Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 19 year old car...and the smell of cigarette smoke is coming back STRONG. Must have been covered with something when I test drove it. It's too cold and rainy to leave the windows open for days on end, which will eventually help. I've got dryer sheets in it and will put baking soda in it as soon as I get some more. The dealer had it detailed. But, the smell is soaking into my gymbag and the clothes INSIDE the gym bag!

Maybe large amounts of febreeze? I haven't had that work in the past but maybe it's better now. haven't used it in years.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes! Great Idea! I can get coffee grounds here. Most of the offices switched to those keurig type machines (I have a personal bugaboo with all the plastic waste so am using a refillable cup in ours to make the old grounds into awful coffee...when I run out I will use my good coffee in the little refillable brew cup thingy). Anyway, that means most offices have an orphan can of old grounds.

I'll put the can in there tonight.
I just dried my hair with a t-shirt this mornign because my towel (I shower at the gym) stunk so much of smoke that I didn't want it to infuse my hair. Oh well. As Rosanne Rosannadanna used to say...it's always something. If it's not one thing, it's another. I was SO glad to get a shower and get warm and wash my hair and have a car that runs. This is just a little something to deal with

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's coming along! I have the dryer sheets in there still and any time it is "warm" out (like over 45 degs) I crank up the heat full blast and open as many windows as I can stand while I drive around.

I put out fresh dryer sheets (surprised how many are in the little box the laudromat lady gave me!) whenever I stop smelling them. At first it smells like someone smoked in my laundry.

I found a little storage bin that is under the passenger seat (I didn't research all the features of the car...just said "I have that money and this is AWD so...done and done). I think if I put baking soda and maybe charcoal in there, it will help and won't spill all over the place. The little car has a TON Of random storage spots. THat's a nice surprise. Only 1 crappy cup holder though or I'd have a cup of coffee grounds in there all the time too. I'll figure that out eventually. Probably after the stank is gone.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
well I was messy and just put a open bag of old ground coffee that we didn't like. lives under the floor mat messy but then don't care cus kids in car have made it dirty for years ..and the coffee keeps the musty smell at bay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is best to do a chemical cleaning of the interior and then maintain cleanliness with the help of special tools. My wife and I bought a house from a man who had been smoking right in the house for ten years, which made the smell of cigarettes simply unbearable. We didn't know what to do, except for a special dry cleaning by professionals. After removing the primary pollution, my wife used extraordinary means to block the smell and bring out the end. I can advise you Smoke Neutralizer Spray, as this is precisely the remedy we used to get rid of the smell of nicotine, and it really helps. Good luck with this problem

·
Registered
29 Posts
Back in my 20s, I had some friends who bought a hearse. They had a couple of open cans of ground coffee and some dishes of sliced apples in the back. They also said that when they first got it, they had a dish of charcoal briquettes in the back too and that helped a lot.

Personally, I've found that containers of ground coffee are great for taking care of the smell of vomit in the car. I had a child get very car sick while driving along a mountain side and I didn't think anything would get out that smell!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to know coffee grounds get barf stank out!! I passed up the cars that stunk of barf. I left windows open all summer and kept baking soda all over. It helped. We'll see now that winter is setting in if the air ducts are still smoky.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts