but here goes....When I was 32, they removed my uterus, beacause of cancer {instant Hot Flash} Then when I was in my early 50's, They found an endometreal [sp] tumor on the ovary, removed both ovaries & of course, the tumor. Well now if I thought from 32-50 was bad!!!! This was worse & at almost 69 I still have them, they just don't come as often. Mostly if it is very warm or I am upset or tired out. Well Ladies that's all the Good News from me. Have a great evening all.;)

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw her on Dr. Phil as well and I agree with everything she said. I think it would be an excellant book for every woman to read and at least see if they can make the whole "change" be positive rather than negative.

·
27,948 Posts
This being a woman thing is a tough road to hoe all the way around. I'm at the start of that journey and am glad I have "women friends" who can help me through it all. Could you imagine if this stuff happened to guys?:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well my mother had an early change and so did I. I really didn't prepare for it. The doctor put me on estrogen which caused me terrible migraines. That all started in my late 30's. Well, now I am 56 and I do have hot flashes once in awhile but otherwise I haven't noticed anything else. Now my dh may say something else, about my temperment, but we won't ask him. Can't be any worse than pms. I had a friend who had migraines until she went through menopause and with me I started the migaine's with menapause. I do take calcium but can't take the estrogen.

Renie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts