Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that activities are exhausting for MOM, and, sometimes, not all that beneficial for the kids.

For example, I had my kids in a gym&swim program. It took 30 minutes to drive each way, and extra time in between part I and part II for them to shower and change into swim clothes. After swim lesson, extra time again to shower and change.

Add to that, the time spent getting everyone ready for gym, and doing that extra load of swimsuit/gym clothes laundry. The upshot was, it took more overhead for me than it gave them in gym time.

When my kids were in Suzuki, each week, they had a private lesson, and (on a separate day) group and theory classes. For the group/theory day, I would have to lug the briefcase of music notes, the keyboard, and the keyboard stand. In addition, class went from 5 - 6:15, so it cut into dinner prep time. My kids did get a lot out of Suzuki, but Thursdays left me exhausted.

I have a friend, who, during last summer's baseball season, had kids' activiites 7 days a week! They'd often eat dinner at 8:30.

Another friend, whose 1st grader was in piano, girl scouts, and gymnastics ... during the school year.

What are your thoughts on activites? How many are too many?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am in this dilemma now. We have 4 children and a 5th on the way so I suppose our lives will always be hectic because we are a family that likes to do extras anyway. My oldest is 7 and she plays soccer twice a week and cheer 3 days a week. My 6 year old plays t-ball twice a week so we are running at least 5 days a week to stuff and that is just with 2 kids doing things. My 3 year old really wants to take gymnastics this summer and they will take swimming during the summer too. I know it is awful to be running all the time and I have been exhausted especially being very pregnant right now. The kids enjoy it and we like it so I guess when we stop enjoying it we will cut a lot out. I make some dinners in advance so we can pop them in the oven to heat up without having to eat out all the time. I think every family has to decide what works for them. Good topic!!! Amy

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I know the "Overwhelmed Mommy" because the kids have too many activities all to well!;) We had to limit what our kids were involved in because I was always on the go. They are now in Suzuki Piano (1/2 hour drive each way) and they are there for 1 1/2 hours. During that time I quickly run errands in town. Then we head for the library and do our research there. Another day we have homeschool co-op for 2 hours and I teach at that. On Fridays we have a writing class with friends and Monday nights are youth group. I do feel like we are on the go a lot of the time. This summer we take a break from co-op, but add swim team and that involves travel 2 days a week and daily practices. UGHHH!!!! We quickly nixed the baseball playing because Mom couldn't handle any more. Oh, BTW, we travel 1 1/2 hours each way to go to church on Sundays also.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
right now only ds is involved in activites. he has one activity at a time. right now it is tball. in the fall it was soccer. when dd starts school in the fall, i want to look into daisy scouts for her. our rule is one activity at a time. it helps keep momma's sanity.

·
Registered
69 Posts
DD#1 is 6 and in the first grade. She goes to Sunday School every week and she plays whatever sport the youth athletic association has going...which is softball right now. Over the summer, there is no Sunday School or organized sports, but I will sign her up for a one week art program run here in town that is just a couple of hours a day.

I don't want her to be overwhelmed with too many activities, and I just don't have the time or the desire to constantly be Mom's Taxi.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
my 7 year old is playing t-ball, and my 14 year old is running track for school. In the fall my 14 year old plays football. Over the summer I will end up taking my kids to sports camps and the pool. Just enough to keep busy and make the weeks go a little faster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts