Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the winter months, I usually make soup at least twice a week. Everyone loves homemade soup here. It is economical and I can use up leftovers.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I like to make it at least weekly in cold weather. I especially like potato soup. I could eat potato soup all day every day for a very long time, even in warm weather.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
i have never made soup except for vegetable soup. i would love to learn how to make it. i do make chili about 2-3 times a month. i love eating left-over chili. i love potatoes.......so i know i would love potato soup:D yummy yummy!!!!!!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
We have soup night once a week right now.............if we were having our normal weather we would eat soup a few nights a week but we have been very mild this winter so we are still using the bbq and smoker!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm sitting here at work trying to remember what veggies we have so I can start some soup in the morning!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I usually aim for about once a week in the winter. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Now I'm craving some tater soup, so maybe that will be lunch tomorrow!

Cindy :)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
About once a week on average. Dave made homemade chicken soup last night for dinner, and it was delicious :lip:

·
Registered
626 Posts
MY hubby won't eat soup except at lunch about twice a year. He will eat stew and chili so I make that often.

·
Registered
916 Posts
My dh cries if I make soup, too. I maybe make soup once or twice a year. He likes chili, though, as long as it's thick like a casserole and I make that in the cold weather about 2x a month.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Dh usually makes his special vegetable soup (in a big Nesco so we freeze much of it) about once a month.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I make leek and potato soup every other week, DH isnt to fond of veggie soup. I made brussel sprout and chestnut soup a few weeks ago and that was yummy ( i didnt tell anyone it was brussel sprouts until after they ate it LOL)

mermaid - here is the recipe I use - I dont really measure anything though - just chuck it all together

chop an onion finely and a couple of leeks and saute in a small bit of butter.
add water and a vege stock cube and then add chopped potatoes ( I suppose I use about6-8 medium sized ones). season to taste

boil until potatoes are soft and starting to fall apart.

drain off water ( if you like soupls thick then drain alot - if you like them thin then dont drain as much:) )

blend soup ( i use a little hand held blender whisk), I always add a good measure of cream and stir it in and then serve while piping hot). Its very filling

hope that made sense - its hard to remember the recipe when its just in your head and not written down:)

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
In the colder months, once a week at least. When it's warmer, usually not at all. We aren't fond of cold soups and no one wants to eat hot soups when it's hot out.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I make soup once a week or more during the winter. During the summer I make soup on a Sunday so we have something to look forward to after the rugby.

I think I'll try leek and potato soup next week. I made butternut squash and chilli soup on Tuesday night and it was delicious. I guess I must be lucky as DH loves soup and eats any leftovers for lunch too! :)

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Never. I have never and probably will never make soup. No one likes soup here, except for me. So, it's not something I need to make.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts