Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i am sure this is a dumb question, but i know nothing about quilting. how could i get started in quilting? what would you recommend for a newbie? no one in my family quilts... *sigh*

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I'm mostly self taught via the internet and books. There are some great sites and tutorials out there.

If you don't want to research or don't have time, many quilt shops offer various classes.

When in doubt, just grab some scrap fabric and start sewing!!!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Take a look at the stickies at the top of this forum. Lots of great tutorials and links to sites that can help.

My mom quilts, but she lives 450 miles away, so I am self-taught. There are lots of quilting books that can help you, but my favorite is this one:

Amazon.com: Quilter's Complete Guide: Marianne Fons, Liz Porter: Books

(if you buy that one, try to get the one with the spiral binding--it's much easier to use while working when it lays flat) :)

I also like this one:

Amazon.com: The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide: From A to Z-- Hundreds of Tips and Techniques for Successful Quiltmaking: Ellen Pahl: Books

You may want to see if you can get those at the library before you buy them.

Also, there are lots of threads in this forum that can help, and we have several quilters who can help too.

HTH! :)

·
8,714 Posts
~If you can hand sew a straight stitch, you can quilt! A wonderful lady started me out when I was 16 with a small square of pre-printed quilt block. The idea was to get used to the 'feel' of quilting and then finish it into a potholder. When I was ready to start a real quilt I bought a book called "Your First Quilt Book(or it should be!)" and made a baby quilt from one of its patterns. The directions were easy and the quilt came out perfect!~

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Holy Guacamole - Constance, do you hand quilt? I didn't know that! I have never sewn anything by hand - I've done finishing work (pillows, binding, etc...) but I've never sewn an entire project by hand. I wouldn't even know where to start! :)

Ok sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Seriously, quilting isn't 'as hard or as intimidating as a lot of people seem to think it is. You can always ask questions here, too! ;)

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i agree! handquilting! wow i bow down to you.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I do more than mend a sock by hand and I want to cry... patience of a saint that one!

Quilting can be fun... as long as you have fun doing it... when it stops being fun.. but it down, get a drink, peep a bird and then go back to it.

I stared by 'fixing' a quilt that had seen better days... then I made one for a doll...

I think the tutorials on here are awesome. I haven't read any books on quilting... thanks to this site!

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
~Ha-ha! Yes, I hand-quilt. It's not at all difficult, just time consuming. But there's just something magical about seeing all those hand-quilted stitches.~

·
Registered
333 Posts
When I wanted to learn how to quilt, I went to the library. I would get a basic pattern, something like a 4 patch or split rail fence pattern. All these are easy. Even for beginners. I'm sure there is good help on here but when I was learning, no computers then, I needed to be able to see what was being done. I liked the book method. I was able to see the pics and read the directions over and over. It's not hard at all, I love to do it. Right now I'm working on a grandmothers flower garden. It's all going to be done by hand. I may have it done by the time my 3 yr. old grandson graduates.haha. Relax and enjoy it. Ask some friends they may know how to quilt or point you to someone who does. Gail

·
Registered
948 Posts
haha! sorry not to hijack thread but when referring to quilting, that is HAND quilting.

my grandmother would just die if anyone around her referred to machine quilting as quilting.

and yes, i hand quilt. its not that hard. its just more time consuming, but filled with so much more love.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I taught myself just by reading the instructions on the internet. I then got a Singer How To Quilt book at Walmart and there was no stopping me, lol. After all these years I still check out books at the library to get hints and tips and free patterns.

I agree with the others that if you follow the instructions and steps in the Quilting Tutorial here at FV you will be able to complete your first quilt plus be able to go on to new patterns from the knowledge that you learn here. :hurray:

I machine piece my quilts and hand quilt them. I'm too impatient to hand piece the pattern and my fingers go to sleep if I try to sew anything by hand for too long but I absolutely love to hand quilt as it is very relaxing to me and I always feel like I've made a work of art. My fingers still fall asleep but I just stop till the feeling comes back, lol. I tied my very first quilt with yarn and another with embroidery thread but didn't find it nearly as satisfying as making all of those tiny stitches. :grwave:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
haha! sorry not to hijack thread but when referring to quilting, that is HAND quilting.

my grandmother would just die if anyone around her referred to machine quilting as quilting.

and yes, i hand quilt. its not that hard. its just more time consuming, but filled with so much more love.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this. I use a different method to quilt, doesn't mean mine have any less love in them.

Reactions: Michelle

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I'm sorry, but I disagree with this. I use a different method to quilt, doesn't mean mine have any less love in them.
Well said :clap:

bolding mine:

quilting: the process of making a Quilt from beginning to end. Or the actual act of sewing the layers of a quilt together, either by hand or by machine. Also refers to the finished lines of sewn thread that make up the quilting design.

http://www.bluemoonwebdesign.com/art-glossary-3.asp

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
okay, i am sure this is a dumb question, but i know nothing about quilting. how could i get started in quilting? what would you recommend for a newbie? no one in my family quilts... *sigh*
This is a great site with beginner information & directions for a small sampler quilt:

http://www.sewaquilt.com/index.html

·
Registered
323 Posts
Please let's not start the "it's not a quilt if..." argument here. I've seen it get really ugly very quick on quilting forums.

As for learning how to quilt I have a few ideas. I too am self taught, but I learned the hard way that you should start out with something small and simple. Single blocks make nice potholders. Placemats and table runners also make nice beginning projects and you have something nice for your home when you are finished.

I would also start out piecing simple shapes -- squares or rectangles are good to start with. Easy beginners blocks are 9-patch (squares) or rail fence (rectangles). Curves, circles and paper piecing are things I think are better left till later. If you start out with something too difficult you may get discouraged before you really get started. And we don't want that.

If there is a quilt guild in your area you might check it out. Membership dues are usually very nominal. Around here it's $25/yr. Some guilds offer beginners classes, but even if they don't there should be someone who could help you out if you get in trouble with a project.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the links! you know, a local library has a quilting group. the time doesn't work well for me though. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts