Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking about kitchen towels, hot mitts, etc.

I stopped buying cheap kitchen towels as it seemed like I was constantly replacing them...lately I've bought 3 from an antique store that sells old ones, mostly linen and I plan to replace my cheap (ebay) huck towels as they disintegrate with those. What do you do?

Also re hot mitts or hot pads...Years ago I bought commercial "bakers pad" and we've now got 2 of them. One of them got so badlly scorched that I'm looking to replace it. But I don't use the decorative ones...do you?

Since I'm in "replacement mode" with both items, I'm curious what all the rest of you do?

TIA --

Judi

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I made up a bunch of rags to replace using paper towels. I used old towels to make them. Have found they come in great as a replacement to kitchen towels, pot holders, and hot plates. Years ago I was given really nice kitchen towels by a neighbor. They are still in great condition. So if company is coming over I will pull one out. I also have a large collection of cloth napkins. They also come in handy in replace of a kitchen towel.

If I ever buy kitchen towels I will be sure to save up and buy really good ones since the ones I have are atleast 15 years old and still look brand new.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Same here, the quality ones I have are about 20 yrs old. They are only now wearing thin, and we use them a lot, because we don't have a dishwasher ('-yet' dh would add).

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Probably less often than I should. I have some pot holders that are all getting grungy after 5-10 years of use. I wash them but it doesn't seem to get the stains out. Same with the towels. And I have trouble finding them in colors I like. DH uses the towels on the floor and counters. I use sponges, which I buy every couple of months.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
It's agreed that the cheap ones are not worth it. Same for bath towels. Ours were 11 yrs old when I replaced them just this year. Truth be told they didn't really need to be replaced I just got sick of looking at them.

·
4,028 Posts
I get new hot mitts... when someone gives them to me! lol. I did purchase some cheap washclothes to use as "napkins" as my old ones got relegated to "cleaning status."

We gave lots of dish towels right now so we don't replace them very often.

·
19,119 Posts
I collect and use linen dish towels from places we visit and also receive the same as gifts. We have a lot of dishtowels - I'm using some that were my mother's so they are over 60 years old - the colors are still strong!!

Potholders I make or buy at craft sales when I see colors or styles that I like - and I love seasonal kitchen linens.

We use cloth napkins and I make seasonal ones too.

I use my older kitchen towels, etc in our preschool kitchen - since they are changed at least daily, they get a lot of use.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have found a good quality dish cloth at of all places our drug store and I love them. They are 3 for $5.00 but they are good ones. I've bought 2 bunches and haven't had to buy any since. I have received others for gifts. My sis tends to give me dishcloths, towels, and bath towels as gifts so I actually have a stock up of those.

When the towels, washcloths, etc get raggedy they become cleaning rags. I have a pan under the sink with some in them and a little basket downstairs in the laundry room with some in it so they are always convenient when one is needed.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
We go thru a lot of them and they have a simply horrible life.lol. I get new potholders at garge sales and finally figured out if they have xmas theme their cheap.
Recently I scored big at Kroger 75% off on terry bar towels (2pk.-1 small/1 med in white) .34/2. I grabbed about 2 dozen before the pigs got em'.lol I regret not getting more.

·
2,688 Posts
I buy at the dollar store when and if I have to. I don't like the quality but the price is right. Usually my dish cloths for hand washing.
My best finds come from garage / moving / estate sales. I recently picked up 2 dark blue full size bath towels. NEW. For 50 cents each. She had other linens too but nothing that got my attention.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've got a varitatoin of this set : Kitchen Smart Anti Bacterial Kitchen Linens.

We got it in 2007. Other than a couple of the hems coming unraveled, I've had no problems. They hold up quite well and I like that it all coordinates.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I buy new potholders, towels, and dishcloths yearly. I look for sales.I go through them quickly, I change the towels and cloths daily. I pick up bathtowels a couple of times a year . My sheets last forever- I buy quality and they last and last.I give my older things to our housekeeper,the animal shelter, or take them to the church . I can also put a few in the kitchenette at the office, so I feel that they have a long and useful life.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I don't think I have ever bought a potholder in my life. They all have been given to me. Dish clothes/kitchen towels pretty much come from the Dollar store or were gifts. I don't go to cheap on bathroom towels so I don't replace them to often.

Anything old gets turned into cleaning rags.

·
27,948 Posts
I haven't bought any kitchen textiles in ages. I still have the potholders dd made me on her little plastic loom, and she's 25. :D

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I must be way harder than you all on kitchen towels as I need new ones every few years or so. Hard to tell actually as they seem to be a cycle not wearing out at the same time. I do wash them in ultra hot water (sanitary cycle 140 degrees) to kill all bacteria and such and I was every other day. I also use the dishtowels for everything washing dishes, hands, mopping the floor (I attach it to my swiffer and mop away) and other cleaning. they really get used hard.

Oldest towel I have right now are 10 years old and are cheap ones called bar mops. I replaced them just recently with new bar mops. I think they were 5 for $3 maybe.

I haven't found the more expensive ones I was given to last any longer than the others.

The other working linens we don't buy often at all.
as for oven mitts I was given a set of really nice pamper chef ones and I just use those.

hot pads we use the silicone ones that can be washed in the dishwasher we have some other kind from wedding presents that we keep on hand but haven't really used.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I got lucky here there's a shop in town that sells good towels for $1 each and they are a good size & pretty colors also. Living with 4 guys they don't take care of them either so they get stained!!! uggg. Glad I don't pay much for them! I get mine new every spring

·
27,948 Posts
Oh... Many of my towels are stained, but they are clean stains, lol. :thumb:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I haven't bought any in ages! I usually get them as gifts and that is just fine with me as everyone knows what color my kitchen is. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.