Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a LOT of little jobs around my house that I just can't do myself - things like fixing the stucco etc... things I can do or figure out I do - but I would LOVE to know how to find a good handyman? What types of questions do you ask? What would be a reasonable rate? Etc Etc?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I start by calling around and setting up 3 appts for an estimate on the work that needs to be done. Then you have something to compare. Do they return calls promptly? Do they show up on time? Do they seem eager for the job? Do they seem competant? Professional? Do they warranty? Are they insured? You can ask how long they've been doing this kind of work, and are they certified. And of course, you can compare prices.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maybe try Angie's List? I know my parents use it for servicepeople reviews - they got a great deal on a new roof installed by a very professional crew.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe try Angie's List? I know my parents use it for servicepeople reviews - they got a great deal on a new roof installed by a very professional crew.

Don't they charge

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
S What would be a reasonable rate? Etc Etc?
For the rate, I would ask neighbors, or others in your area. That will vary by area.

If you want one that is licensed, ask for the number, and check it out. Your state agency can tell you if the number is "legit.", and if they are up to date on fees.

DON'T assume, just because they 'rattle' off some number......that they have one.......even on our CL, they will post some sort of number that isn't anywhere CLOSE to a license.......but it looks good for the people that don't know.

Our BBB --online---will let you know if there has been any problem....but you won't know what sort of problem......and will also say if it was cleared up or if the "file" is still open.

I tried Angie's.......before you had to register----and found ZIP for my area. Went to it a few weeks ago and now you have to register........don't know if there is a cost, as I did nothing.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Angie's List
Monthly $2.75Save %
1 year $25.00Save 34%
2 years $41.00Save 42%
3 years $56.00Save 46%
4 years $69.00Save 50%

1 - 6 of 6 Posts