Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often try and figure out the cost to make certain recipes. I find it motivating to see how much cheaper it is to eat at home. One problem I have run into is how do I figure out how much the flour costs in recipes? If I knew how many cups are in a pound I would have a better idea of how much each recipe costs. Is there a general guideline for how many cups in a pound of all-purpose flour?

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
The answer on that website is strange....
I've only ever gotten (tops!) 9-10cups of flour per 5lb bag. That says a 5lb bag should have 22.5cups. There's no way there is that many cups in a 5lb bag of flour...

·
Registered
467 Posts
My 5# bag of flour said it holds 30 -- 1/4 cup servings or 5# = 7.5 cups

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Robin, that sounds more feasible than 22.5 cups in that itty bitty little 5lb bag :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Grayce, are you buying flour in bulk or in a bag? If you are getting it in a bag, the nutrition label on the back should have the serving size in both volume and weight, that's the conversion rate that I always use. Mine says 1/4cup (30g) - so a cup of flour is 90g. I don't know where you'd buy flour by the pound, unless you do your shopping in the states.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Sorry, that should be 120g per cup, not 90.

The grocery store should give a price per unit on the shelf, usually per 100g. I buy flour at the price chopper for .06 per 100g, so a cup of flour costs me 7.2¢.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, didn't even realize there was a nutrition label on there. I have a 10 kg sack of flour (22 lbs). That would make about 83, 120 gram cups of flour in the bag. That makes it much easier.
Thanks for everyones help:rollsmile

·
8,714 Posts
~The 5lb bag in my pantry says there are 75 1/4 cups in there. That's 18.75 cups in 5lbs. That's 3.75 cups per lb. Take your cost per pound and divide it by 3.75 to get your cost per cup. For example, if you pay $.25 per pound it will cost $.066 per cup. HTH!~

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
This is good info to have. I have never calculated what a recipe cost. I know it is probably more expensive in a lot of cases but you can't beat the taste of homemade versus store bought.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I dont know about the rest of you but I buy walmart brand flour. It is .96cents for a 5lb bags. My 5lb bag has 19 cups in it.Thats 5 cents a cup. I have a recipe that uses 18 cups of flour so I just open a bag and take out one cup, It always comes out right so I must be messuring correctly.

But to answer your question it is 3.8 cups per pound.

·
8,714 Posts
~The 5lb bag in my pantry says there are 75 1/4 cups in there. That's 18.75 cups in 5lbs. That's 3.75 cups per lb. Take your cost per pound and divide it by 3.75 to get your cost per cup. For example, if you pay $.25 per pound it will cost $.066 per cup. HTH!~
~Just wanted to update that I took a brand new 5 lb bag of flour and dumped it into a big bowl and measured it out. It was 18.5 cups! You have to fluff up the flour and spoon the flour into the measuring cup before leveling it off with a knife to get the full amount. I paid $1.20 for the bags so it cost $.065 cents per cup.~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts