Frugal Village Forums banner

How much to feed and home one person?

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Denvergirlie 
#1 ·
I'm looking to make a scientific measurement of how much it would cost to feed and home one person.

To do this I need to know what sort of things to take into account, and I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions. (or links to relevant information)

For food, cheap recipes that you can grow yourself are obviously a good start.

I'd like to know people's frugal experiences of keeping themselves clothed - what would you say you paid a year?

As for shelter, I'm looking to hear from people who don't own their own house or land.

Thanks if you can help.

#2 ·
It varies so much from area to area. . . . I live in the central Midwest, in the boonies. . . housing and food are cheap here. . . taxes are cheap. . . travel expenses to work are astronomical, utilities such as electricity, propane, internet are sky high.

Around here, you can rent a decent 2 bedroom house for $300/month. Low end of electricity would be $120/month, propane for heat runs easily $300/month on average, internet runs $30/month, water minimums are $30/month.

Food -- eating healthy enough, yet very cheaply - you can feed one person for approx. $25- $30 week, depending on meat, special needs, etc.

#3 ·
There are too many variables in this question for accuracy. You need to be much more specific.

Is this person male or female? What age? What is their activity level? Where does this person live and what is the climate? What resources are available for growing or purchasing food? Vegetarian or omnivore?

These are basic questions that you would need to address before you could even BEGIN to address the larger issue, and even then any information you obtained would have limited application. It certainly wouldn't be "scientific."

#5 · (Edited)
Will totally depend on the person and where this person lives.

Then it will also depend on what if any requirements this person needs/ wants for housing.

Can rental a broken down trailer in the boonies for a way different price than a studio apartment in NYC.

Even within cities, the price can vary based on things like areas of town that one is willing to live in. In a low income neighborhood that very well might be gang terrority that price will be vastly different from a newly constructed 1 Bd apartment in a "trendy" part of town.

As for food, will also vary on where one lives. Does this person have a porch and the skills/ interest to grow a tomato plant or herbs? Or does this person live in the inner city where grocery stores might not be plentiful. Does this person have a car or good public transportation to go to a grocery store out of the inner city? Does this rental have a full kitchen or just a microwave, hot plate and mini refrig? If it has a full kitchen, does this person have the pots/ pans and the knowledge to cook for themselves or are they living on frozen dinners?

Need more details and even then it's going to vary a lot.

#7 ·
I always find these stats so interesting.

We are on average about half of that thrifty number.
But on the other hand I know my Dad and his family are more in line with the luxurious numbers and they don't even have any "actual" food in the house to really eat... they spend at least that much eating out each month as well.

So many people live so many different ways; It's always so interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.