Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing a search, but do you have any idea how many laundry threads there are? :surprise:

Let me preface by saying that I know a lot of gals on here make their own laundry detergent, but since I work 7 days a week, I find it easier to buy. I buy the Tide when on sale/with coupon and it lasts me a long time.

So far I've been able to avoid purchasing the new 2X concentrated detergent. I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for that little bottle. But I finally ran out of my regular and couldn't find anything but the 2X, so I bought the smallest bottle I could. I barely put enough in the cap to cover the bottom, poured it in and rinsed the cap in the water running into the washer as usual. I checked it after it had time to do some swishing around and found the washer full of suds! :yikes: So now I'm running the load through with just water to get all the soap out. I could wash another load with it.

I put some water in the cap just like I put the soap for the load and measured it. It was less than a tablespoon!! I think I'm going to have to use a teaspoon to measure out the detergent. And this isn't a fancy washer, either. It's a plain ole upright. But I'd like to hear others' experience with the ultra-concentrated laundry detergents.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I haven't used the 2x stuff, but it sounds like that bottle should last you a long time!! I have a front loader and usually buy the Tide HE detergent, but not always. Depends on the deal. Anyway, I always cut the amount they say we should use in half. That has been working well for me for years.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I'm one of those 'make my own' gals... and I use 2 tablespoons per load. I know there is a sign on the laundry room wall saying that our machines can only handle 1/4 cup, and recommend only using 2 tablespoons.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I only use a teeny bit of the 2X stuff. Then I keep watering down the bottle after some is gone.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm also using about 1/2 of the recommended amount of the 2x Tide. I always put a scoop of Oxi-clean in though to get out any stains that I might not have noticed & pre-treated. That has been working fine for us. :laundry:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
We have very small loads so no more than a tablespoon so our huge size container from Costco lasts a very long time.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I haven't used the 2x stuff, but it sounds like that bottle should last you a long time!! I have a front loader and usually buy the Tide HE detergent, but not always. Depends on the deal. Anyway, I always cut the amount they say we should use in half. That has been working well for me for years.

I haven't used the 2x concentrated either, but I would imagine that will last you a long time. I stocked up on fragrance free ALL and Purex when they were on sale and I find that 1/4 to 1/2 of the cap works well for me, it depends on the size/dirtiness of the loads I am washing.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Just curious those of you who use a lot less, do you have soft water? Our water is very hard here so not sure we could cut back to the same extent?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious those of you who use a lot less, do you have soft water? Our water is very hard here so not sure we could cut back to the same extent?
Didn't think about that. My water is soft. With the 'regular' Tide I used maybe 1/4 of the cap.

I think another problem was the load I was doing wasn't full (extra-grungy stuff I didn't want to wash with the others) so there was extra swishy room, which caused more of a lather. The next load was full, and it took 1 tablespoon. So I'm thinking 1 tablespoon for full, 1/2 tablespoon for small loads. This baby will last a l-o-o-n-g time!! :nails:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I also buy the Tide HE for my front loader and I put in about 2 tablespoons and it works really well!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I used Charlie's Soap and use 1 Tablespoon per load.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I usually use 1/4 to 1/2 capful of either 2X or 3X All. I also add a small scoop or two of Oxy-Clean and a little Dawn dish soap (helps remove greasy stains).
Our water is on the hard side. When we had softer water, I could use a little less soap.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Disclaimer: We do have a water softener.....

I use about 1/4 cup or less. Our loads are LARGE. Super Large Capacity washer (family of 6). I've also been avoiding the 2x stuff. Target has the non-concentrated stuff on clearance so I've been trying to buy a couple every time I go in there and have coupons. I have 3-4 bottles stocked up now...

·
Registered
956 Posts
we have fairly hard water (and no softener), and I use 1/2 a scoop of detergent (the amount listed for a small load) for each large load of clothes. Since I pretreat stains and add oxyclean to really dirty stuff, everything comes clean. If I use less than that amount though, the clothes don't get clean. If your water is hard, you just have to slowly cut back until you find what amount works for you.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I experimented with this in the last year (and even with our water softener) our water is so hard that I need to use the recommended amount. I use the measuring cup based on load and buy Tide or Arm & Hammer Powder, and add Borax or bleach depending on color. Less detergent didn't work for me as far as saving money, so I look for others. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
First of all a quite note: I believe that all liquid soaps are going to be 2X, it is suppose to save so many millions of dollars a year in plastic so all companies are switching to making the soap 2X. I always buy my laundry detergent on sale never pay more than$2.50 on a bottle. I use Xtra and I only use half of the cup each time, I also put Oxi-Clean in with my whites and usually wash DH clothes with Dawn, because they are usually quite greasy!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've heard several people mention Oxi-clean here and elsewhere. I've never heard of this product, can someone explain it to me? I have hard water and my whites never get really clean, even with bleach. Does Oxi-clean work better than bleach?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts