Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an area where I struggle. I know that you are only *supposed* to keep leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days, but I keep for a full week. If it's coming up on a week and I know we won't eat it, I freeze it. Is that nasty? :puck: We're still alive. My husband actually thinks food would be okay for longer, but a week is my limit.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Depends on what it is. Veggies, I'll keep longer than meat. Meat goes in the freezer after two days, except chicken, which goes into the freezer immediately. Veggies usually go in after 3 or 4 days. Salads with mayo or things with raw eggs go out after 2 days.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
2 days , never pass three days in fridge.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
If food lasts a week in our refrig it goes to the dogs on Sunday. I mix up the leftovers with their kibble and they get the extras. But that doesn't happen very often. The boys (5) tend to keep leftover to a miniunm.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I freeze whatever leftovers I know we can't eat after 3-4 days. We usually have leftovers once a week and can get rid of quite a bit of it. I save bits of meat & veggies for soup.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Honestly if I can open the container without making a face it's still good around here :) If it's become a science experiment or I can't remember when I cooked it then it's Cooterdog food :)

kj

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We rarely have leftovers. However, if we do I only keep them for 1-2 days at the most.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
3 days and then it's frozen with H&E on it, heat and eat. My sil is longer than that and they are still living! If it's something that has a date on it I will keep it til that date, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
My mother used to keep them Monday through Thursday and feed them to us on Friday night. I am still alive.

I keep them a couple of days if I think someone will eat them or I have a planned leftover. Otherwise I freeze them right away.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
leftovers

I freeze whatever leftovers I know we can't eat after 3-4 days. We usually have leftovers once a week and can get rid of quite a bit of it. I save bits of meat & veggies for soup.
HAHAHA!!! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY, THEN YOU HAVE A QUICK DINNER FOR ONE, TWO OR MORE ON A NIGHT YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE COOKING AND NO WASTE........:chef:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts