1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
How much does it cost to run a dishwasher and is it cheaper than washing up by hand? (msn.com)

"According to dishwasher manufacturer Beko, the average household does 280 standard wash cycles a year (about five washes a week). Let's see how the costs would compare for using this 1.5kW example dishwasher if you only used it five times a week (which would mean 280 uses per year) rather than daily. "
We are a family of 4 and fun the dishwasher almost everyday. I chalk some of that up to we eat at home a lot and rarely eat out.

·
Registered
13,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we never had a dishwasher when I was growing up.....I was the dishwasher LOL
Same here, and I hated it. DH is the same way, rather be doing something else than standing over a sink, so we had a nice dishwasher put in when we renovated the kitchen. We don't use it every day, though.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I think it is how you handwash dishes too. getting to be a lost skill. Didn't have dishwasher for years and really don't mind not having one if just me and dh but with kids got tired of it so when cheap sm portable dishwashers came in at a local store .got one a few years ago. even at the point of putting pots and pans in it. still on the list to get rid of is the built in we bought new cheap before we got the house..20yrs ago. cus dh said he couldn't live without a dishwasher...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I don’t know how much it costs to do them by dishwasher vs sink but I despise washing dishes to the very depths of my soul. It’s worth the cost for us. We wind up running it three times a week unless I’m doing a lot of baking etc. Any large chunks of food I’ll scrape into trash but I don’t rinse the dishes or pans. They just go right on in.

Our power company sent out a mailing a while back stating that is cheaper to use large appliances before 7 am or after 7 pm. I do try to adhere to that and start the dishwasher and laundry using that timeline.

·
Registered
13,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wash the pans because we only have a couple of them. Two steel pots and two light frying pans, so they get used nearly every day, but they are easy to clean out. We don't have different rates for different times, so DH can run it whenever.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
We don't have certain rates for different times yet here. I just hate unloading the dishwasher maybe if it was like vintage style counter one or the drawers (so exp) but then I want them at hip levels. and no space for that. so now I just make everyone else unload it most of the time lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
How much does it cost to run a dishwasher and is it cheaper than washing up by hand? (msn.com)

"According to dishwasher manufacturer Beko, the average household does 280 standard wash cycles a year (about five washes a week). Let's see how the costs would compare for using this 1.5kW example dishwasher if you only used it five times a week (which would mean 280 uses per year) rather than daily. "
my thing is... it is just me......it would not make sense for me to run the dishwasher even once a week. this is why I use mine as a dish drainer LOL

·
Super Moderator
3,030 Posts
There are people (like me) who fill a dish pan with soapy water and then rinse after washing, others leave the hot water running and squirt soap on each piece and wash it under the running water. Apples and oranges.
I even start out with a small amount of soapy water in the pan and use the rinse to continue to fill it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts