Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I will assume you must be having guests. ?
Soup.. I would serve a bowl of oyster crackers, a nice bread w/butter.
Casserole... I would serve a salad or fresh veg plate, a nice bread w/butter.
So, a couple sides each.
Dessert would be something light... rice krispies squares or ice cream.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. Just us. Just didnt know what sides to use for soup and casserole. Or how many is normal. I make my husbands lunches from what we eat for dinner and want him to feel satisfied.

·
Registered
675 Posts
We only have bread with soup, crackers are available for those who use them. With casseroles sometimes a salad, or a bread. Some casseroles my kids like to have cranberry sauce as a side.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
I typically divide the plate into three parts, 1/2 vegetable, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb/starch. So my "sides" are a large portion of fresh vegetable and something like a potato, a serving of rice *or* bread. I consider corn a starch.

With something like a casserole I would look at the ingredients and the proportions of them. How much meat/protein is in the dish? How much is bread/noodles? How much is vegetable? Since casseroles usually have a lot of bread or pasta in them already I would not serve additional bread. A salad might be in order, if there isn't enough green in the dish. Or a side of fresh fruit.

For soup, which tends to have a lot of vegetables and some meat, I would serve bread or crackers. I might make sandwiches, too.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
For soup - usually just bread or crackers, maybe grilled cheese sandwiches.

For casseroles - depends on what's in the casserole, but a side of steamed veggies is a good choice.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I typically divide the plate into three parts, 1/2 vegetable, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb/starch. So my "sides" are a large portion of fresh vegetable and something like a potato, a serving of rice *or* bread. I consider corn a starch.
That is how we make up our plates too.

·
Registered
500 Posts
For soups we usually have croutons for topping and for casseroles, we have nothing else with it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
A few times a week I try to serve celery or carrot sticks as a side or cut up apples or oranges. We will have that with just about anything, and lots of times I will put them out before we have our meal, like an appetizer of sorts. Lately grits have been my go to side dish, with a little sprinkle of cheese on top. Just something different and extremely inexpensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts