Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching all day how to pay off student loans with debt snowball. I can't seem to find the answer.

I'm a little confused how to approach it.

I have Nelnet Student Loans. The minimum payment is $350 for 10 student loans that makes up the Nelnet for Student Loans. Do I use the minimum payment amount and pay it towards the smallest student loan while ignoring the other student loans that are part of the Nelnet? Or do I pay the minimum payment for 10 student loans and put extra money towards the smallest group loan?

I hope what I'm asking makes sense.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Do I use the minimum payment amount and pay it towards the smallest student loan while ignoring the other student loans that are part of the Nelnet?
No, you have to continually meet the minimum payment for each of the 10 lenders. If you directed the whole payment to one lender the other 9 loans would go into default.
What is your goal - to pay off early? To pay high-interest loans first? To pay small loans first?
You probably have 20 year terms. And have some 6.8% rates. Do any of the 10 loans stick out as 'worse than the others?"
Mainly - identify your goal.

·
Registered
412 Posts
For the snowball, you have to find money in excess of the minimum payments. Those extra funds should be directed to the smallest loan if you use the snowball method, or towards the loan with the highest interests if you use the avalanche method.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The debt snowball taught by Dave Ramsey is you take all personal debt besides your home mortgage and list the amounts, regardless of interest rates and payment amounts, from least to greatest. Pay minimum payments on all your larger debts to try and keep them current and all extra money available use to knock out the smallest debts one at a time. As each small debt is paid off you take the amount you were paying down on that one and roll it into your next biggest debt. Snowball will pick up steam the more small debts you pay off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts