Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you pay your neighborhood kids to shovel snow? If so, how much do they get? (and how big is your drive?)

·
Registered
128 Posts
My DS14 makes a chunk of change shoveling. Our driveway is two cars wide, and for that size he makes anywhere from $10 - $20. He nevers tells them what to pay him (God love him!) so it varies by person. Most of his driveways are that size, and he does sidewalks when he does them.

Usually it's $20 or sometimes more for really heavy snow, but he has one older lady that just can't afford more so she pays him $10.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
we have a plow service.

dh will usually snow blow a path for the dogs on the deck/patio area and blow the sidewalks so dd and i can walk down drive to get to bus. i have in the past paid the snowplow guy $15 to get out of his truck and shovel and salt the above mentioned areas if dh is OOT and we have a storm. (i give him the salt as they want $30 ea time to lay down salt...)

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
The older lady that we used to live beside made me take $10 from her after I shovelled her driveway. I don't know if that was the going rate. That was a double car, one car length paved drive.

Plow service here starts at $30 and goes up depending on size of driveway.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
My snow shovelers receive free room and board in exchange for all manner of 'services' :)

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Registered
906 Posts
I pay $1 for my double drive and sidewalks - then again, some of you will laugh at what we call snow.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have a single car width driveway that is about 3 car lengths long and they want to charge me $20 for just that so I do it myself with just a shovel. It kills my back each time but no one will do it for free or for less. Maybe I need to put an add in the paper and find someone who will do it for me for less. The snow plow throws a couple feet of snow in the end of the driveway each time. It should be illegal to do that to a handicapped person when they have a choice to plow it to the other side of the street. I hate this city!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Our drive is about 150 ft. long and goes from 1 car width all the way to 3 cars width. DH uses our snow blower to do our drive and our landlords parking lot. He doesn't mind doing the landlords area because our landlord does all yard work, we have free trash removal coutesy of landlord, and we store the snowblower in the landlords garage. He can use it anytime he wants to.

Cat

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
My guys shovel ours for hot cocoa and warm towels! To pay someone would be crazy high. We have a long horseshoe driveway. To get it plowed is $100 a pop. Then to get our cars shoveled out is $25 a piece. $10 to shovel the walk to our door. Oh and we are required to have the postbox area shoveled out to fit the mail truck, kids want $15 for that.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My Wovel is still going strong. Some of you people in town should get one...do your driveway, then do your neighbors' for x dollars to more than offset the cost of the Wovel. Do it right and you won't spend any more time shoveling than you did before you got the Wovel. AND your back will thank you.

Lee

·
Registered
672 Posts
We live in an apartment and the local kids dont' seem interested in shoveling. I do it myself but then again all i have to do is the sidewalk(which is about 25ft) and around our car. I get annoyed though because we share a sidewalk with the neighbor upstairs and she has NEVER shoveled the sidewalk. She also has never thanked me for doing it. I was really mad last year when i shovel almost 3 foot of snow from the walk.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Our driveway is 6 cars long and one and a half cars wide. The neighborhood kids won't do it! :) For a plow, it's $50 per snowstorm. We bought a snow blower second hand and get more than enough use out of it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I pay a plow company $325 a season for a single width/3 car long drive. They come for 5+cm and to season max of 10 feet.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Fortunately it is included in the rent!! They have a crew that comes around and shovels the sidewalks and stairs. I shovel my balcony. Not that it needs it. Just like shoveling that small area. lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.