Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the 'grocery' and 'no spend days' challenges that I'm starting, I've decided to write on a calendar the date I fill up my gas tank, and see if I can make it last a little longer. I figure this will help me avoid unnecessary trips and mindless 'cruising'. Maybe, just maybe, I'll even walk sometimes instead of driving!! :bolt:

I only work 3 miles from my house, 3 days per week. I just started measuring this, and my last tank of gas (18 gallons, about $42.00) lasted 10 days. I'm going to see if I can make it last 2 weeks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I work about 30 miles from home. I can usually go ALMOST 7 days on a full tank, as long as I only go to work and home, and maybe 2 trips to the grocery store. This week I have used a lot more. I had a grandmother in the hosptital in another city, and this week I will be driving back 'home' to that city for her memorial services. I don't mind spending gas for that though.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
More than I'd like.

Every day I drive the girls to school (2 miles round trip).
Then I drive the boys to school an hour later (2 miles round trip).

Then on Mondays/Wednesdays, I drive myself to college (about 6 miles round trip each day) for my morning class.

On Tuesdays/Thursdays I make a second trip back to the college for my evening class (another 6 mile round trip each day).

Every afternoon I pick up the girls, then sit at the boys school for about 30 minutes in the van just to save another 2 mile round trip to pick up the boys. (2 miles round trip).

So anywhere from 12 to 18 miles per day.

That does not include any errands I may have to run. I do try to consolidate my errands to once a week or less and all at once when I do. It gets kind of hard when I only have an hour or two between my classes & having to pick up kids from school.

I drive a mini van & only need a fill up every 10-14 days.

My, I did ramble there, didn't I :blush:

·
8,714 Posts
~I looked back through my spending record for the year so far. DH has filled his car up 5 times for a total of $139. I've put gas in the mini-van(never fill it)3 times for a total of $65. Both cars get about 22 MPG. I've budgeted $100 a month for gas and oil changes for a year now and it's working well. What also helps is gas gifts cards I get as a reward from our credit card. I expect to get about $200 in free gas this year.~

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
MY truck has a 20 gallon tank. I am a SAHM and the kids are homeschooled so no commute for us. DS has batting practice everyday. He is at the ballfield 7 days a week and at the batting cages 5 days a week. 99% of my driving is to get from one practice to another. We only grocery shop once a month and make weekly trips to the library. The library is only around 1 1/2 mils from my house. I drive about 125 miles a week. DH fills my truck every two weeks on Wednesday (payday) usually. For my truck we spend about $100 a month on gas.

DH car also has a 20 gallon tank. His office is 7 miles from home. He fills up every other Wednesday as well. Someimes he has to put ten or twenty in his tank before fill-up day. His gas runs about $120 amonth

·
Registered
616 Posts
I average $87 a month for my small car. A fill-up costs me $35-45 depending on how much the gas is.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I get ~26 miles to the gallon on my little pontiac sunfire. I am currently unemployed and I only run errands once a week and few times a month I usually have an apt. of some sort and I try to visit my mother. I only need to fill up once a month and it costs me ~$30 when I fill up the tank.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I drive a minivan and dh drives an older nissan pathfinder. I am generally able to keep it under $50 a month for me - just driving to homeschool activities, groceries, appointments & family trips around town. DH has to drive 35 miles each way to work (70 miles a day) and we budget $230 a month for his gas. We have been able to reduce some of that with commuting. I'm sure that my gas will go up some as it warms up and we do more field trips and having to drive to visit family.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I usually go 6-8 weeks between fill ups.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
We spend about $45-$65 every two weeks on gas, depending on the price and how much we've been driving. Generally it is just used to get my husband back and forth from the train station, to drive my daughter to her art classes, and to get groceries once a week.

We spend more than twice as much on train fare as we do on gas.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Our gas bills are horrendous as DH works quite a distance away. He may spend 100 dollars weekly.We own 1/2 of a duplex in his work town so if he does 3 days in a row, or is on call, he can stay there and it saves on the gas.( co- worker owns other side so it is not too miserable)I can get by with 5 or 10 dollars weekly in my vehicle.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
:dis: Not sure how we could really cut down in this area.....We spend over two hundred a month on gas......We'll probably have to spend to save here. Hubby usually only drives his truck a couple of miles a day.... (old gas guzzler) but it really does it eat it when he has to drive it any distance and my commute to work isn't really far but it's not peanuts (about 25 min. drive with no traffic) Neither of us could walk.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My car- I spend about 10-15 per week on gas I only work 2 miles from my house. I wish I could walk, but walking 2 miles, then standing all day is too much. I tried. Usually besides work, I will do some errands, and visit my parents. The last couple of weeks I have been spending more, my dad is in the hospital. Mom doesnt drive do I have been going to pick her up take her to the hosp. Driving her home and then back to my home. Last week I spent about 30.
total round trip in miles from my home, my parents home and the hospital is approx. 38 miles.

DH car- He spends a fortune. close to 75 per week. He is on the road alot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i try to keep it to once a week, but sometimes it is hard to do. I am lucky because I recently started a new job and one of the perks is if we stay late one day mid month, they give us a 25 dollar gift card to one of about fifty places. one of the places is my local gas station, so i request that one. This is only offered once a month, but that is okay because it helps out on the gas costs.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
it seems like i'm ALWAYS in my suv. i drive my older 3 to school everyday, then i drive my 4 year old to preschool on tuesdays/thursdays. then on tuesdays my son has flagfootball, my daughter has cheerleading, and on wednesday both of my girls have gymnastics. i fill up about every 7 days & it costs me about $70.00.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts