Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always shocked at how much meat my mom & SIL use to make things like tacos & meatloaf.

My mom buys THREE POUNDS of hamburger for just her & my dad for one meal of tacos. THREE POUNDS!!!!

My SIL uses NINE POUNDS of hamburger to make meatloaf for seven people (3 adults and 4 kids all under 10).

When I make tacos or meatloaf I use ONE POUND (or less) to feed six people (two adults, two teens and two boys 9 & 12). The meatloaf makes one 9x13 pan.

I do add about a cup of old-fashioned oatmeal to each to stretch it and add a bit of whole grains to our meal. But the amounts others in my family boggle me. My mom says I use less because of the oatmeal. I don't think that's it.

How much ground meat do you use for tacos or meatloaf?

Reactions: jas

·
Registered
904 Posts
at most a pound would make a huge amount of Taco meat for me.

I put oatmeal and bread crumbs into my meat loaf, hadn't thought about for Taco's too. Thanks for the hit. If I am making a meat loaf for a covered dish dinner I might use 2 lbs at the most.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
For tacos or enchiladas I use about two to two and a half pounds of ground turkey.

For meatloaf I use around four or five pounds of ground turkey. I add a small amount of oats and crackers, but not a lot.

There are four of us, all adult size meals (DH, myself, DD 17, & DS 15). I usually have enough left over for me to have for lunch the next day.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Between a pound or a pound and half depending on what kind of leftovers I am looking to have for lunches. There are 4 of us. Sometimes I think I could do with even less then that really.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I buy and use a pound. Its only myself and my rarely-home daughter to feed. Most dishes become:

1 serving for supper, heaping
1 serving for lunch the next day, heaping
1 serving frozen for another day's dinner or lunch, heaping.

If I'm feeling super-frugal I will extend those heaping amounts into smaller amounts and eat the item longer or freeze more servings but I really prefer to eat more variety than the same meal many times in a row.

Of course, it depends on the meal if it stretches farther as well. If dd does actually show up and try whatever I made, great! If not, that's how I usually divvy it up the first night.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
For tacos, one and a quarter pound of ground turkey. Thats the standard package size. For meatloaf, 2 lbs hamburger. This is for two adults. The taco meat makes enough for 2 meals for 2 of us. The meatloaf makes 2 meals and a couple sandwiches - sometimes not, depending on how much DH eats.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I use a pound for tacos and 1 1/2 pounds for a meatloaf. This feed four adults and I always have left over meatloaf.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
For meatloaf for my family of 6 I use approx. 2 pounds of ground meat. For tacos I use about 1/2 a pound, after it has been cooked I stir in a couple cans of beans, refried and black.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
THREE POUNDS OF MEAT???? Yikes!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I don't use ground beef for tacos. For meatloaf, I use 1 lb ground beef, 1/2 lb ground pork, and 1/2 lb ground veal or ground turkey. There are just the two of us and this generally makes around three meals for each of us - it depends if I slice some for sandwiches, which might stretch it further.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I use 1 pound for tacos for dh, myself and DD. For meatloaf, I may use 2 pounds, but I really like meatloaf sandwiches so I intend to have leftovers.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
For tacos I use 1lb, or whatever is in the package (but I generally buy close to 1lb at a time) and that makes two dinners for the two of us, or 1 dinner and lunches for DH.

For meatloaf, again ~1lb of meat and I add in 1 cup of dry breadcrumbs and I get 1 loaf that fills a standard pan about 3/4 full. Again, two dinners for 2, or dinner and leftovers.

Some people like to use a lot of filler to stretch meat out to feed more people. I don't.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Forgot to answer the original question:

I use 2-4 lbs of hamburger for tacos, but tend to freeze a lot to take to work later. As far as meatloaf, I hate the stuff, so we don't cook it at home. The wife gets it when she visits her parents every so often.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use one package of ground beef for four servings. Sometimes it's a pound's worth, sometimes it's a little less or a little more. Depends on the butcher's packaging.

Three pounds is a lotto meat. I think the meatloaf would be a very different texture than what I'm used to. Does she put in 2+ cups of oatmeal/breadcrumbs in? It'd be super dense otherwise.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I fry about a 2# pkg. of 90/10 beef usually Lauras lean. That said,I take a cereal bowl for our meal filled w/ meat-4 people. The rest goes for "snack" tacos for the teens. So prob. another 4- 6 tacos. I usually have beans of enchiladas for everyone but me. It backs the meat eater off. Too much cholesterol.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I use one pound for tacos, two for cheeseburgers and it depends on the size meatloaf. I make enough for six people, though.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
For my meatlaof, I use 2lbs of beef , than add italian flavored bread crumbs, and grated parmesan as my "stretcher". For tacos, we seem to load up more on the veggies and cheese than meat, so 1lb works fine. This is for 6 people.

Theresa:)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.