Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,347 Posts
TDN My late Husband was good at all of that. He taught me to do a lot because his health wasn't that good. We took old houses and re done them. Did all the work our self. It sure makes a difference to buy low and make your dream home. I still have a lot of the furniture that he built. We loved to go to trade shows and things and see ideas that we knew we could do.
I am sorry you lost your husband. It for sure would change the way I live if I was to lose my hubby.....i don't know how long I could keep up the house plus 2 acres.

Getting ideas to do yourself is so much fun! I love to calculate the price savings! I wasn't even thinking of furniture when I wrote the post but as I look around, just in this room, I see a coffee table, 2 side tables, jelly cabinet, small bench, the cats 2 window seats he built along 2 types of candle holders, framed mirror, picture frame and 2 other things on the walls he up cycled for me. He use to be more into wood work but his new hobby is blacksmithing so lots of metalwork happening.....which I love!

· Premium Member
6,464 Posts
Just an FYI.. If you suddenly start having issues with washers, dryers, or any of the large appliances, don't hesitate to go to Youtube or Google. Search for your model number and the problem and chances are you can find a youtube video on how to fix it.

I've fixed washers, dryers and recently saved $150 on a fridge repair for a simple sticky drain plug. It was a little bit of work, but the video showed every single screw you needed to take out.
It really can be that simple.

· Administrator
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just an FYI.. If you suddenly start having issues with washers, dryers, or any of the large appliances, don't hesitate to go to Youtube or Google. Search for your model number and the problem and chances are you can find a youtube video on how to fix it.

I've fixed washers, dryers and recently saved $150 on a fridge repair for a simple sticky drain plug. It was a little bit of work, but the video showed every single screw you needed to take out.
It really can be that simple.
I just threw out a washer that stopped spinning because it never crossed my mind that maybe I could fix it.

I had called a repair guy that wanted a crazy amount of money.

I wish I would have thought to look through YouTube.

· Super Moderator
24,538 Posts
We almost bought a second house last winter and knew we'd want a microwave for it. But we didn't want to pay for one. It occurred to me a lot of people don't know microwaves have fuses in them and when the fuses blow, they are dead. But the hardware store sells replacement fuses. We can salvage things from our local recycling place so we picked out the two newest micros we could find in the pile. Then we stopped at the hardware store on the way home and bought a two-pack of fuses for $4. The first micro was really dead, so we re-recycled that (free). The second one came right back on and has been working great ever since. It was barely dirty so I cleaned that up and sanitized it in about fifteen minutes. We estimated we saved about $100 because it's a nice micro.

· Registered
1,119 Posts
I am still in the process of learning DIY, but as I spent too much time reading what SD has done for job that day, I am trying at least quite some DIY. I am planning on hiring out some of the bigger jobs however, cause of strength or lack of skills. Yes it would be cheaper not too, but I would rather have those specific jobs insured by the contractor. The electricity is a must, as I need to have it rechecked and it would be a pain to have it done when I would do it myself. The bathroom is something I could try, but it is in the basement and getting some professional advice on how to keep it as dry as possible is probably worth the extra cost. The building of the walls is a want, but it is going to be worth it. I am single, so while my family is willing to help I don't want to be a drain to them.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

· Super Moderator
24,538 Posts
I don't DIY everything, either, Ayanka. I'm looking for an electrician to finish a job that another electrician started and then went out of business before the job was finished. It's tough because no one wants to mess with something someone else started. I'll admit I tried to finish it but they did something with the light switches I don't understand at all, and the master electrician who came to look at it said she didn't understand it, either. That made me feel better but not as good as if the job had gotten done.

· Registered
1,593 Posts
My DH and our son are two of those people that will tackle anything and can pretty much do anything. DH used to build houses for a living and he taught DS everything he knows. :) We built our house and did every part except finishing the concrete only because DH wasn't physically able to do it at the time, they do all kinds of vehicle and small engine repair, homestead work such as pruning fruit tree and grape vines, cutting firewood, plowing fields, making maple syrup, etc. DS repairs computers, TVs and other electronics, makes dentures.

I am like another poster. I don't like drywall dust, I'm afraid of power tools and electricity and am not mechanically inclined. I do cooking and gardening projects.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts