Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my latest money-saving project. After last summer DH and I talked about getting a new grill since the 8 year old one we had was starting to fall apart. I had looked in hardware stores for replacement parts, I needed the metal thingy that protects the gas burners, and could not find one for my size grill. Then, just before Christmas I had to go to an appliance shop to get a replacement blade for my food processor -- and I noticed they carried all kinds of stuff for my brand of grill. I asked about parts, and the guys told me they could order anything if I knew the part number.

Well, this week I went in with my owner's booklet and asked again, and after just a few minutes I had replacement parts in my hands. Turns out I needed a new burner, too, since the original one was so corroded it wasn't burning properly. A lot of people would have just thrown it out on the curb. $42 later I was on my way home. It only took me about an hour to clean out the grill, pull out the old burner and snap a new one in place -- and boy was it messy! But I figure I must have saved $200 over the cost of a new grill! It runs just like new, and I'm so happy I was able to fix it up myself.

·
27,948 Posts

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow good thinking, I too would have rather just replaced the parts then to fork over money for a new one :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
You have to have respect for women with capabilities to be fix-its!!!
Good job!!:yippee: :yippee:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
we're trying to figure out what to do to fix ours. The wheels on bottom are busted. I'd like to find a perfect spot for it and remove the wheels, thus rendering it permanently in place. DH wants new wheels so he can move it around. i dunno what we'll do. Someday I'd like to get him a real fancy one...one like the guy on the show BBQ - U on pbs has.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
about the burners, never leave them outside all year if u have winter climate , ever if their covered up unused. We learned hard way over the years. remove them and take inside, theyll last longer. promise u. Ill removing mine this fall and the tank will be taken to friends house in her little tiny barn for storage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts