Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~Or, "How my Vitamix has already paid for itself". :p

Last year I was spending about $20 a month on organic milk(about $.40 cup). I now make a simple rice milk from cooked white or brown rice and filtered water that works perfectly in almost all my recipes(about $.03 a cup). I still buy some milk.
Monthly savings: about $15

Last year I was spending $10 a month on cage-free brown eggs(about $.21 each). I now make a goo with golden flax meal and water than also works in most of my recipes(about $.07 per replacement). I still buy some eggs.
Monthly savings: about $5

Last year I was spending about $20 a month on organic butter($5lb). I now make my own vegan butter with coconut oil, homemade rice milk, sunflower oil and lecithin($2.25lb). I still buy some butter.
Monthly savings: about $10

Last year I was spending $20 a month on store bought bread for the kids($.07 ounce). Now I'm making 4 loaves a week homemade($.04 ounce). I still buy some bread.
Monthly savings: about $10 a month

Total monthly savings: about $40! Or 57%!

For those of you interested in how much time these things take, I kept track and it's about 20 minutes a week/90 minutes a month making my hourly rate $26.50. YMMV. ;) ~

·
Registered
423 Posts
Total monthly savings: about $40!
So you spent $600 on a Vitamix to save $40/m? And to give yourself 'new work'?

You could use pasteurized milk instead of organic, that would save about $20/m.
You buy eggs from govt approved caged-hens and save $10/m.
And use store brand butter to save $10/m.
That way you need not work an extra 20 minutes and you won't need the $600 Vitamix.

But I love homemade bread - good job!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Last year I was spending about $20 a month on organic butter($5lb). I now make my own vegan butter with coconut oil, homemade rice milk, sunflower oil and lecithin($2.25lb).
Nuisance,
Could you share your recipe for vegan butter? Do you think it could be made with either a food processor or a regular blender? (A Vitamix blender is on my list of things to get someday)

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you spent $600 on a Vitamix to save $40/m? And to give yourself 'new work'?
~I was just being silly about the Vitamix, hence the silly face. :) I actually bought mine refurbished for $400 and it has paid for itself well before now. It also saves me so much time as compared to my old blender or my previous chopping and mixing methods. Good kitchen tools are an important part of home-cooking. Only wish I had bought one years ago.

I won't feed my family conventional dairy/eggs/meat. That's my choice and that's why I'm saving so much by switching to more plant sourced foods. :) ~

Nuisance,
Could you share your recipe for vegan butter? Do you think it could be made with either a food processor or a regular blender?
~I absolutely think this would work in a regular blender! I use medium speed 5/6 on the Vitamix for one minute and even my old Oster could have handled that.

1 1/2 cups melted, refined coconut oil
1/4 cup liquid oil(sunflower, olive, etc, whatever you prefer)
2 tsp liquid lecithin(usually made from soy but I use sunflower derived)
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 tsp salt optional
1 tsp apple cider vinegar optional

Blend thoroughly in blender on medium speed for 1 minute. It should look like a thick vanilla milkshake. Pour into silicone molds and refrigerate until firm. Equal to 1lb butter.
Source: Homemade Vegan Pantry~

·
Registered
423 Posts
I won't feed my family conventional dairy/eggs/meat. That's my choice and that's why I'm saving so much by switching to more plant sourced foods.
My Great gramp died in 1903 at 97. My Gramp was 93. Dad was 98. We grew up on the same farm. Dairy cows, beef cows, hogs, sheep, chickens, corn, oats, hay. So we can vouch for organic milk, eggs, meat. Altho it wasn't on purpose - pesticides, herbicides, hen cages, antibiotics, had not yet been invented - nor was the word 'organic'. Ironically, GMO grains were first invented in the late 1800s - and GMO is getting all of the attn these days.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration! I have been thinking of a vitamix on and off for several years but not sure I would use it enough. I would love to make vegan options! The organic butter that a few months ago ran 5.99 here is up to 8.99 today when I was just at the store....

If you feel like sharing more I would love to know what kind of recipes do good with the substitutions like flax for eggs and what kind of recipes do not. I have bobs red mill organic ground flax in my fridge that I use in granola and oat bars ......I should try it for baking.

Have you made any vegan cheeses?

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the inspiration! I have been thinking of a vitamix on and off for several years but not sure I would use it enough. I would love to make vegan options! The organic butter that a few months ago ran 5.99 here is up to 8.99 today when I was just at the store....

If you feel like sharing more I would love to know what kind of recipes do good with the substitutions like flax for eggs and what kind of recipes do not. I have bobs red mill organic ground flax in my fridge that I use in granola and oat bars ......I should try it for baking.

Have you made any vegan cheeses?
~To replace an egg with flax use 1 TB flax meal(I prefer golden) and 1.5-2.5TB water. The amount of water depends on what you're baking. Something dense and chewy like cookies take the least but something airy like cake take the most. Breads are in between. I've oopsed a few times and things have still turned out great so don't worry about it too much. Stir until it looks congealed and gooey.

I have a recipe from Homemade Vegan Pantry that creates a goo from cooking whole flax seeds in water, straining off that now-goey water, cooling it, then whipping it like egg whites for meringues. Doesn't that sound wild? Will definitely be trying that! If it works I could use it to replace the eggs in my favorite hot milk sponge cake recipe which for sure would not work with a flax meal replacement since the eggs provide the airy sponge texture.

One thing that may be different from traditional recipes is baking time or time spent in the pan after baking. I try to follow vegan recipe guidelines on those things instead of my conventional methods. Like a cake would normally be turned out after 10 minutes cooling in the pan. A vegan cake might very well fall to crumbs if that's done so it's cooled entirely in the pan before turning out. Minor adjustments. ;)

I have tried vegan cheese, but just once so far, for last New Year's Eve. It was pretty good! I used a recipe from Yum Universe. It was basically soaked cashews, agar powder(seaweed), salt,coconut oil, and smoke flavoring, blended until smooth then chilled. It had the consistency of very firm jello so I could slice and grate it. Good taste, but I'd prefer something with a more fatty mouth feel. She has many variations on that recipe as well as soft spreadable recipes. Vegan Pantry also has lots of cheese recipes. The author of that has kinda made cheese her specialty. I'm excited to try the mozzarella replacement since that's the cheese I eat most often. But that will require that I buy vegan miso paste, if I can even find that. It's a intriguing recipe, making a mixture of real fermented sauerkraut or quinoa juice, blended cashews and seasonings, then leaving it out at room temperature for a few days to ferment a bit, then blending it with a water/agar/thickener mixture before chilling. I'm on hold for her cheese book at my library.~

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Thanks for the info. Cashew cheese is what I have been wanting to try first.

So happy to see you posting again......I learn tons from you!

·
Registered
960 Posts
1 1/2 cups melted, refined coconut oil
1/4 cup liquid oil(sunflower, olive, etc, whatever you prefer)
2 tsp liquid lecithin(usually made from soy but I use sunflower derived)
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 tsp salt optional
1 tsp apple cider vinegar optional

Blend thoroughly in blender on medium speed for 1 minute. It should look like a thick vanilla milkshake. Pour into silicone molds and refrigerate until firm. Equal to 1lb butter.
Source: Homemade Vegan Pantry~
Thank you! I like Earth Balance vegan margarine, but it's $3.99 here. I'm going to try this as soon as I figure out where to buy lecithin.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Re substituting flax seed for eggs, I do this all the time (just made vegan cornbread, for example). I also leave out most of or all the oil in baking, and substitute unsweetened applesauce for it.

Reactions: nuisance26

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also leave out most of or all the oil in baking, and substitute unsweetened applesauce for it.
~I sometimes do this if I have homemade core applesauce on hand(cut around the cores before eating them, freeze them until I have a pot full, then process them as regular applesauce), but I don't find that buying applesauce for an oil replacement will save money over oil. Maybe you have a cheaper source.
Sunflower oil: $.63 cup < Organic applesauce: $1.04 cup
Or with conventional versions:
Vegetable oil: $.44 cup < unsweetened store brand applesauce: $.67 cup~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts