Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Too many carbs for my lifestyle, not enough protein, but I guess it works in a pinch. And she shopped at Whole Foods before going on a budget!

How to eat on just $3 a day

·
Registered
671 Posts
Three dollars a day seems doable the way I buy food, but maybe not if I had to shop every week with $21.00.
I think I would start out with some chicken, definitely eggs. Would buy veggies instead of cereal,milk and pasta.

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, $21/week is pretty limiting, more so than $42/2 weeks, etc. but when you live paycheck to paycheck you have to work with what you got. When I was her age I had $20 a week to spend on food, and it really didn't go much farther back then. I bought bread, eggs, flour, sugar and milk. I ate more pork, still much cheaper than chicken today, and a lot of rice. I carried apples with me, much sturdier than bananas. And I cooked. She mentions that sauces are expensive... well not so much if you make them from scratch.

Not sure what I would do with $21 today. Maybe beans, rice, and vegetables. Flour for making biscuits, pancakes, and muffins.

·
Registered
671 Posts
When I was in college, I was working two jobs as well. I would make big batches of chili & vegetable soup & freeze in single serve containers. I alternated between the two. Can't really remember what else I ate...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Even in Denmark (one of the most expensive countries in the world), this is about what I spend on food, on average, per month. It helps that I'm a vegetarian. I buy dried beans and legumes in bulk from the middle eastern grocers for dirt cheap, I cook everything from scratch, I shop the special offers, and meal plan around whatever perishables I find marked down.

Tonight's dinner was supposed to be chili (from pantry stock) but when I went to the grocery store this morning I found nice rolls marked down to about $.75 for 6, so I came home and made veggie burgers instead (from almonds, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, oats, carrots, beans, etc. that I had on-hand). The veggie burgers and rolls will be enough for 3 days' dinner for the two of us along with a salad or oven fries.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Even in Denmark (one of the most expensive countries in the world), this is about what I spend on food, on average, per month. It helps that I'm a vegetarian. I buy dried beans and legumes in bulk from the middle eastern grocers for dirt cheap, I cook everything from scratch, I shop the special offers, and meal plan around whatever perishables I find marked down.

Tonight's dinner was supposed to be chili (from pantry stock) but when I went to the grocery store this morning I found nice rolls marked down to about $.75 for 6, so I came home and made veggie burgers instead (from almonds, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, oats, carrots, beans, etc. that I had on-hand). The veggie burgers and rolls will be enough for 3 days' dinner for the two of us along with a salad or oven fries.
Where do you shop? I live live close to your city.

I spend $110 a month on food some years ago and can do it again, if I need to.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Couldn't watch the video ( at work ). Did she have anything in fridge/freezer/pantry to start with or was it starting from zero? That would make a huge difference. Also does the $21 include such as shampoo, detergent etc or just food?
On the protein end.. don't forget peanut butter is the same protein as meat and counts as such. That's coming from a doctor. One big jar .. one time.. would last a long time and leave the protein budget for other things. I think I could do it if it were just me. I think. I'd rather not have to of course.
To start off I'd do the peanut butter
carton of oats
bread
potatoes
bag of rice
can of one veggie
apples if able to get in the $21
then take it from there. Other than bread those would last longer than a week. Then I could ( I think ) slowly build from there

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Where do you shop? I live live close to your city.

I spend $110 a month on food some years ago and can do it again, if I need to.
For the part you bolded, I shop at Bazaar Vest. There's a bit of variation in prices between some of the different vendors, so I first make a note of the prices of the items I'm going to buy, then I go around buy each item from the vendor with the lowest price. For example, there's a 5kr. difference on 900g of red lentils from one vendor to another. I go about twice a year and stock up.

Reactions: Tine

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couldn't watch the video ( at work ). Did she have anything in fridge/freezer/pantry to start with or was it starting from zero? That would make a huge difference. Also does the $21 include such as shampoo, detergent etc or just food?
Sorry, there was an article attached to that video, a whole page of text with the story. I don't know what happened to it.

She says she starts from zero each week, but they showed a cupboard that had olive oil and a few other things including soy sauce, beef broth and sriracha, there was a beer on the counter while she was cooking pasta, and her fridge had chicken broth and a bunch of condiments like ketchup and mustard. So, not entirely zero, really.

She has another $20 for toiletries, and another $20 for other stuff.

There are more videos, but I can't play sound right now, so I don't know what's in them other than it's some sort of video blog. They are here, in reverse order, newest at the top. Cash Diet

And her final video:
What happened when I started using a credit card after my cash diet

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Sorry, there was an article attached to that video, a whole page of text with the story. I don't know what happened to it.

She says she starts from zero each week, but they showed a cupboard that had olive oil and a few other things including soy sauce, beef broth and sriracha, there was a beer on the counter while she was cooking pasta, and her fridge had chicken broth and a bunch of condiments like ketchup and mustard. So, not entirely zero, really.

She has another $20 for toiletries, and another $20 for other stuff.

There are more videos, but I can't play sound right now, so I don't know what's in them other than it's some sort of video blog. They are here, in reverse order, newest at the top. Cash Diet

And her final video:
What happened when I started using a credit card after my cash diet
Ah... ok. I have sound at work but little to no sound at home. So she actually has $60 a week all told. I can't imagine spending $20 a week on taxables ( TP etc ). Wish I could have watched this one. If I only had $20 a week I sure wouldn't spend it on beer.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
She has a couple of videos up....I watched two and it was enough.....nothing impressive....I'm with NikoSan....how can she afford beer.....I don't think it was a true video......just my two cents worth....

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
In today's time, it is doable but the costs of stuff rising I say go to your local grocery closeout stores. I usually buy rice, beans and of course chicken and veggies for my marinade (sofrito) and that lasts more than a week. The meal itself, I always make a large batch so close to 3-4 days for lunch and dinners, eating proportionately.

I can see having maybe a salad with eggs or shoot just egg salad sandwiches, for a few days and pasta is another cheap meal. Even if you add in ground beef and make a large pot or crockpot it, you could have a few days worth of meals as well. So, yes $21 a week on food, in my opinion, is doable for me.

·
Super Moderator
19,577 Posts
I don't know about that, and I don't want to find out. We haven't had a grocery budget since 1977 and would rather not go back to one!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I think it also depends are where you live. I am thinking this may be based on someone living in a low cost of living place. I may spend more than $3 a day of fresh vegetables....

I used to get by on a very low grocery budget, but we had very little in the way of fresh fruit and vegetables. We did not go hungry. And we had some tasty meals. But it was way below the recommended daily fruits and veggie.

A carb and protein is not a complete meal. You need fruits and vegetables too.

·
Registered
671 Posts
This topic continues to intrigue me. Our church is constantly helping people with food. Apparently many in the community are food insecure. We do food drives for the food pantry, contribute to a weekend back pack program, and sponsor an after school program that provides snacks. Plus I have heard that almost all the kids in school receive both breakfast and lunch at school. There is a summer lunch program. This week we were asked to contribute to Thanksgiving food boxes. I am all about helping, but there comes a time when I want to say, hey let me help you learn to shop & cook & you won't have to keep asking for handouts.

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it also depends are where you live. I am thinking this may be based on someone living in a low cost of living place. I may spend more than $3 a day of fresh vegetables....

I used to get by on a very low grocery budget, but we had very little in the way of fresh fruit and vegetables. We did not go hungry. And we had some tasty meals. But it was way below the recommended daily fruits and veggie.

A carb and protein is not a complete meal. You need fruits and vegetables too.
This was kind of my point when I brought it up. The girl in the video is eating cereal for breakfast, and pasta for lunch and dinner. Not healthy in the long run, but a lot of people do eat this way every day, I see it in their shopping baskets every week. But this kid has a plan, I believe it was for 6 weeks, to save money for a trip she wanted to take. So it's a good example of how to squeeze your food budget for a short time. In the video she also talks about sitting in the cafe with friends, drinking water while they all have fancy coffee drinks. She sticks to her budget and achieves her goal.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I really avoid buying fruit since the per pound cost is so high. Apples and pears in season in the fall are what I mostly stick to, hubby only eats bananas. Lots of vegetables are reasonably priced and affordable. So fruit is really a treat. Carrots, potatoes, onions and vegetables from the garden are all low cost. Even frozen vegetables very are affordable when $1/1 lb bag on sale. I love the pumpkins on sale for 59 cents/lb now. I cook and use the cheap ones from the stores although most people buy them for decoration only. I have also scavenged sound (uncut, not soft) pumpkins from the trash and done a happy dance afterwards.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I look at the "eat for $3.00 a day" as an exercise in awareness. It makes me think of what I do and question what I could do if I had to. I am in a decent place now & don't have to limit my grocery expense so severely, but I really don't spend much. I would love to help even one family understand that they can plan better & end up eating better & reduce their spending. No one should go without eating or feeding their kids. A little education would go a long way. I don't know if the folks in our community who are struggling really want to do anything differently...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts