Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Hi Ladies,
My sons recently got a job babysitting for a friend of ours and I was shocked when she told me that she paid $6 an hour! Even our friend, who is a daycare provider, doesn't make that much an hour for 2 kids from the same family. The last time I paid for a sitter (about 3 years ago), I paid the kid $3 an hour. How much to you all pay???:eek:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Gosh, I want to go back to babysitting!! NOT! :D

Now this is 30 years ago when I did it as a young teenager, but I only made $.50 - $1.00 an hour! My cousin paid better! :laugh:

·
Registered
121 Posts
My daughter babysits a lot and from one family she gets $4/hour and from another she gets $3/hour. Both have only one child in their family.

yolo

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
My 12 yo dd just recently started baby-sitting, and she has gotten $3-4 and hour. I think that's OK for her age. Older ones might need to get a little more.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before Patrcik was born(when I had 3 kids) , I would give $5/hour to the babysitter. I thought she had alot of responsibility with 3. If the time went 15 minutes past , I would add another hour to her pay.

I no longer have a baby sitter. We never go out, we can't leave the 4 boys alone, even Francois is almost 15. It just doesn't work...

Debbie, I think it depends on the number of kids the babysitter has to sit and if they are awake or sleeping. I guess it can be negociable. I find 3$/hour for 1 or 2 kids is reasonable. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I pay my sitter $8-$10 an hour. She drives almost 20 minutes to get here and my den is more or less picked up when I get home. My son refuses to go to sleep for her and with that second wind, he is still bouncing off the walls when I get home. He does, however, fall asleep within 3 minutes of me getting home - couch or bed LOL! She's an amazing girl who just finished high school while taking mostly college courses her senior year. She's an awesome role model for my 12 yo dd and my 23 mo son has the biggest crush on her. She is well worth every penny!

Also understand that "dates" with dh are usually something free, or extraordinarily cheap so we're not spending $100 dollars for a night out. We'd rather spend the time together than the money. We don't go out to eat to talk over other people, and rarely ever go to the movies. We'll go night geocaching and then stop at a Borders, grab a couple of drinks and a travel book and sit on a couch together, things like that.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I don't have a set rate I pay, but if I'm just going to the dentist, or something that takes a couple hrs, I'll give her $10.00. If I go out with dh all day I'll give her $30.00 for the day. So I guess I average about $5.00/hr. For a 12 year old, I think that's really good.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
My dd gets 8.oo an hour!!! Wow!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
My goodness, that makes me really glad that my kids are all grown or almost grown. I paid $3.00 an hour for 3 of them when they were little. That has been over 15 years ago though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts