Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Soap scum? I don't think it's worse than the other stuff.
I use scrubbing bubbles spray and that takes care of it.
However, I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to the bubbles stuff.
I had a lot of good coupons and it was on sale at one time
so I got a lot of it dirt cheap, but now it's too expensive. If someone has a good idea on how to cut cost in that area.I appreciate any good ideas. Vinegar works good in the dishwasher but in the shower the smell kills me. Sooo, any good ideas?

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
How is the homemade liquid doing as far as soap scum? That's the only reason I buy liquid soap anymore. The bar soap always left "scum" on the shower curtain and around the tub.
~I haven't noticed any change from Bath & Body Works shower gel to my Olay body wash from bars. :thumb:~

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I use scrubbing bubbles spray and that takes care of it.
However, I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to the bubbles stuff.
I had a lot of good coupons and it was on sale at one time
so I got a lot of it dirt cheap, but now it's too expensive. If someone has a good idea on how to cut cost in that area.I appreciate any good ideas.
~I use Dutch cleanser in my tub/shower. It's a powder. It's sold at most dollar stores. The Dollar Tree often has it 2/$1. It works great and lasts a long time.~

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh awesome thanks for sharing your recipe!
I can't wait to try it out. I prefer liquid body wash to bar soap, but I always seem to go through it so quickly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If we want scent I add a little bit of shampoo or some dish detergent. Love the apple mango tango from Gain. Got a zillions bottles for free when there were good coupons.Most of the hotel soap stuff has a nice scent already.
Really? Hmmm not sure if I would wash my body with dish detergent. You don't find that harsh on your skin?

·
Registered
19 Posts
This looks like such a great idea! I'm pretty anti-bar soap because it is always such a hassle in the shower and always ends up going a bit goopy/melty, which makes me feel like a lot of its going to waste. Can't wait to try this method out!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for the idea. I might have to give this a try. I prefer the liquid over the bar soap anyday. It seems like bars just to messy and lose alot in the end.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently to went in search of making homemade liquid hand soap I just grate a soap sliver that was glycerin soap that was just laying around more like we where chasing it around the tub.. I had 2 empty soap bottles and I filled them up with water and the poured that into the pot over high heat until boiling then I added the soap slivers then let is cool for 2 hours I then poured into the empty containers let sit over night and it was VERY THICK the next day so next time I will add more water....( I have a whole drawer full of travel soaps) I currently use it in the Kitchen at the sink for hand washing I did this May 31 and still have 1 bottle full and the other over half ( to the half bottle I added some more water when it got low just perfect...Plus it was FREE!!!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Excellent project! I have lots of Ivory soap bars that I got on sale - plan to try this SOON!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I made some yesterday with suave shampoo and epsom salt and used it this morning worked great!!!!

Reactions: Debbie-cat

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm going to try this with Zest. I'm going to cut the bar up instead of grating. The grating probably gets it melted down faster but I'm a little lazy :p

I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes.

Great thread! :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
ivory bar soap didnt work for me either...

i tried and it didnt work....the ivory grated stuff did not dissolve.....it became very soft and i tried to blend it but it still did not work....bummer as i have lots and lots of ivory soap bars.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ivory soap has no moisturizers so it won't feel the same as regular body wash will. Using a bar with shea butter as the original poster did will get you a better consistency.

I did a very similar thing using Softsoap bars to make liquid hand wash. You add a lot more water. I felt it didn't last enough through the shower to use as a body wash so I'll have to make a body wash batch. I just used larger bottles to keep the refill and added to the regular bottles as needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried this today with a bar of Pure & Natural and a couple hotel bars I had. I started grating but found it took way too long and made me sneeze...a lot. With half a bar left, I put it in a gallon zip-top bag and took the flat side of my meat tenderizer to it. 10 seconds later I had soap powder, no mess! The soap melted down nicely but there were some clumps, so I strained them out. I did add a bit of hair conditioner to it for scent and moisturizier. Hopefully it will work as good as I hope!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Easier soap grating

I find it easier to grate soap by hand if i warm the soap in my microwave about ten seconds or so. Also i now have a food processor so i warm the soap, shred it in processor, then put it back into processor and it makes it very small. I make powdered laundry soap with it, but i like the body soap idea.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts