Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you have and where do you live??

I love my veggie garden.........I just learned to can tomatoes last year so we are going large on tomato plants this year.We have 60 tomato plants,2 long rows of cucumbers(I love`em!)watermelons,cantalopes and pumpkins.?We are in Tennessee.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well i am trying!
I live in TX
I have 1 tomato, 1 pepper and 1 watermelon.
since my eye went crazy I couldnt take care of them properly and they are dying!
Hopefully the restrictions on bending, and getting sweat or water in my eye will be over with in time for me to get replacement plants!
However, my herbs in the kitchen window are coming up great! No bending or sweating to deal with there! The tiny seedlings were such a blessing when I was so scared over my health!

·
27,948 Posts
Wow thats a lot of tomatoes! Were "only" growing 24 tomato plants. We're trying Romaine lettuce this year instead of the black seeded simpson. Snap peas, zucchini,swiss chard & carrots. OD'd on green beans last year so we decided not to plant them this year.
Growing lots of herbs too. Basil, rosemary,thyme,oregano, cumin,dill,catnip,parsley,nastursiams(sp?),chives, mint & lemon verbena.
I'm really looking forward to the tomatoes coming up this year. I bought an attachment for my kitchen-aid that is going to make
making sauce a cinch.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
That's a big garden Susie! :) I'd love to have watermelons growing, but here the season seems to be too short, in Quebec.

...I will have 2 tomato plants...:blush: that my dad gave me. I may plant some zuchinis. For the amazement of my little one, Patrick, we will plant some carrots and maybe something else. I'm not very enthousiastic about planting a garden this year...maybe next year will be bigger.:)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I have the makings of a garden, with one very sturdy collard green plant growing nicely. Dd is planning on buying me a six pack of tomato plants for my birthday, we just need to get out to buy them. Las t year I bought a sixpack of tomato plants and each one was a different variety. I am hoping to find that again this year. It was fun to grow Roma, Cherry, Beefsteak, and others at the same time. I also had very good luck with cucumbers and peppers. I will try those as well. I am getting a late start, but we are back to gloomy days with little sunshine that makes those tomato plants thrive and become productive. I am also going to plant some gourd seeds on my fence this summer and try my hand at something ne and fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had birdhouse gourds last year and they were alot of fun to watch grow.I did end up with two ,they are still drying in my laundry room.This year I have some seeds for apple gourds my sisiter gave me.I will put them out if it ever stops raining here:eek:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I've always had a veggie garden, but this year I decided to take a break from the veggie garden and instead just have flowerbeds, along with strawberry and raspberries. I found it was so much work for me last year.

I will probably regret it later in the year, but I found a great place to purchase organic veggies near where dh works.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
We have three large gardens:

~one is for potatoes and onions
~one is for asparagus and rows and rows of cut flowers
~the biggest one is for everything else, tomatoes, green peppers, lettuce, radish, peas, beans, 4 rows of strawberries, corn etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We have a garden also, we will be sowing more seeds this week. We waited alittle while to put some plants in because we are in zone 4 (midwest) and even last night we ran the heat in the house:( , but it looks like things are warming up including the lows. We plant pretty much what everyone else plants, we do plant lots of corn because right now that seems to be the kids favorite veggie. I am hoping to have a small garden behind the house for just cut flowers. I love fresh flowers on the table and the prices have gone way up on them lately so I figure a few bucks for seeds and I'll get my fresh flowers :) I also have my first lavender garden going (thanks to Carolyn:) )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am so jealous!I have cut out several articles from our local paper about lavender...........I have got to find some and try my hand at growing some in my flower beds.:)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I have a very small garden....about 10 strawberry plants, a couple of tomato plants, a couple of broccli and some onion plants....we are going to have a big garden next year but with baby coming soon....I knew I wouldn't be able to spend much time up tending to the garden so I just have a few plants out...

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Right now all I have in the garden are tomatoes and peppers. I plan to plant a bunch more veggies. I had a really productive garden last year with the exception of tomatoes. for some reason everyones did very poorly and were extreamly late in the season. I got mine in early this year in hopes that it would make it an early crop. We are playing the wait and see game now.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I'm keeping it small this year, 2 babies and a full time job are keeping me out of the garden. So far I have 2 established tomatoe plants, the echonacia from last year are coming up as are the herbs and strawberries. I planted greenbeans, broccoli, cantoloup and zucchini. We'll see what comes of it all. It also looks like a hot pepper plant that didn't produce last year came back.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm doing a container garden this year. So far I have 2 pots of leaf lettuce, 4 tomato plants, 2 green pepper plants, a cucumber plant, a zucchini plant, a big pot of potatoes (experimenting with these), a pot of peas, 2 pots of marigolds and a pot of petunias. Hoping to do some green beans if I can get a couple very long containers of some sort and I still need to plant some carrots.

·
Registered
948 Posts
We have a large garden with two strawberry patches, 4 tomato plants, 2 hills of squash, 2 hills of cucumbers, pumpkins, watermelon, green beans, beets, carrots, radishes, peas, and corn... I think that's everything!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Can anyone give me some pointers on starting a vegetable garden. My landord just gave me the ok to do this and I am clueless on what I will need and how to do it LOL I think my kids will really enjoy this and I have always wanted to do it :) I am a beginner so I will need full details :)
Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
My husband and sons "expanded" that garden for me last year by digging up the sod and then hand tilling the ground while adding fertilizer to it. They also put boards in to line the perimeter of the garden to help keep the grass out of it. This year we added a brick wayway and outlined the lettuce and spinanch garden beds with brick. It looks really pretty!:D

This year in the garden we either have now or will have soon:
strawberry bed-loaded this year
chives
oregano
lemon thyme
pineapple mint
chocolate mint
regular mint
lettuce
spinach
garlic
brocolli
7 tomato plants
Walla Walla Sweet Onions
green beans
bell peppers
zuchinni
maybe a few cucumbers (they didn't do well last year)

In the backyard we have:
1 Summer Apple tree
1 Bing cherry Tree (loaded this year)
1 Pie cherry tree (also loaded)
sunflowers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I forgot to add our peach trees ,we have 8,though no peaches this year hopefully next!We also have 2 bing cherry trees also full but, keeping the crows out is a full time job!and 2 grape vines we just set out this spring.We also want to add a strawberry patch and a few apple trees.May later this summer or fall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts