Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My store has 10lbs of potatoes on sale for $2.99....I would love to stockup but dunno how to preserve them so they don't grow eyes or go rotten? I don't have a basement so thats out of the question...any info would be great..Thanks..

·
Registered
429 Posts
Do you have a dehydrater? You can slice them up and dry them and store in jars. You can dry them in your oven on a low temp. also.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
You can also blanch them. Then lay them out to dry off then freeze in freezer bags.
Barbara

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I can't keep potatoes from sprouting either, so I always have to do something with them when I get a good deal. I've made grated hashbrowns, stuffed potatoes, french fries, and mashed potatoes, all go in the freezer.

This is where I got the recipe for stuffed potatoes:
http://snider.mardox.com/potato.htm#timetosparespuds
There are directions there for hashbrowns/fries/mashed as well as some other recipes.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I can't keep potatoes from sprouting either, so I always have to do something with them when I get a good deal. I've made grated hashbrowns, stuffed potatoes, french fries, and mashed potatoes, all go in the freezer.

This is where I got the recipe for stuffed potatoes:
http://snider.mardox.com/potato.htm#timetosparespuds
There are directions there for hashbrowns/fries/mashed as well as some other recipes.
Thanks for the recipe site. I've wanting to know what to do with potatoes as well & these are some great recipes :thumb:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Potatoes need to be stored in a cool dark place. You still need to check them about ever month and break off any sprouts that are starting to grow.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Potatoes need to be stored in a cool dark place. You still need to check them about ever month and break off any sprouts that are starting to grow.

Have you done this? How long can you store them? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I think potatoes can be stored for quite a while under the right conditions. That's what our ancestors used to do, same as with all root crops. I was told that potatoes that you buy in the store have been stored up to six months, so definitely keep an eye on them. Sometimes the potatoes in the stores have something sprayed on them to keep them from sprouting eyes, but I have no idea what is used.
Potatoes are one of those items that seem to be getting more and more expensive to buy. I can't believe that I have seen them for as much as $4 for a 10 lb. bag. Rediculous!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think potatoes can be stored for quite a while under the right conditions. That's what our ancestors used to do, same as with all root crops. I was told that potatoes that you buy in the store have been stored up to six months, so definitely keep an eye on them. Sometimes the potatoes in the stores have something sprayed on them to keep them from sprouting eyes, but I have no idea what is used.
Potatoes are one of those items that seem to be getting more and more expensive to buy. I can't believe that I have seen them for as much as $4 for a 10 lb. bag. Rediculous!

Thanks!

$4.00 for 10lbs is very cheap compared to our prices here..5lbs of red potatoes costs anywhere from $2.99 to $3.99 when not on sale..I agree it is rediculous...I'm finding it very hard to find any good deals anymore..

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I bought a 7lb bag on sale last month for 88¢. This is the first item that I've seen mentioned on this site that is actually cheaper here.

I keep them in a cool dark place and they always sprout within a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Have you done this? How long can you store them? Thanks!
Yes I have done this. We raise potatoes in our garden every year and if you stay on top of checking them they will last for months. But you have to go thru them and check them and make sure you do not have any starting to rot. If you do get them out. They will quickly rot the others.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I have done this. We raise potatoes in our garden every year and if you stay on top of checking them they will last for months. But you have to go thru them and check them and make sure you do not have any starting to rot. If you do get them out. They will quickly rot the others.
Thanks...Where do you put them and what do you store them in? I would love to try growing potatoes in my garden again..I did it once but they had some kind of disease and I didn't even eat one of them..Have you ever used a barrel or clean garbage can to grow them in? I would like to try that route..Sorry for so many questions...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I really haven't used trash cans and the like to grow them. As far as storing them We usely get a crate from someone--like a four wheeler dealership or the such and store them in there. In one house we stored them in the corner of our basement (unheated) and in our last house we stored them in a can house. We have just got into this house but have a seperate utility room which is unheated so that is where we will store them here. Another option is to get bales of hay or straw and make a square around the crate and them cover the crate with more hay or dig a hole big enough for a trash can to fit in and put it into the ground and then store them in there and cover the lid with a good 4 to 6 inches of straw.
Hope this helps some. If you have anyother question go ahead and ask.
I will try to answer them.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
usually here its 10lbs for 3.99 sometimes 2.99 a bag. But we got 2 50lbs bage for 3.99 each. really good deal at price chopper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts