Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are fine where we are at, we do have a new lake in our front yard. School is closed today as is many roads around here.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Finally sunshine and blue skies here. The river has come up over the major road but has gone back down a little. The major road is now passable, but I still have snow on the road leading to my house. The lake never made it to the road this year. Mason County still has roads out from last year. We don't know when they will be fixed. I pray for those who have been flooded out from their homes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm doing ok, certainly much better than others.

I had a potentially scary situation night before last. My neighbors who live up above me abandoned their home because they were afraid the hillside was going to come down, taking their home with it. The "path of least resistance" indicated that, if it did come down, would most likely take my home with it (at least according to my neighbor's father).

That neighbor, along with his father and the neighbor down below me, tried to convince me to leave. The neighbor across the road came over and hiked up the hill and took a good look at the source of the concern and told me he just didn't think there was enough volume there to cause a big problem....if it came down at all. He also thought that due to the shape of the hill, if anything came down at all, it would turn long before getting to my house and, at most, would cause me access problems into (or out of) my place.

I chose to stay but had some bad news yesterday which made me think maybe I should have taken the potential threat a little more seriously. I saw a clip on a Seattle on-line t.v. news (KIRO) that showed my neighbors one mile to the west of me who had their home hit by a slide. I couldn't tell from the clip how severe the damage was but it was enough that the family is now in a shelter. Their dog was killed. They also have two horses but there was nothing said about them; I hope they're ok. I'll be going out that way today so I'll see more.

I was expecting a check in the mail yesterday, but since it comes from Olympia and I'm southeast of there, because of the I-5 closure, it didn't come. Last year, when the interstate was closed, mail got through because the driver took a detour around the "back" way. This time, that is not an option because of all the road closures, including the highway that goes by my own house.

I had thirty inches of snow and was totally snowbound for seventeen days. And then for a week, I could still only get in and out with my 4-wheel-drive. The day the flooding started was actually the first day I was able to get out in my little 2-wheel-drive truck in almost a month.

When I was in town on Wednesday, they were sandbagging WalMart, the car and RV dealerships were moving their inventory to high ground, and the little airport had moved all the planes out of the immediate airport area.

Last year, WalMart and Home Depot were damaged extensively but had the resources to come back pretty quickly. The small businesses had a harder time; there are some who only recently re-opened and some that have never recovered. The local Senior Center only re-opened a month ago - a year after last year's flood destroyed it. I feel so bad for those who have so much damage to their businesses and homes.

Last year there was a lot of livestock loss. Hopefully, that won't be the case this year. So far, I haven't heard.

I'm so ready for June. :sigh:

Janis

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have not been watching tv this week and knew the flooding was happening but didn't see any of it until yesterday. It is amazing. The news say its not as high as last time, but last time wasn't that long ago. So many people haven't recovered from the last flood and this one comes a long.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I finally saw this post I live right in the center of where it floods (someday they will stop building more stuff along I-5). I was stuck at work for 3 days due to people not being able to get to work, but it will be a nice OT paycheck. We didn't flood but only because the river they said was going to be the highest ever never did flood that high and most of the water went the opposite direction. It floods here all the time now last year was horrible, this year bad hopefully next year won't be anything :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have a house on highway 12 in Washington State. It's located near White Pass. I think that the reason the flooding wasn't as bad as last time is because we did not lose as much of the snow pack as last year. I was there this weekend and my house still had about 15 of the 30 inches it accumulated over Christmas. Had everything melted it could have been so much worse in the Chehalis area. My other house is near the coast. There, the water rose to record levels and for the first time in my memory, state highways were closed due to the flooding. We are having the wackiest weather, it's unbelieveable! I hope that all villagers in our area are okay!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts