Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking over the past couple of days, actually since the "always something to do thread", and asking myself "how much is enough?" Sara really got me thinking in her post.

I went through dd's dresser yesterday and she had 20 tops. :eek: Now, how many can she wear at once? How many does she really need? How many does she even wear, she has likes and dislikes. I wash at least twice a week, so there is no way she needs 20 tops!!!! It isn't only tops, its pants, shorts, socks, etc. Its the same with the boys. When I went through Michael's sweaters, I couldn't believe how many he had.

Dd has about 50 cat ornaments - how many does she really like and enjoy and the nicer ones, she can't even see because she has so many. All they do is collect dust and take up room.

I have umpteen porcelain dolls and I enjoy most of them but there are a few that aren't my favorite. How many do I really need to enjoy a few. My china cabinet was filled with umpteen china cups and saucers, but I have my favorites. (The ones I didn't really like I sent to goodwill.)

When I was decluttering last week, I decided we needed 5 saucers, 5 cereal bowls and 5 cups. (I have a good set of dishes for special occasions.) The rest all went to goodwill. You know what, I haven't missed the ones I sent and were making due with 5 of each - its perfect. We don't have near as many dirty dishes at once, the kids are learning to take care of their own dishes and I'm not working near as hard as I was at keeping it all clean.

I read once a story about the king coming to see the gardener's prized flowers. He cut off every bloom, all except ONE!! He was asked why and he said, because I want the king to truly see the beauty in this one flower. I'm reminded of that story everytime I declutter.

So your question, how much is enough? Thoughts!!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Well ya got me thinking...I have so many coffee mugs and we use the same four, so they have to go....and its time to clean out my clothes closets again( I usually do this at Christmas time but they are overflowing.....what else:confused: ...Oh my craft room has so much in it that I don't do anymore, like rubber stamps, and other things...I stick only to sewing, so those things are going to waste......Just like you I had all these porcelain dolls that I wasn't real crazy about, so I rounded them up and gave them to my twin nieces. They thought that was just the greatest thing getting dolls from my collection....now my teddy bear collection:smted:, NO WAY WILL I PART WITH THEM!!!!!:toothy:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Good point. I moved my good dishes to a different cabinet from the evryday ones, and the kids or dh still goes there instead of washing off the dishes they have used already.
I may move other to different areas of the house, then they won't be easy to get to.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I know what you mean!

I keep saying to myself I'll elliminate a lot of the dishes...shoot we even have a set of china under ayla's bed we don't use after Carl bought it without even asking me!!! (garage sale find)

I know ayla has way too many clothes since her grandma always gets her stuff. I buy her maybe one or two new peices every two months or so? The rest just keeps coming in faster than I can keep track of.

Since the toss it challenge has started it's helped. Like, things I used to find laying out that we don't use, I used to just find a spot to put it 'away'. Now I just toss it if I know it is of no use to us.

With clothes, I do try to get rid of some old things after I buy new things. One of my ex boyfriends mom would tell him that with each new clothing item she bought him, he had to get rid of two old things. I don't know why she did, but it did seem to make him think twice about wanting to get new stuff.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I too have way to many clothes as does dd. This past Sunday we cleaned her room and got out 2 large bags of paper stuff, magazines, papers from school, etc. Then we decided that from now on when we ran across a piece of clothes that we didn't like or didn't fit, we would put it in a pile. So far she has added a couple of things. Most of her clothes are hand me downs or yard sale finds but even with that you only need so much.

pat

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
CJ, you have made me start thinking, I really don't need all the dishes that I have, I have so many coffee cups that it is unreal. I am the only one here that drinks coffee, so why do I need 20 cups, I DON"T! I am going to go straight to the kitchen and get rid of all but the 4 that are my favorites. I am also going to get rid of the all the extra glasses that we don't use. WOOHOO-I am on a roll! Thank you CJ. I needed that extra motivation! I am off to declutter-declutter-declutter!

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
I am doing the exact same thing right now.....with cleaning and decluttering my upstairs the same thoughts are with me....how many clothes do we really need? I am trying to come up with a reasonable number of outfits for each person. It's easy for my DH and myself, we wear the same things over and over.........my daughter, well, being the "only" girl up until this point she has been so spoiled with clothes (from family), it has been getting better lately. My DS#1 is pretty good, he has 4 pair of good jeans and about 4-5 good sweater and 3 good shirts and he rotates them.........my DS#2, that's another story, he is an "outside" boy and gets dirty just stepping outside and is always changing!!

While decluttering I have noticed that I am throwing out (donating) clothes that have hardly been worn because there are just SO many to choose from.

Gread thread CJ!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
You're right CJ-since the toss it challenge, I have lightened the poundage in my house too. We have been using 3 sets of silverware for I don't know how long. The drawer was soooo heavy! I decided to get rid of two of them and keep the biggest set (service for 8) DH had a fit. "I want spoons, I want knives, yada yada yada." I said too bad, they are going! Into the yard sale pile!

I got so used to pulling hard on that drawer, that now when I do it, it flies open because it is so light!

I can find my clothes easier too. They actually slide around in the closet! Now DH clothes are a different story. I may give him some of my free space for his dress shirts. He hardly wears them, only when we go someplace nice. I think I'll go declutter my dresses! lol

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't really finish posting because I wanted to see what others said.

This goes a lot further than cups or clothes. It comes down to sheets, towels, faceclothes, table clothes, etc. etc. How many sheets does one need - 2 pair, although I've gotten away with one pair for quite a long time until I had enough $$ to purchase a a good quality set. You need a set for your bed, 2 is nice so that when your washing bedding, you can make your bed up right away. BUT, most people can dry their clothes the same day, so really you only need 1 pr.

How many towels do you need? A couple of sets, and yet again we can all get away with one set per person in the family. Each set normally has a facecloth, hand towel and bath towel. Enough really when you look at it, although its nice to have 2 sets. But how many do most of us have???

More food for thought!! I guess its always thinking about what's coming in your home and whats there. Think of what we could do with the $$ we spend on so much of the stuff in our homes. We could pay off debt, work at paying off mortgages if you have one, donate to charity, go on a dream vacation. I know that lots of the stuff that comes into our homes is given to us, but the majority of stuff we've purchased, be it yard sales or stores..

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Good though CJ. I keep wondering how many clothes is enough myself. It seems like an endless battle to do laundry here because there is sooooo much. I know they have more than enough. I think Chris has like 4 pair of tennis shoes that he wears. I don't know why? Couldn't he survive with one good pair? I only have on good pair of tennis shoes, not four.

I agree, with all the money we are spending on the materialistic items, we could be paying off another debt. I guess we never stop to think before we purchase something. I impulse buy often. If I see something on clearance and think it is a good deal I buy it. I need to stop and rethink my spending habits.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
well as for towels, we have 1 each, sheets, 1 set per bed.
I have 2 pr shoes, my sneakers and sandals. The guys have 3 pr each I think.
I do have a lot of clothes, they were all given to me, I have not spent money on clothes for me in over a year!
Dh has 2 pr jeans and several shirts the kids about 5 sets.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We need to declutter badly. When we moved to our home it was just four of us, now there are 7. Our home seemed so huge before and now it seems so small.

I have always been a packrat! UGH. It is frustrating. I want a simpler life and a nice neat home.

I have tried to balance "enough, but not too much" and then I always thing, "but what if I need his someday?" It is not an easy balance to strike - at least not for me.

We had such a hard time financially when we first started out with our family that I do tend to hold onto things way past their usefulness. I really do wish that I could declutter everything get rid of all the "extra" and see our family still get by. If that could happen then I think I could let it all go, KWIM?

LOL! I think their is a deeper issue here...insecurity about our financial situation. The funny thing is that DH and I have never been in a better financial position. We are not wealthy, of course, but we definitely know where our family's next meal is coming from and we have savings. Maybe old habits (of holding on to things) die hard?

Okay, I've certainly rambled on long enough here. I am going to give this more thought.

Kristin

edited for clarity

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Thanks for posting this!

I went through dd and mine drawers today and tossed out two medium target bags full of clothes! (plus one toy) I feel so liberated!

I tossed some jeans that I was waiting to 'get skinny' for...but even then they aren't the most comfy jeans anyways...I tossed shirts of mine that were not my style anymore...some hand me downs from a neighbor that just take up space for the most part....and ayla's old baby socks too small, and some other hand me down clothes that she just doesn't need anymore. Now i finally have room to store her sheets/towels!

speaking of towels, she has way too many baby sized ones. Actually I don't even use the baby sized ones so that's another thing I can toss or put in our 'save for another baby' pile...

my husband has wayyyyyyyyyy too many t shirts :eek: I've already gone through with him and tossed all the stuff he would let me. But how many black t shirts does that guy really need? He seems to rarely wear those to work and I hardly see him wear them around the house:confused: I think I might just pick out the worst looking ones and toss those without him even being the wiser ;) He really does only need 5 anyways!

I love clothes, and whenever I buy new stuff I usually get rid of some old things. But I do make some impulse purchases just to make myself feel better. We'd be better off if I stopped doing that! I feel like I'd have to tie myself to a chair just to stay away from the clothes stores :bang: and it never helps when carl tells me 'it's okay, here's x amount of money for you to spend, GO SHOP' :eek:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I agree...we can have too much sometimes and it only clutters our homes, our life, our minds...

When Daniel was a year old, I had read a book, called *De-junk your Life* by Don Asslett. Back then I started to unclutter my home and after a while our home was full of space and I felt so good and free. BUT I slowly filled it up again with sooo much stuff! :eek:

10 years later, I still need to declutter our home...*sigh*
I guess it's an ongoing thing...But this time, I really hope that I will be able to conquer this once and for all! I dream of a simple, simple life...:cloud9:

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
:bump: bumping up this thread as I read The Simple Living Guide and start my decluttering mission :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts