·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Sweet I'm almost there!!!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Well,that was upsettingly familiar.

Dad saves cool plastic containers to grow "something in". No one gardens anymore.
My MIL declutters by giving us big boxes of random crap like 1/2 done rug hooking from the 1970's. I whip it out as soon as DH gets home w/ it. (usually smells musty-yum).

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Strings too short to use! LOL!

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I got a laugh when i read the title how to clutter i said i know how.But i enjoyed the post and can relate to two many of them but trying to improve i do throw away more but there is just some things i wan't to hold on to and the funny part is it is things that most people would have no problem tossing.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
That is so my parents house. They save everything, take and buy stuff they don't need, just in case, and more stuff.

·
Registered
955 Posts
So so true... I remember when my mom cleaned out my grandfather's house after he died. There was a stack of aluminum pie tins taller than her! :) (plus innumerable national geographic magazines and plastic peanut butter jars).

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That was funny....scary though since I can relate to some of them! :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
When we cleaned out my Grandmothers house (many, many years ago), we found 297 unopened bottles of Ketchup. LOL

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
My mother, a child of the depression saved everything. I see a lot of her in myself and I'm trying to change. I feel like that blogger stole my list, though, lol

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When we cleaned out my Grandmothers house (many, many years ago), we found 297 unopened bottles of Ketchup. LOL
WOW!! 297 bottles of ketchup!!!

I think most people can probably see a little of themselves or someone they know in the blog especially those that lived during the depression era. My inlaws did and it was unreal some of the things we found in the house. They had old checks from the 1960's, a receipt from their 40 year old freezer, even baby shoe polish still in the box from when my dh was a baby. He's 50 now. I have the box. I even found castor oil with a 19 cent price tag. It still has some in it. I kept it because dh was telling me about how his dad use to force them to take it when they were kids...whether they needed it or not. He felt that a good cleaning out was helpful. LOL

·
Registered
480 Posts
too funny -- I was laughing so hard at strings too short to use, but totally lost it at a comment posted to save all your single socks to match up, then don't and save picture frames you don't like so you can paint them later, then don't...

I saw a little of myself in that blog, but thanks to FV and a couple of Spring and Fall Flings have made progress and can laugh.

Thanks so much for posting this!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts