Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to make Organic Greek Yogurt in the Crockpot

Recipe Description
For a healthy organic yogurt that will save you hundreds a yr. , it can be as simple as starting your Crockpot. I have been making it this way for years and save tons. After making the first time you can save your yogurt as starter for your next batch. After a couple of batches get fresh starter as it will need to be replenished. There are many other methods I find this to be the easiest, failsafe, and cost effective method to save time and money. Enjoy your priobotic filled yogurt and savings. I make fruit filling for mine, use it to top and make homemade granola parfaits, use in recipes and my family loves it. I hope yours does too.​
Preparation Steps:
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
1/2 Gallon organic Milk
1/3 cup of dried milk ( optional but will make your yogurt thicker like commercial and perfect for Greek Yogurt )
2 cups Fresh yogurt cultures ( best from Organic , no preservatives or additives) I use Stonyfield Oikos and make Greek yogurt​
Serves:
Directions:
Crock Pot Yogurt

Recipe notes: This recipe uses a 6 quart crock pot but any size will be ok.

* Turn your crock pot to low and pour in 1/2 gallon of milk.

* add 1/3 cup of dried milk ( optional but needed if you want thick or Greek Yogurt )

* Heat on low for 2 hours and 30 minutes.

* Once 2 hours and 30 minutes have elapsed turn your crock pot off and unplug it. Let the milk cool in the crock with the lid on for 3 hours.

* After 3 hours remove 1-2 cups of the warmed milk and place in a bowl. To that add 1-2 cups of yogurt with live active cultures and mix very well. ( Note Stonyfields is best I use Oikos by Stonyfied, two cups to make Greek yogurt)

* Pour the yogurt-milk mixture back into the milk and whisk thoroughly.( use a wooden spoon that is fresh from the dishwasher you want no contaminates or bad bacteria in your yogurt)

* Place the cover back on the crock and wrap the entire crock pot in a thick bath towel or two.

* Let it culture overnight, 8-12 hours.

* In the morning stir yogurt (if desired) and store in glass quart jars or a container of your choice.

* For optimum texture, refrigerate for at least 8 hours before using.​

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add, in the morning you need to take the whey off the yogurt. I use a turkey baster....lol Save the whey and you can use that for fermented foods , soaking grains or brown rice etc.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i do mine very similar. I can link a blog reference (to my own blog with the recipe) if anyone is interested. It's not organic, but we like it.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do mine very similar. I can link a blog reference (to my own blog with the recipe) if anyone is interested. It's not organic, but we like it.

Hey Missy! You are right for those who don't want to use Organic you can just use regular milk and starter. I would love to see your blog! Have a great week.

·
19,119 Posts
Yup - I'm interested in seeing your recipe too Missy!!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you-I just printed this! I am looking for these type of recipes-more self-sufficient and "old-style', if you know what I mean.
You can always use 1/2 cup -up to 2 cups starter depending on how thick you like it. My family loves Greek and thick so this is perfect for that. I hope you like. We make into smoothies in the summer, in recipes and make fruit toppings with fresh or frozen berries sometimes with honey cooking it down then adding to the yogurt and it is just like the commercial but cheaper and healthier.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Maui and Happy, I sent you both pm's. I have to use gelatin in mine because of my altitude. But you can skip that in the yogurt if you like. :)

Reactions: HappyMama

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
HappyMama,

You're a sweetie for posting this. One of our constant expenses is for Yoplait Original, although I do coupon for them.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HappyMama,

You're a sweetie for posting this. One of our constant expenses is for Yoplait Original, although I do coupon for them.

Thank you again!

Thank you Ramona! I hope you love it, we save so much per year with no preservatives.:)

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Can you tell me approximately how much this yields, just so I can do a cost comparison?

My kids won't eat plain yogurt, I was wondering if anyone knew how to flavour and sweeten. Can I use honey as a sweetener, and if so how much would I add and when? I would flavour with blueberries, since that is their favourite, but it would be too sour for them without something sweet.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We have been doing this for about a year or so. My guys burn through the yogurt. We do a gallon of milk at a time though. Usually, that "gallon" of yogurt is gone the day after we make it, the joy of teen boys.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you tell me approximately how much this yields, just so I can do a cost comparison?

My kids won't eat plain yogurt, I was wondering if anyone knew how to flavour and sweeten. Can I use honey as a sweetener, and if so how much would I add and when? I would flavour with blueberries, since that is their favourite, but it would be too sour for them without something sweet.
Monkey,

I make fruit on the stove ( frozen berries like blackberries and use honey make it like a raw jam and mix with mine)

My kids sweeten with honey and make parfaits or smoothies.

I usually make plain so I can add the fruit to the containers I want to in the fridge, I do add vanilla at times to some containers ( individual servings).

I have made blackberry flavored, vanilla, cranberry -orange, strawberry etc. The possibilities are endless. It keeps fresher for me making plain, keeping in a glass jar and making my fruit to add to the individual serving cups or containers separate.Plus I want plain to add to smoothies etc as I add the fruit or veggie separate.

*Note: If adding flavorings you would add them after the overnight culturing process. So once it has sat overnight and then chilled 6-8 hours you can stir in some pureed or whole fruit and berries and honey to sweeten if you’d like.

It comes out to about 2 quarts, though I have done a gallon at a time as well.

Reactions: monkeywrangler71

·
Registered
851 Posts
Many thanks for posting this recipe, Happymama.
I've been thinking about making yogurt since my DS recently craving for yogurt, especially 'Greek' yogurt.
Sorry, I have a few questions, since this is new to me. What kind of 'dried milk' should I use? Is 'dried milk' same as 'powdered milk' I can get in the grocery store? Non-fat only?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Many thanks for posting this recipe, Happymama.
I've been thinking about making yogurt since my DS recently craving for yogurt, especially 'Greek' yogurt.
Sorry, I have a few questions, since this is new to me. What kind of 'dried milk' should I use? Is 'dried milk' same as 'powdered milk' I can get in the grocery store? Non-fat only?

Thanks again for your help.
Yes sorry dried milk is the same as powered. I use to get mine from the co-op, now order directly from Bobs mill online. Yes the stores have as well. It will help make your yogurt thicker. You can skip it if you want your yogurt will taste the same but the texture will be more runny then commercial.

Forgot to add don't get Ultra pasteurized or homogenized milk for making the yogurt.

Another thing in the morning you will find a yellowish/greenish watery fluid that is the whey ( normal) just take that off with a turkey baster , spoon or whatever. You can save the whey for other uses, if you want.

Reactions: Vanilla

·
Registered
256 Posts

DS#2 won't touch plain yogurt> EVER! Says it tastes like he's eating a bowl of sour cream LOL! To sweeten his I add a touch of Splenda to his bowl at serving. I also do a quick fresh fruit topping which I also add a touch of Splenda to. Basically in my house I prefer the mine with honey but everyone else prefers theirs sweetened with Splenda so I leave the main batch a unsweetened and we just prep our individual bowls the way we like.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts