Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you over involved, under involved or not involved at all?

Right now I'm not involved at all, but am seriously wanting to get involved. My problem is I have to be very careful, otherwise I tend to get over involved and don't enjoy what I'm doing and become very stressed out.

There is a program here called Towns in Bloom and I really want to get involved in that. It doesn't only involve beautifying our town with flowers, but it goes deeper. They discuss recycling, ways to help the environment, etc., right where my vision is at for right now. I plan on calling the first of next week.

How about you, share some of your involvment.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I am ashamed to say that I am not really involved at all. I tend to get involved with things at church and with dd's school but that's about it.

pat

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I live in such a small town that there are not a lot of "civic" organizations to get involved in, well actually there are none :) . We do have several clubs through the 3 churches that we have in town but unfortunately none are dedicated to doing civic work in town.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well I do not have a town, so not invovled covers it I guess. Now if Grape Creek ever became a town, I might consider helping out some how

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I feel like I get to involved. With family, work, extracurricular activites, upkeep of the home, and volunteering, it sometimes feels like too much to tackle. I am very involved in the youth baseball league. I do all the scheduling, bills, concession (including buying and restocking it), groundskeeping, just name it I am sure I do it. I also volunteer my time for the local fire department. I am involved in the boy's school functions, Jr. FFA, 4-H. I don't think we usually have a day off when school is in. That is why I am so glad when summer comes along, so I can have a little time for myself. We have already voted for new officer for the baseball league and of course I stepped down as did DH. I think it was just too much stress on us this year. We have been involved with it for 4 years.

I think as long as you don't over-volunteer you will be fine.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I used to be over involved I think. It used to tick dh off that I spent so much time doing those things. Now with work and school. I have no more time left, just to study and play on this blasted computer with my village friends!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Let's see. . . . I belong to the Music boosters at school which has lots of community projects, our church does lots of community projects and every year on Labor day- the community hosts a fish fry. I'm pretty much in charge of the pies :D as I'm about the only one left that still makes pies. Some years I make upwards of 50 pies.

The entire family helps out- the kids started by washing dishes and have since progressed to actually cooking the fish and chicken, they bus tables and all that too. Dh is generally in charge of the bingo table. He loves it and he can sit while he works.

Other ways we are involved? The annual Easter egg hunt- middle ds hid 60 dozen eggs this year. We all help corrall the kids and make sure no one gets hurt.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I live in a tiny town (blink and you miss it) and I love it!:) The boys and I do volunteer work delivering food to the elderly and also to families in need. I'm the "fearless leader" of our homeschool support group which covers our town and the next one over and also chair and teach at the homeschool co-op. I've also served on various commitees trying to keep our local public school here up and running. That's about all I can handle with homeschooling, helping out our extended family and friends and going to church so far away from home.:angel:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I work with the community food pantry by organizing our youth group food drive several times a year. I also head up a book drive for the Thanksgiving and Easter food baskets. (If you can't afford food you sure can't afford books)
We also always participate in Crop Walk, the Red Cross Bloodmobile, church activities, 4-H, and the big one for my daughter, she helps fund raise for the no-kill pound.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
I agree that you can get too involved. We moved here 3 years ago and I have been careful in selecting what I want to become involved in. I help at the school one afternoon a week, am involved in church activities and a member of the Horticultural Society in our village. That is more than enough for me as I homeschool one of my sons and that is where my time is needed and important during the week. Also with my DH gone all week, I don't like leaving the kids to go to meetings all the time!

At our old place I was WAY too involved, had the problem of not saying no. When we moved here I had so many people ask me to join their groups, volunteer, etc....I know they mean well but my family comes first and I have finally learned how much I can physically and emotionally handle.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I volunteer at my boys' school as well as being involved in SMART (Start Making A Reader Today) to help kids learn to read better and more quickly. I also give dog safety presentations at the local schools. Since I work at the library, I give back to the community there too! Yes, I get paid for that, but I also steer people in the right direction for social services and help out our Hispanic patroms (I am the only one ther who speaks Spanish).

Once my kids are both in middle school (I will not volunteer there ona regular basis), I plan to volunteer at the local food bank. I feel that nobody should go hungry in this country.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
When our kids were at home we were much more involved than we are now...which is by choice. Dh still does the color commentary for the high school teams here for the local radio station and I go with him to games and such. I really want to find more time for my own interests these days....Dh used to be on the school board which took a LOT of time for us both. We are taking time to smell the roses at this point.....I have been thinking about volunteering one day a week for meals on wheels, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts