Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
13,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
44 Posts
I have only had one extended experience with Starbucks.. We stay a week in Vancouver ...spit.... for a work shop thing for where Sweetie worked... The hotel had a Starbucks in the lobby..

My experience was, even simple things you wouldn't expect anyone to be able to screw up, they did... I tried a variety of things and could barely, or not at all choke them down.. Luckily there was a Tim Hortons on the way to the fisherman dinner by the cannery...

So.... It would seem we save a whole lot by not using Starbucks... We don't drink, smoke, and only spend about $20 a year on the Lotto.. So we do enjoy Tims....

Reactions: marthamfi

· Registered
49 Posts
Starbucks is probably the most prolific coffee shop in my area. We also have a Dunkin Donuts and a few independent coffee places, but Starbucks is just about everywhere. They also have a mobile ordering app and rewards points, so they're also extremely convenient.

That being said, they need to be thought of as a treat instead of something I get every single day. I have coffee at home... a 10 oz. brick of Cafe Bustelo grounds costs me around $3.75 and makes about 10 pots of coffee. We usually get 5 largish mugs out of each pot, which is like 5 of Starbucks grande-sized cups of coffee per pot. Around here, a grande cup of brewed coffee at Starbucks is $3.25. 50 servings brewed at home would cost me $3.75 total.

Of course, we don't drink our coffee black and Starbucks isn't going to charge me extra for realistic amounts of cream and sweetener. Still, a quart of half & half runs me around $2.50 and has around 30-32 servings. Some use sugar in their coffee and we buy the organic sugar by the 10 lb sack for $13. I use liquid Splenda in the squeeze bottle in my coffee, which runs around $4.50 for 100 servings/squeezes. I also sometimes buy sugar free flavored syrups from TJ Maxx to make the coffee feel more fancy, and those are usually around $4 for a 750 ml bottle... so, maybe 25 servings per bottle? Even with the extras, I'm still saving a lot by making coffee at home.

· Registered
2,729 Posts
I don't drink coffee at all, so saving money there.😄

I buy high quality loose leaf tea. Even choosing a price brand, it is much cheaper than buying tea or coffee some else has made.

I have coworkers that buy it every work day. We have a mini kitchen at work, and there are people who do brew there own coffee at work.

But sometimes I think Starbucks is too easy a target. Things like going out to eat or going to bars on a regular basis eat up far more money.

· Registered
3,058 Posts
Yes Kathy Starbucks became symbol of where you can spend money without thinking of it in a way that adds up. Like the new thing where people get fast food delivered from skip the dishes etc ..now for a bunch of people I can see that or if you are stuck inside and can't go but spending more on delivery then the food you get.. nope .

There are Starbucks in Safeways where I am and liked it when I worked and got smoothies on my break. I like things like peppermint mochas the fancy stuff but not all the time. Just got a freebie dh got a gift card for them so gave to me. I am not a timmies person.

· Registered
2,729 Posts
I think it is partially that coffee is not considered a need, but food is. Although you can almost always get food cheaper even if you have no transportation, very little time and no cooking skills.

There are some people who talk about how the fast food delivery makes sense for certain circumstances. But that often ignores that grocery stores have a lot of food that is ready to eat as is, or after just a few minutes in the microwave. And in many urban areas you can get groceries delivered.

So you could get a week worth of really quick meals from the grocery store for one delivery fee/tip a week. No cooking ability required and much cheaper.

The only time it makes some sense is some circumstances when you are traveling. Possibly some emergency situations. But not on a regular basis.

· Registered
44 Posts
There are some people who talk about how the fast food delivery makes sense for certain circumstances. But that often ignores that grocery stores have a lot of food that is ready to eat as is, or after just a few minutes in the microwave. And in many urban areas you can get groceries delivered.
---
Ah yes..... The days way back when going to tech college days and working in the tool and die shop nights... Or the other way around... As cheap as McDonalds and the like were at that time, it was still cheaper to get cold day old deli chicken and warm it up on the manifold of my old Dodge pickup V8... With a cooler stocked with bread, peanut butter, jam, fruit and such all I needed my room for was sleeping.. Then busting my tail to write every grant and such I could lay hands on resulted in graduating with 0 debt... This some 40+ years ago now.. I also went back to tech college 20 some years ago and graduated again as the technology was changing so fast around that time... Again applying many of the old living techniques from before... And doing so debt free again... Neither experience was easy, but manageable...

My 5 cents of experience..

· Registered
3,058 Posts
oh yes totally..here there are lots of meal options esp w the seniors around. if I don't feel like cooking I think mmm how much takeout etc can I get for the same buck..not as much cus teens lol but why I like the easy frozen meals esp on sale or bagged salads etc for easy meals. Most restaurants do takeout meals now since covid too.

I am fighting the urge for a grocery delivery esp when we don't need much and I am in two stores working though not preferred ones. So just shopped on amazon to stock up on cat food and other household goods. but no I mean I am at fast food place and skip the dishes comes in for one meal like $7 of food only. Granted my friends daughter wanted to order skip the dishes just for the novelty lol

· Registered
44 Posts
Seniors..... Yes... Seniors organizations are a wonderful opportunity for a good, cheap meal.. Some times when I'm in town doing errands I stop at one of the three seniors clubs here for a meal.. Even as a non member price it is still usually half the price of a cheaper café special of the day.. Yes.. Coincidentally, I do qualify by age to be a seniors club member..

· Registered
3,058 Posts
Sorry meant that there is a lot of seniors where I live so stores and restaurants cater to that.. plus just lots of people get meals for lunches etc. most stores have sushi, hot food etc. I am just spoiled for choice food wise here.
There is a senior centre close by that does meals too but I am only old enough for the activities like exercise lol

· Registered
49 Posts
Admittedly, I do sometimes use things like grocery delivery. I have a household member who has an Instacart+ account and lets me use it, so there aren't any delivery fees. HOWEVER! There are still things like service fees and the fact that the prices in the stores are not necessarily the same prices as listed on the Instacart site. :confused: Maybe it saves me time and prevents me from impulse buying, but I don't think it saves me any money in the long run.

Even worse -- I work at a grocery store! So why would I use a grocery delivery service at all? My store is one of those expensive boutique grocery stores that focuses on natural and organic products, and I can't afford to buy everything I need there. I do get things like bread and milk and sale items there, and my employee discount helps a lot. Still, I usually can't buy meat or frozen items there unless they're on sale because the price is just too far out of my range. I try to do a large grocery shop trip every other week at one of the less expensive stores in the area, but sometimes I don't have the time or energy available and have the groceries delivered instead.

But this is way off of the original topic, isn't it? ;) Ironically, I am sitting here typing this with an iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts next to me... but this was a free drink from a birthday offer, so maybe that's still frugal.

· Registered
13,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mostly drink it (to-go coffee from any location) when I am out and about during the day. I'm on the move, half an hour or more from home and I'm thirsty, or cold, and need a pick-me-up, and don't want to go into a restaurant. It used to be a nearly daily habit, but since I've cut back on shopping as entertainment, I've cut back on the coffee drinks, too. Even so, I've spent a couple hundred on plastic cups this year, I'm sure.

· Registered
3,058 Posts
lol Spiderdust I work in stores too and since most are walmarts cheap but I use grocery delivery at times just cus I get sick of it. plus they bring it to the door etc. so when I do it all the heavy stuff like pet litter etc. but I get the cheaper delivery $5 and tip too. local chain. I tried the safeway online and pick up but meah rather they deliver to my door. they had a $15 off coupon so why I did it but other chain is better ..easier website etc.

· Registered
49 Posts
lol Spiderdust I work in stores too and since most are walmarts cheap but I use grocery delivery at times just cus I get sick of it. plus they bring it to the door etc. so when I do it all the heavy stuff like pet litter etc. but I get the cheaper delivery $5 and tip too. local chain. I tried the safeway online and pick up but meah rather they deliver to my door. they had a $15 off coupon so why I did it but other chain is better ..easier website etc.
I've also been happier with Walmart grocery pickup or delivery in my area as opposed to Safeway's. Instacart seems to work decently for all of the stores, but I also have a household member who signed up for their free delivery membership and shares that benefit with me.

Oh guys Starbucks is my obsession and the day gets bad if I don't drink coffee from there. So I think if I stopped going there I could buy a new Iphone next month😅
Are you a member of any rewards programs? (Swagbucks, etc) You can often earn free Starbucks gift cards through those.

· Registered
3,058 Posts
Yes it was more dealing with the instacart shoppers while I was working lol esp during covid ignored rules etc. but last few were nice. I don't know about the walmart delivery here but I know the pickup is popular. I just remembered dh got a starbucks email gift card he gave to me that I have to load into the app.

I avoided pickup urge lol got dh to pick up pet litter and milk. and he saw the price of pet litter and got a huge one lol

· Registered
8 Posts

· Moderator aka AmyBob
13,578 Posts
I have the Starbucks app, but only go if I am given a gift card there, which was a fairly common teacher gift when I was at the middle school. Then I could earn the points and get free things every now and then.

However, I think it's super interesting when I'm scrolling through TikTok, how many people who chronicle their mornings stop for a Starbucks coffee every single day when dropping off their kids at school or heading to work. I guess if they can afford it, then more power to them, but it would definitely not fit in my budget!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts