Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,347 Posts
I am married to the ultimate DIY guy. God gave him talent to do most anything. I can count on my fingers the number of things we have hired out in nearly 30 years together and that includes when he built out house. My skills are more painting, decor and domestic. Though I am very talented at coming up with projects for us ( meaning him) to do.

We have been able to live debt free since I was in my mid 30's and he in his mid 40's and that is because of DIY talents as we have a modest income. We did have a few loans at times for building supplies but they were not bigger than what people today spend for a car. I know the talent he has to do most anything is rare......I have personally only seen 1 other person with it and that is his dad. After writing all this I am feeling pretty blessed:)

· Registered
2,347 Posts
TDN My late Husband was good at all of that. He taught me to do a lot because his health wasn't that good. We took old houses and re done them. Did all the work our self. It sure makes a difference to buy low and make your dream home. I still have a lot of the furniture that he built. We loved to go to trade shows and things and see ideas that we knew we could do.
I am sorry you lost your husband. It for sure would change the way I live if I was to lose my hubby.....i don't know how long I could keep up the house plus 2 acres.

Getting ideas to do yourself is so much fun! I love to calculate the price savings! I wasn't even thinking of furniture when I wrote the post but as I look around, just in this room, I see a coffee table, 2 side tables, jelly cabinet, small bench, the cats 2 window seats he built along 2 types of candle holders, framed mirror, picture frame and 2 other things on the walls he up cycled for me. He use to be more into wood work but his new hobby is blacksmithing so lots of metalwork happening.....which I love!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts