Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me, because I need to know.

I feel so mellow lately. I don't feel like cleaning, or cooking, teaching the kids. I have a to do list a mile long and I can't seem to get on it. Today my toddler ran around all day in her pajamas.

I'm not depressed. I'm not stressed. I just feel blah, and not a regular kind of blah. It's a forceful, intrusive blah. I could probably lay down on the floor with my arms out and yell blaaaaaaaaaaah and then continue to lie there for half an hour while doing nothing but trying to imagine faces in the texture of my ceiling. That kind of blah.

My thyroid levels were checked a couple weeks ago and they were fine. I get enough exercise. I think I'm sleeping okay. Is there a recovery time after surgery where you get to have an excuse to feel blah-ish? My surgery was maybe 3 weeks ago.

Any advice, no matter how outlandish or holier-than-thou, is welcome. If you have found some way to get more accomplished in the day or to increase your energy levels, I'd like to hear about.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
well, as odd as it sounds... I started flylady. They have an interactive section that you plan projects to do at the top of the hour (toth) and bottom of the hour (both)... only 15-20 mins at a time, then take a break, and on to the next.

I started doing it Sunday, and I have gotten more done than I have in over a month!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Tell me, because I need to know.

I feel so mellow lately. I don't feel like cleaning, or cooking, teaching the kids. I have a to do list a mile long and I can't seem to get on it. Today my toddler ran around all day in her pajamas.

I'm not depressed. I'm not stressed. I just feel blah, and not a regular kind of blah. It's a forceful, intrusive blah. I could probably lay down on the floor with my arms out and yell blaaaaaaaaaaah and then continue to lie there for half an hour while doing nothing but trying to imagine faces in the texture of my ceiling. That kind of blah.

My thyroid levels were checked a couple weeks ago and they were fine. I get enough exercise. I think I'm sleeping okay. Is there a recovery time after surgery where you get to have an excuse to feel blah-ish? My surgery was maybe 3 weeks ago.

Any advice, no matter how outlandish or holier-than-thou, is welcome. If you have found some way to get more accomplished in the day or to increase your energy levels, I'd like to hear about.
I found this very interesting, scroll down to Anesthesia's Long Term Effects:

Anesthesia and how to prepare for it - Harvard Health Publications

·
Banned
952 Posts
Are the kids going hungry? If not then don't worry about it! You are causing yourself stress by worrying about a toddler in pj's all day. Who cares! Shoot, I'm a full grown woman and there are days that if I'm not going anywhere, I hang out in pj's all day too!

People worry too much about what others think.

The "to-do" list, is the stuff on there going anywhere? I mean, does it have legs and will walk away if you don't do it? It'll be there when you get to it.

I don't know whats on the "list", but you know, maybe you could get the kids to help and it could go towards thier schooling for some subjects.. Home economics, science, biology,mathmatics, chemistry ( tell me cooking and baking is not chemestry!)etc. Running a home is not for the squemish LOL

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have been this way since my kids went back to school. I don't want to do anything but read or watch Tv. It started out as just blah but I think it's time to get a hold of it because it's slipping into more then that. I was very grumpy yesterday. And this morning one of my girls had no short to wear to school today, poor things going to be a bit warm in her jeans at PE.
So today I have set a time limit. I can be in the computer until 830 then I will properly dress and begin the laundry. As the laundry goes Ill start cleaning the living room. Once the living room in habitable again I'll sit down and write myself a to list.

·
4,028 Posts
Yes, anesthesia can be a major factor in the "blahs" up to 3+ months after surgery. Hang in there, it will pass.

Reactions: mh3rdwheel

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Every summer I think I am going to conquer the world and every summer I end up in my pjs for days on end. I will have super productive days or times during the day and complete blah days. Cut yourself a break and trust that it is a cycle that will pass.

Some techniques I use when I really MUST snap out of it, say, having visitors and need to get the house ready:

Crank up the radio LOUD and clean during music, rest during the commercials. Alternate as long as you can without looking at a clock.

Plan a reward for yourself, I do this ALOT. I will throw a pan of brownies or lasagna in the oven and make myself do as much as I can while it's cooking, beat the clock style. Fast and furious and the food, taking a break to eat it, is my reward. Another reward is "I will clean THIS area and then sit down for my favorite tv show." My mom did this all the time, she cleaned all morning then sat down with her coffee to watch Family Feud. It works! She was good at shutting off the tv after that, I am not quite as diligent.

Don't shower until chores are done then shower to run to the store. This helps me when I want to stay in pjs all day. I tell myself I can stay in pjs until X:xx a.m but then have to go to the store.

Hope that helps, in the end it all gets done and if it doesn't who cares as long as you aren't in a dirty, hoarding situation it really doesnt matter.

·
8,714 Posts
~That actually does sound like the after effects of a surgical experience. I know they usually tell patients to watch out for depression afterward. It happened to my MIL.
For what it's worth though, I get the blah's regularly, probably 6-8X a year. I just ride them out. I've spent too much time in the past torturing myself about the deep mental and emotional reasons that must be behind these periods to no avail. Or maybe it was the circumstances or the people in my life. Nope. I think I just wanted answers and that's normal. I don't think there is an answer except "A season to every purpose under heaven".
When you look around and see that no-one and nothing has changed really except how you feel, just chalk it up to a feeling. Feelings don't always need a reason or trigger.
Now I look at the blah's as a call to slow down. And that's what I do. I let everything slide. We eat cereal and take-out for a week. I watch all my favorite movies. I go out by myself, for myself. I treat myself to something. I do something I would never ordinarily do or maybe something I always loved to do before kids. Usually at that point I'm ready to get back to work and I didn't have to beat myself up emotionally to get there.
However if your blah's stretch on and on or you start crying a lot or feel like you need out, please see a Dr! Depression has similar blah periods but just the blah's isn't usually depression. And again, depression isn't something that always has a cause you can trace. Sometimes something in your wiring just jumps off-track and you end up feeling sad all the time. Don't be afraid to get help if you need it.~

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Since you put it this way...

Maybe I'll catch hell for this, but it's my thought, so neh

Get up off your butt and MAKE yourself do something. Make a conscious effort to get yourself out of the funk and go go go. I'm a firm believer in if you do something for 21 days, it becomes a habit. And as you know, habits are hard to break. Right now, I think you're in a habit of lounging around and not feeling like doing anything so you need to break that cycle.
I get into a similar funk or the blahs or whatever you want to call it and it's easier to stay that way than it is to be energetic or stay active. In other words, the more I sit, the more I want to sit!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I feel the same way:/ I was hypo about a year ago, but my levels are normal now. Ive been taking vitamin B12, and I hope it starts working soon. Sometimes I feel I'm depressed, but I'm mostly depressed because I feel so "blah" as well. Either way, I hope you feel better and if you find the magic potion come back and post it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nishu, it's my guess that you are probably just tired. You have little kids and I'm betting you work your a$$ off most of the time. Then, add surgery to the mix and no wonder you feel BLAH! Give yourself time to heal, and if you are not feeling better in a couple of weeks, call the doctor. Until then, enjoy a good rest. You deserve it!:well:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! I had my followup today and the doc said that it probably was due to the surgery and that it might take a little while to feel 100%.

My kids aren't hungry though, and my house isn't trashed or anything so I guess things aren't as bad as they could be. (And I probably do worry too much about what other people think of my housekeeping skills.) I actually have tried the vitamin b stuff and it really didn't seem to help. I'm not sure forcing myself to work is really going to help since I'm already doing that in order to keep us fed and clothed. :laugh:

I might have mentioned this already, but we discovered about the time we moved here that my husband, just like my kids, has some kind of wheat allergy. We're also trying to go completely dairy free to see if it helps with his asthma. His health has improved tremendously the weird symptoms that his doctors have been trying to figure out for years have all improved. I, on the other hand, am getting my a** kicked by the new diets. We can't eat out, ever, and there's really no convenience foods that are safe for my family to eat. Cooking like this is wearing me out, and I think that might be part of the problem. It's not just a lot of work to cook from scratch, but it's also a huge pain just to figure out what to feed us. Hopefully things will get a little easier as I get used to cooking like this. :(

I'm going to get as much done when I feel like it and then give myself a break.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
iron?
b-12?
D?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sounds definitely related to your surgery, not sure what you had done, but I am assuming general anesthesia. I can tell you personally that after a minor office surgery in which I received some IV sedation ( much less than a general anesthetic), I was wiped out for a week. My doctor told me I was a cheap drunk!!!
Everyone's body metabolizes drugs differently.

Get some sunshine and fresh air.
try to do things in spurts as others have suggested.

We all go through periods of low energy. There are times on the weekends when I also have no energy after working all week. I know I have things to do like laundry, cleaning, etc...so I work awhile, then take a break with some caffeine fresh air, then get back to work.
You do have to push through but also know that it could be very much related to anesthesia...
good luck

This is one of the

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Prioritize. What has to be done without fail every singe day? Then take your mile hgh to do list and break it up. Say tomorrow you do your 'must do' plus two items off the list.

As for jammies all day, on weekends, my kids run about in diaper and underpants a lot. It makes it easier for them to put on their super hero costumes. And less dirty laundry for me.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Are the kids going hungry? If not then don't worry about it! You are causing yourself stress by worrying about a toddler in pj's all day. Who cares! Shoot, I'm a full grown woman and there are days that if I'm not going anywhere, I hang out in pj's all day too!
I thought I was the only one that did that...lol!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts