Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
When I was teaching and kids were at home, I only did laundry on Saturdays. I just was too busy the rest of the week. And it took all day!

Now that it's just the two of us and we are retired, I do two loads a week. Go figure..........

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I do laundry throughout the weekend. It works for us because dh has a limited number of undershirts that he wears under his work shirts. This way, they are all done over the weekend & ready for the work week. I fold it all on Tuesday night while watching The Biggest Loser.

Although this week, I have less to fold because dh got a head start on it last night :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Two adults here, and we do laundry on a regular schedule. We have a drying room in a small, unfinished, room in the basement complete with 8 lines, a clothes rod on one wall, and a couple drying racks. I rarely use the clothes dryer. When weather permits, I hang clothes outside.

All clothing that normally hangs on a hanger gets placed on a wooden or plastic Tide hanger to dry and are put on the rod to dry. This frees-up space on the line; and they go from the basement to the closet. If you haven't tried the plastic TIDE Smart Dry Hangers for air-drying heavier sweaters and tops, you'd LOVE them. No more "bunny ears" on the shoulders of garments hung to dry using a TIDE hanger.
http://www.amazinghomeproducts.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=254&Category_ID=23

I got mine at Target, but I've seen them at Wal-Mart.

We have a ceiling fan in the room to aid air movement and drying.

Schedule...
Saturday Morning: one load - bed sheets, 2 bath towels and 1 bath mat (we use one bath towel each for the week). This load is hung outdoors, when weather permits. If dried indoors, it's dry before we do laundry Saturday night.

Saturday Night: 2 or 3 loads We do laundry while we watch TV or watch a movie. They are taken down sometime Sunday.

Tuesday Night: 3 loads Taken down Wednesday.

We have a wall-mounted accordian drying rack in the laundry room. This is where we put wet washcloths, damp handtowels, dishcloths and dishrags to dry before they are tossed in the basket. Pre-drying prevents mold or smelly towels and we can wait until we have a full load before washing them.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Every single second of every single day.

Okay, perhaps that is a slight exaggeration, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

In all honesty, I do my laundry on the weekends, when I'm home from work. I get about 6 or 7 loads done per weekend.

Have I mentioned how much I hate laundry?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I wash by hand, so in the winter I have issues too. I can only do a small load at a time so it fits on the drying rack. It's cool enough in the house it takes a couple days to dry, so I have to hang everything up and start a new load right away.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I average doing laundry about twice a week and usually end up with about 2 loads of darks, & 2 loads of whites.
(This is for mine & hubby's only)

My two teenagers do their own laundry, so 15 ds. does about 1 load per week & 14 dd. does about 2 loads per week.
They each have a designated 'laundry day' on their chore charts and I just do ours on any of their inbetween days.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have no schedule. I have 3 baskets-1 for darks/jeans, 1 for towels,cloths,etc, 1 for whites. When the baskets get full I do a load. I just brought up 3 loads and hung up 1. I have 4 freestanding dryer racks and a clothesline of about 12'. I agree with another post about how to hang your jeans. I do the same. I've never heard of Tide hangers..but will check it out. Come warmer weather my clothes will go outside to dry. :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
I do one load every couple of days, whenever there is a full load. Sheets and towels on Saturday, and towels one other day a week as well. We each have our own color of towels, so they can be used more than once without being rewashed.

If our clothes aren't visibly dirty or smelly we wear them more than once, except undies. I don't buy clothes that require ironing. If my husband's work uniform shirts needs ironing (fortunately not very often), he does them himself. I don't usually separate whites and coloreds unless we have a new item of clothing that I'm not sure if the dye is set or not.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I wash our sheets, towels, washcloths and all kitchen linens daily. I do a couple of loads of clothing weekly, and then send DH's suits, dress slacks ,and shirts to the cleaners weekly.I dislike laundry.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I do laundry once a week @ the laundry mat to wash. I dry everything on drying racks in the house or line dry outside.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I do 3-4 loads per day. Basketball clothes (everyday--yuck), towels, whites, sometimes (not everyday) jeans.

Weekends: tennis/basketball shoes and/or jackets/coats
sheets

DD and the exchange student will not hang up a towel to save their lives! DH, DS, and I hang up our towels for at least 2 and sometimes 3 days.

During the summer I hang laundry outside, but during school I use my dryer waaaaaaaay too much. (But I am very grateful to have it!)

·
Registered
193 Posts
About once a week. As soon as a bin gets full (we separate our laundry -- whites, colors, darks -- in separate bins), I do a load.

·
Registered
956 Posts
During the winter I do laundry about every other day. most of the time it's two loads worth, sometimes only one. During the warmer months (when I hang everything outside), I wash just about every day that the weather is nice, but it adds up to about the same number of loads/week. I tried drying inside on racks during the winter, but it takes our clothes forever to dry (like 48 hours most times) and I have a tiny house where we just can't have that much laundry sitting all over the place constantly, so I give in and use the dryer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A do atleast a load daily....with the majority being dried on the drying rack. I will on occasion throw something in the dryer for just a few minutes to knock the wrinkles out...

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
There's only two of us, and they get done when they need to be. I think DH does his about once a week. I hate doing laundry, so I have a lot of socks and things, so it ends up being about once a month, white and dark loads.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts