Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
8,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking though out registrars and decided to see how much we spent to watch movies. This was prompted by friends saying we just had to get netflix as it saves so much money over renting.

So I checked we watched/rented and average of 2.5 movies a month this past year.

So we spent on average $2.50 plus tax a month to watch movies, generally family movie night and generally a new release dvd.

My friend was shocked they watch way more movies than that. Netflix saved her tons of money over renting.

So I ask How much to you watch and how much do you spend?

What method of movie watching works for you and yours?

· Registered
13,574 Posts
We have Netflix by mail and we get at least 2 dvds a week so it saves us tons. And I love not having to drive to the rental place.

DH works in a movie theatre corporate office so we get to see new releases for free at the moment.

· Registered
5,439 Posts
$8/month

Streaming Netflix

DS and DH average three or four movies a week. DD is off at college and she watches at least five movies a week. I watch one or two a week.

If there is a movie we want to see that is not on Netflix yet, I use codes for free rentals from RedBox and Blockbuster kiosks.

DS and DD will go to the movies about once a month to once every two months. Typically they spend about $35-$40 between the two of them when they go.

· Registered
641 Posts
About two or three times a year we will buy a movie from the $5 bin at Walmart, but that is about it. Most of the movies I watch are on TV which we use an antenna for, or through Hulu on my computer. If we find a really good movie on Hulu my DH will hook the pc up to a projector we have and we will watch the movie on the wall. :)

· Registered
9,309 Posts
Our computer is too old to watch movies on. We are very lucky that our antenna tv picks up so many stations. We have one channel dedicated to just movies. Of course they are older, some in black and white (their my favorite) and it's not always what we want to watch. We live with that and are happy to have that channel as an option. Other than that we watch movies on other tv stations at times. We do redbox with their free codes. And until our VCR died I'd buy old vcr tapes for 25 cents, maybe 10 a year. Every movie we've gone to in the last 5 years at the regular theater has been with a free pass. However, we have gone to the discount theater, they play old movies. Maybe 3 times in the last 5 years, it's $2.50 a person now, used to be $1.

Our oldest does netflix, but mostly for games. I can't remember the last time he got a movie. It comes out of his money, we don't pay for it.

My Mom gets a senior discount thing for like $25 to just get the very basic reception and a few channels. She's happy with it. But she asked me to get her hooked up to the free tv so she can switch it out if nothings on the few channels she has. She can watch pretty many movies on those channels though, and every once in awhile they do channel previews and she'll get several days of movies. She feels it's a good deal for her since she's in very poor health and can not get out like others do. So for what? $300 a year she gets to watch movies and never leave her house. I guess netflix would be cheaper, but there's the 1 movie then wait till you're shipped another. I'm not sure she wants to sit and wait. I'm not even sure you can do netflix without internet. She does not have internet so no watching movies on the computer either, so I guess $300 a year is not bad for someone like her with few options for entertainment.

· Registered
170 Posts
Netflix is awesome. Honestly, with Netflix I would be happy to ditch the cable tv. Haven't ditched it yet cause hubs still wants it. But as long as I have Netflix I don't need anything else. It's a really good buy for the money as far as I'm concerned.

· Registered
1,314 Posts
we do 6 movies at a time with Netflix. We're overseas and are blocked from streaming on American sites . We also have twin toddlers so we never make it to the movies. We don't have cable- so Netflix is how we watch movies and series

· Registered
3,736 Posts
We pay 8.68 a month each for hulu and netflix. We used to have cable and that was about 90 dollars a month. We also used to rent from redbox occasionally, which is cheap except that I never got around to taking them back the next day so it wasn't unusual for me to pay $10 to rent one movie.

· Registered
7,078 Posts
we do not have netflex thinking about it though. Hubby is real bad at least 2 week from the video store then returns them 3-4 days late. He hardly ever rents anything for me or grandma. so it is a lot. at least $15 dollars a week he wastes.

· Registered
2,850 Posts
I used to have netflix and had the movies sent and then still didn't watch them. Argh. When the price increased I stopped the service.

DD and I just went two weeks ago to the movies to see The Help (great movie) and it cost 24.00 for two tickes, one popcorn and two drinks. that is not cost effective.

· Registered
1,605 Posts
We do Netflix. With DD who is 4 we use it a good bit. She gets a DVD and then we get one alternately. We are teaching her to share...hehe!

· Registered
7,060 Posts
Over the past year I think I have spent about $5 at Redbox.

I enjoy movies but by the time they come out to rent I forget what movie I want to watch. Fortunately I have a cable that shows movies on different channels so I can get my fix there.

I was watching some movies at the theatre since I had some great coupons, but really there are only a few that I think seeing on the big screen really makes sense.

If going to a theatre were cheaper I know I would be going more often though. Then I wouldn't forget what movie I might have thought would be good to see.

· Registered
10,556 Posts
I pay approx $15/month to add the movie network to our cable bill and HBO Canada are included with it.

Average big brand name cinema price right now - anywhere between $8-$13/movie

This allows me to watch all the movies I want and when I want - they can be 'on demand' and/or I can PVR them and watch when I am ready. I have no problems waiting another month after the blockbuster has been released to DVD for it to start airing on the movie network. There are a lot of non over in your face advertised movies that are so awesome. I'd have never known about them without the movie network.

Another bonus to paying for those channels monthly - I am not limited in the number of people who watch each movie/show either. :thumb:

· Registered
2,600 Posts
If I was using Netflix strictly to offset how much I spent renting movies, it wouldn't be cost effective. I haven't truly rented a movie in a decade.

I got Netflix because I haven't had cable/satellite since I moved out of my parent's house, 13 or so years ago. For a few years, I bought movies on DVD, with the occasional rental. After getting burned on bad blind buys, and getting tired of watching the same movies over and over again, I went with Netflix.

Netflix did save me a lot, as I was buying 2-4 new movies each month, at $15-$20 each. I would guess that 1 out of 7 or so were not movies I wished to watch again. Switching to Netflix was simple.

· Registered
586 Posts
We've gotten movies at the redbox, 1.00/per - and no tax. We buy $5 movies occaisionally at Wally world. No TV hook-up (personal choice), no watching TV or movies on the computer (internet is super slow here - it'd take a week to load!!). After gall bladder surgery, I can't eat microwaved popcorn, but I've gotta have my fix - air popped all the way now (very cheap, comparatively).
Our DVD movie library is pretty extensive, can almost always find something.

· Registered
3,770 Posts
I just watch whatever is on the tube I'm not much of a movie person. We go out to the movies a few times a year and spend between $20 and $40 bucks, depending on when we go.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.