Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you keep them forever or throw them out and replace them at regular intervals?

Apparently a lot of dust mites and bacteria could accumulate inside your pillow. My kids have been sick a lot this past year and my youngest appears to be asthmatic (genetically inclined), so I've replaced their pillows and wrapped up their mattresses in allergen blocking covers. No idea if it will help, but figured it couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
forever. i have a love affair with my pillow. not sure how long we've been together but i know that we have many more years to go

Reactions: monkeywrangler71

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I usually buy inexpensive pillows about every one or two years. I went a little crazy one year with the whole pillows on the bed thing so have a little "stockpile" going on now. But with the cat on the bed sleeping next to my head all the time I doubt any change or washing of the pillows will help me.

I probably should get a mattress cover. Are they noisy to sleep on?

One thing that definately has helped me is using the neti pot. I started in late summer. I can't believe how it has helped me. Especially when I was having awful colds.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I wash all of the pillows every couple of weeks or so and replace them as needed. Sometimes every six months, sometimes a little sooner and then other times a little longer. It just varies.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I keep my pillows until I can no longer punch the impression of my head out of them. :) I seem to have a hard time finding a pillow I like, so once I get one, I keep it around. When they finally don't have any fluff left in them, they become truck pillows for the dogs, until someone guts them, at which point I finally put them out of their misery.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
We have Martha Stewart pillows from Macy's that I adore. I was and dry them every few months and they come out great.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I wash mine and dry them with clean tennis shoes every few weeks so I keep them longer than the recommended time.

I feel confident in my procedure ever since we had a Kirby salesman come in and try to tell me that people's pillows are filthy. He had one of the kids grab one and he got nothing (and they were due for a cleaning at that time).

·
Registered
672 Posts
I used to be one of those pillow obsessed people. I had a pillow when I was younger that I had for years and finally the washer ate it. My mother had made it and i think that's what made it extra special. I never knew what was inside til the washer mangled it. When it came out it had foam, pieces of clothes (Tshirts I assumed) and bits of what i guess was filling. My boyfriend bought all new pillows when he moved into this APT 2years ago and for christmas this year we both got new ergonomic, hypoallergenic, high density, memory foam pillows. But for two people we do have 6 pillows on the bed and about 12 pillows total in the house.

·
19,119 Posts
We don't change them often enough for sure. Like others here have said - have trouble finding pillows - too many to choose from. Mahalo for the reminder - need to go looking for some soon.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
How do you wash the pillows without the washer mangling them? Is there a secret or do you use the washers without agitators?
I wash them two at a time on "normal" cycle in a regular Whirlpool top loader, then into the dryer. I don't do anything special or fancy and they come out clean, fluffy and fresh smelling.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow - do I feel lame. I have had the same pillows for 6 years, some going on 9 years. And I haven't ever washed them either :/ I guess it is just never one of those things I think to deal with or buy new.

Also - for the lady whose kids have had lots of illness this year - try the NeilMed sinus wash - you can get it at Walgreens. Put a little packet of mix in the bottle with some warm water and squeeze once in each nostril and voila! Easier than a neti. I've been washing my sinuses for years (especially after plane rides, around lots of sick kids, or some other "dirty" situation) and I can't remember the last time I was sick. It keeps things hydrated which is important in the dry winter!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Well around here we probably keep our pillows past their prime but I do wash them about every 3 months or so, in a hot water wash of course. ;)
If any of us have a bout with a cold/flu/sniffles then they will get an extra washing during that time and afterwards as well.
I think I might overreact a little bit when someone comes down sick, but toothbrushes get a good listerine soaking as well...

Usually I toss my pillows though when they get to the "flat" stage and aren't fluffable (is that even a word...lol?) anymore.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.