Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we were tearing down the walls yesterday and doing all our own re-wiring, re-insulating, etc. I was thinking about how self sufficient we've become, especially since we've moved out here.

We've always done much of our own work, but living out here in an old home, we've learnt how to do so much more. It feels good to be able to do the work ourselves. The cost for our living room will be under $500. Dh has the wiring left over from his shop wiring, we purchased economy studs (which are bad on one side but who sees them) and were doing ALL the work ourselves.

I then started thinking about the homesteaders at the village and wondered, how self sufficient are you and are you at the place where your satisfied or still wanting to achieve more self-sufficiency?

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Same here, I am blessed with a handy husband. We are fixing up our home and the majority of it we are doing ourselves which is so gratifying. Same with vehicles, DH can fix most anything. I wouldn't want to add up over the years what it would have cost us for home/vehicles if we had to hire out.

We are always striving to do more though, I have learned things that 15 years ago I never thought I'd be doing!:D I never thought I would be putting up so much fruit and vegetables for our winter months, doing our own repairwork and renovations.

Mind you we are adding on to our house in the next year or so and that will definitely be contracted out but he is a friend and DH can work along side him when he is home therefore cutting down on the labour.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
We have always been self suffient. I guess that was why it was hard to give up our house. We had done about 3/4th of the work ourselves. We have never been one to hire things done. We have always done all tree work, painting, building, etc ourselves. I really miss that now that we rent. We are so limited in what we can do.
Jeanna

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Well, actually- we're tending to be less self sufficient these days. Dh can't do the things he used to do, the kids are gone most of the time and so on.

I COULD do more things myself, but I have to sleep sometime- lazy, lazy me ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts