Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SIL purchased a dog this summer. It was a terrior type dog and she paid $500 and that was half-priced at that. Well last month the little dog slipped out of the house, ran into the street and was hit by a car. It was a miracle that he wasn't instantly killed. They took him to the vet immediately. The vet was able to treat him but it cost $1,500. My DH said if it had been our dog we would have just had it put to sleep. We only spent $50 on our dog from the Humane Society.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
To me, a pet becomes a member of the family. I would pay the piper.( Let husband gripe)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I would not and could not afford that much. Of course I am against buying a pet like that to begin with with so many animals up for adoption and the money you spend at the shelter goes to help the animals

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Right now I could not afford to pay that kind of a bill. That is one of the reasons that I am not getting another pet right now. One dog and a cat are about all I can afford at this time.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
OUr pets are our children so I would figure out something. Our vet will let us pay what we can, when we can so that helps.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
My pets are not "just animals", they are members of my family. I pay whatever, cost is not a factor in saving an animal's life. They have hearts, souls and personalities. If my animal could be saved and not suffer I will pay any cost. Each year we spend approximately $500 on each of my four dogs and cats for routine visits, flea control meds, heartworm meds etc... If they get sick, I am right there getting them taken care of. I do for them just as I do for my kids. DH is in total agreement with me.

Our vet has such a soft heart. If an owner does not want to pay the amount to save a pet, he does what is needed to treat the animal then he gives the owner the option to make payments. If they choose not to he finds the pet a new home.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I've gone to nearly $1000 a couple of times, and mine are foundlings that I get fixed up and then take care of the rest of their lives. I've typically had my cats around 18 to 20 years each, which is the result of REALLY taking care of them, but recently had one die at 6 1/2 years old due to a blood disease. I'm still mourning! Basically, I think each family needs to consider its own financial condition at the time a crisis arises, and evaluate the emotional commitment to a pet. Mine run pretty deep - unlike my pockets :)

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
My dog needs knee surgery on both back legs. This costs $1,200 per leg. There is no way we can afford this. We are helping her to lose excess weight, and giving her glucosamine chondroitin complex. Both of these seem to be helping. It is all we can do.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I spent $1300 on my cat last year when he ate some thread (it warapped around his intestines). I didn't think twice about it--because I knew that I would be able to payment arrangements.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I like to think I would do whatever but reality knocks hard some days. I believe its a personal decision and sometimes the tough calls have to be made -- some of the advancements they've made in vet medicine! They even have dialysis for dogs. I probably couldn't pull that one off.

My last Shar-pei developed Mast cell cancer and we decided to not go the chemo route. We had the tumor removed and did some other alternatives but he passed away a year later due to kidney failure. It could have been the cancer or it could not have been but I'm not sure. I do know we gave him the best 5 years of his life -- he was a rescue dog and still the best dog I ever had!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
first of all, I, personally, would NEVER purchase a pet from a breeder - any breeder - never, never, never!!

secondly, I would pay whatever I had to - but I would consider what was in the best interest of the dog/cat/whomever before heroic measures took place - if he/she were to never have a good quality of life after an illness or accident, I would consider euthansia instead of surgery - if it were merely a matter of time healing all wounds, I would opt for whatever medical treatment needed. (she could always offer to work part of the bill off - most vets that do boarding are always very busy during the school holidays & could use the extra kennel help)

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
To some people there pets are members of the family and they are completely justified in spending the money on it.

I don't know if I would, but to each their own. People say we're crazy for buying guns at $1000 a pop. Eh, who cares ya know? It's their own money.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I love my two foundling cats. I think of them as my children, I know I will even when I have children some day. I would be willing to pay what needed to be done to save them. I would try to take the circumstance into consideration though. I would have to know if the money I spent would prolong their life or their suffering.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
My kitty just died last week and I am looking at vet bills of over $400, but I would gladly have paid double that if it would have saved him.

I miss him lots, he was a very affectionate cat that we rescued as a stray kitten.

·
Registered
330 Posts
We got both of our dogs from the pound 3 years ago. My dog has had multiple skin infections and bacteria in her skin that makes her itch. We go the vet about once a month. Luckily he is a friend of my BF so he does not charge us office visits and sometimes gives us meds for free. We have probably spent well over $2500 so far. We don't even think twice about it. We don't have children, so they are our kids.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
My kitty just died last week and I am looking at vet bills of over $400, but I would gladly have paid double that if it would have saved him.

I miss him lots, he was a very affectionate cat that we rescued as a stray kitten.
I'm sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. :hugz:

·
Registered
213 Posts
If it meant my dog would live and not suffer, I would pay any amount. Period. In my opinion, when I took on the responsibility of a pet I agreed to the financial aspects of that responsibility as well. I will never understand how someone could put money ahead of something she loves.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
If I had been asked this question a year ago I would have quickly said, never that much money but now that we have had our hearts stolen by our furbaby, Harley, I can honestly say that no price would be too much to keep him healthy and from hurting. I would work overtime to pay if I had too. :)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I'm not sure what I would do. We absolutely love our animals, and take very good care of them. But, I'm not sure if we'd spend thousands of dollars on them, I just don't know. Maybe I'd change my mind if I were in that kind of situation. I totally understand that people's pets are their babies and children. But as far as dialysis, etc, I'm just not sure.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I love my pets dearly and we've spent lots on them (two of them have flown across the Atlantic!) I make sure to set aside money from each pay period for our pets. This covers routine vet visits, emergency vet visits, routine treatments (flea & tick, wormer, etc) and relocation expenses.

I probably wouldn't pay for treatment/surgery if the life my pet leads after will be in pain. I'd rather spend the time loving him until he passes.

If you're not able to pay for emergency procedures, at least you know that you gave your pet a loving home while he was alive. It's up to the owner if the procedure is worth it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts